PDA

View Full Version : So why does Apple charge so much for OS X updates?

tymaster50
Jun 15, 2013, 09:00 PM
$30 is kind of high don't ya think? Especially for a laptop that costs like $1000 at it's base price. I like how they made the updates free for iOS though haha

w0lf
Jun 15, 2013, 09:09 PM
Who said it was going to cost $30?

Richdmoore
Jun 15, 2013, 09:10 PM
Have you ever bought a new version of windows?

Apple's model of $30 or so (Was the last one $20?) encourages upgrades, windows model pretty much means most people don't upgrade (until they buy a new PC).

Making ios free avoids some fragmentation, apple makes the money back when people pay for apps (which might not run without the latest ios), 30% of app sales goes to apple. Also, their main competitor also releases their upgrades for free (even if most people run the 2010 version instead of the latest one.)

At the beginning of ios, apple did charge for ios updates for the iPod touch, but they have made the updates free the last several years.

sammich
Jun 15, 2013, 09:19 PM
Entitled much?

It's $30 (or $20, as was for ML). It's barely a drop compared to the cost of an Apple laptop.

When you bought the laptop, it came included in its price the current OS. Doesn't entitle you to anything else.

Some people.

Takuro
Jun 15, 2013, 09:19 PM
$30 is kind of high don't ya think? Especially for a laptop that costs like $1000 at it's base price. I like how they made the updates free for iOS though haha

I never understood the argument "I paid $X for this product, why do I need to pay $x for an add-on." If you were willing to pay $1k for a laptop, suck it up.

OS X upgrades used to cost $100+. Windows, of course, has always traditionally cost around that much too. Microsoft tried to follow suite and eventually dropped their Windows 8 upgrade price significantly to $40, but this only lasted a few months and now the cost of an OEM upgrade disc, the absolute *cheapest* upgrade option you can get, is $90 on Amazon. Plus, Windows of course also offers several flavors with different features and price ranges, and up until Windows 8, I think there were at least *seven* options. Compare that to Mac OS X which has a low base price ($20), with the only other option being a $20 add-on to enable server functionality. Windows 8 server will run you well over $40, and it's ****.

iOS upgrades aren't always free. I remember to upgrade the iPhone 3GS to iOS 5 there was a small fee. Ironically, it became free with iOS 6. Their hand was kind of forced on this, though, because Android never charged for an upgrade. Then again, a lot of Android devices become obsolete and unable to run the latest OS after a little more than a year.

tymaster50
Jun 15, 2013, 09:20 PM
Have you ever bought a new version of windows?

Apple's model of $30 or so (Was the last one $20?) encourages upgrades, windows model pretty much means most people don't upgrade (until they buy a new PC).

Making ios free avoids some fragmentation, apple makes the money back when people pay for apps (which might not run without the latest ios), 30% of app sales goes to apple. Also, their main competitor also releases their upgrades for free (even if most people run the 2010 version instead of the latest one.)

At the beginning of ios, apple did charge for ios updates for the iPod touch, but they have made the updates free the last several years.

Tbh I've never upgraded my windows system software wise. I just hate how you can buy a laptop, then apple releases the new version the next day and you have to buy 20-30$ extra for it, lmao. They make a killing on macs anyway. I don''t understand how to even use iTunes some times you have to be up to date but it works on windows just fine on xp/vista/7/8

StevenT42
Jun 15, 2013, 09:22 PM
OS X upgrades used to cost $100+.

This. It wasn't so long ago, either.

tymaster50
Jun 15, 2013, 09:23 PM
Entitled much?

It's $30 (or $20, as was for ML). It's barely a drop compared to the cost of an Apple laptop.

When you bought the laptop, it came included in its price the current OS. Doesn't entitle you to anything else.

Some people.

entitled? I don't even have a mac. For $1300 I want a premium laptop and at least a year of updates, for $200 subsidized you get the latest iPhone and at least 3 years of updates guaranteed.

StevenT42
Jun 15, 2013, 09:23 PM
I just hate how you can buy a laptop, then apple releases the new version the next day and you have to buy 20-30$ extra for it, lmao.

Not true. Ever hear of the Mac OS X Up-To-Date program? It takes care of this case by giving free updates to the OS.

tymaster50
Jun 15, 2013, 09:28 PM
Not true. Ever hear of the Mac OS X Up-To-Date program? It takes care of this case by giving free updates to the OS.

I just saw it now. So if someone were to buy one of those new macs they demoed, and apple doesn't release mavericks within the 30 days they're just SOL?

iParis
Jun 15, 2013, 09:30 PM
I never understood the argument "I paid $X for this product, why do I need to pay $x for an add-on." If you were willing to pay $1k for a laptop, suck it up.

OS X upgrades used to cost $100+. Windows, of course, has always traditionally cost around that much too. Microsoft tried to follow suite and eventually dropped their Windows 8 upgrade price significantly to $40, but this only lasted a few months and now the cost of an OEM upgrade disc, the absolute *cheapest* upgrade option you can get, is $90 on Amazon. Plus, Windows of course also offers several flavors with different features and price ranges, and up until Windows 8, I think there were at least *seven* options. Compare that to Mac OS X which has a low base price ($20), with the only other option being a $20 add-on to enable server functionality. Windows 8 server will run you well over $40, and it's ****.

iOS upgrades aren't always free. I remember to upgrade the iPhone 3GS to iOS 5 there was a small fee. Ironically, it became free with iOS 6. Their hand was kind of forced on this, though, because Android never charged for an upgrade. Then again, a lot of Android devices become obsolete and unable to run the latest OS after a little more than a year.

.. What "fee" were you talking about? All iPhone OS / iOS upgrades were free as far as I could tell and they only made iPod touch users pay, and even then I'm pretty sure that ended around iPhone OS 3.0

dastinger
Jun 15, 2013, 10:01 PM
You buy an Apple product, be ready for all the premium accessories, OS, apps etc so be ready to pay more. Until W8, Microsoft charged way more than what Apple charges for an OS X update. In fact I'd use that as an argument if I wanted to say why Mac is better.

Galaxas0
Jun 15, 2013, 11:14 PM

The market for a Mac or PC is VASTLY different from that of a Mobile OS such as iOS or Android. You probably shouldn't be comparing them. 30$ is absolutely nothing for the price of an OS update. Take a look at Windows prices (~200$) and prices of Mac OS X before 10.6 (~150$). I think you're expecting a bit much here...

benwiggy
Jun 16, 2013, 01:57 AM
OS X has been $19.99 for the last two versions. If you don't think it's even worth that much to you, then obviously you don't value any of the new features and so shouldn't get it.

Even $30 is an absolutely steal. People have done work: you should pay them for it.

simsaladimbamba
Jun 16, 2013, 02:05 AM
Software update, upgrade--what's the difference? (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1444)
Key differences

A software update is usually downloadable free of charge; a software upgrade usually is not.
A software upgrade usually increments the first "dot" number of a product (for example OS X Lion v10.7, Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6); a downloadable software update usually increments second "dot" number (for example, Mac OS X v10.7.4).

MikhailT
Jun 16, 2013, 03:29 AM

What does the laptop cost have anything to do with OS upgrades? Once you buy a laptop, it includes the OS price already. You're not entitled to free software or hardware upgrades at all. You are only entitled to the software package that comes with the laptops, nothing more.

As for the price, no, it isn't high. In fact, it is too low. I'd gladly pay $50 at least for an awesome OS upgrade. However, if Apple is releasing an OS X upgrade that fixes many of the stuff that previous OS X didn't do right, they should release it for much lower prices and that's exactly what they're doing by setting it to 20$ instead of 120$.

You don't want to pay that much, there's a simple solution: don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you to buy an OS upgrade.

twintin
Jun 16, 2013, 04:29 AM
I just saw it now. So if someone were to buy one of those new macs they demoed, and apple doesn't release mavericks within the 30 days they're just SOL?

The 30 days is the time you have to make the claim for the free upgrade. It has nothing to do with the actual release date of the new OS (even if MV was delayed say 6 month, your made claim would still be valid).

Last year even those who bought a new MAC 2 weeks before the launch of ML could make similar claim for a free upgrade for almost 2 month. After that the fee was 19 USD (not 30).

Jun 16, 2013, 04:50 AM
entitled? I don't even have a mac. For $1300 I want a premium laptop and at least a year of updates, for $200 subsidized you get the latest iPhone and at least 3 years of updates guaranteed.

The best answer to your question is: how much does Windows cost, even at its "starter" editions? ;)

maflynn
Jun 16, 2013, 04:55 AM
$30 is kind of high don't ya think?
Nope not at all. Consider how much Microsoft charges for an upgrade.

Apple used to charge 125 and you'd get a couple of years of updates (bug fixes), they're now on an annual update and charge a lot less. You still get bug fixes through out the year

sofianito
Jun 16, 2013, 07:01 AM
Windows & Linux operating systems suck. I personally buy apple hardware because of OS X. It is much more stable, powerful, integrated, and improves my productivity. I don't have or can't waste time trying to hackintosh, but if apple made OS X available for other platforms and hardware such as does Windows, then I wouldn't buy anymore apple hardware (too expensive), and I wouldn't mind to pay more than $100 for every OS X release...

OS X upgrades should be free for the premium price you are paying for apple hardware...

Apple fanboy
Jun 16, 2013, 07:10 AM
Windows & Linux operating systems suck. I personally buy apple hardware because of OS X. It is much more stable, powerful, integrated, and improves my productivity. I don't have or can't waste time trying to hackintosh, but if apple made OS X available for other platforms and hardware such as does Windows, then I wouldn't buy anymore apple hardware (too expensive), and I wouldn't mind to pay more than $100 for every OS X release...

OS X upgrades should be free for the premium price you are paying for apple hardware...

Or perhaps are reasonably priced due to the premium operating system you get for just a few . You say the other options suck, but then moan about having to pay such a small amount for a great, stable platform. Some people....

sofianito
Jun 16, 2013, 07:44 AM
Or perhaps are reasonably priced due to the premium operating system you get for just a few . You say the other options suck, but then moan about having to pay such a small amount for a great, stable platform. Some people....

This premium OS is also based on the hard work of the open source community: Darwin (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system))...

Don't you think paying an apple notebook + apple care is not enough to entitle you to have free updates + upgrades during three years? :confused:

rainydays
Jun 16, 2013, 07:49 AM
I'm surprised that anyone thinks the MacOS updates are expensive. To me they are very reasonably priced nowdays.
Compare that to Adobe Creative Cloud which is $49/month.

AlbertEinstein
Jun 16, 2013, 07:50 AM
This premium OS is also based on the hard work of the open source community: Darwin (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system))...

Don't you think paying an apple notebook + apple care is not enough to entitle you to have free updates + upgrades during three years? :confused:

No.

maflynn
Jun 16, 2013, 07:51 AM

You can pay the premium price on a windows PC as well, that does not guarantee that you get Windows upgrades for free.

If you (or anyone else) thinks 20 or 30 bucks is too much, then don't upgrade. Its kind of ridiculous to complain about spending 30 bucks on a major upgrade.

rainydays
Jun 16, 2013, 07:54 AM

But you do get updates for free. Only the point releases are extra.

Concorde Rules
Jun 16, 2013, 08:07 AM

Nope.

*Has bought every version of OS X ever released*

SprSynJn
Jun 16, 2013, 08:15 AM
I always felt that Apple giving away iOS updates for free was very reasonable, mainly because they never were very different between versions. However, 7 looks like they should be charging for it with all that we are getting, but they will give it away for free yes? I also have felt that the last several Mac OS updates were far too cheap for what we get. If I were ever to get another Windows computer, I don't think I would ever update the OS with how much they charge. I've been spoiled.

Apple fanboy
Jun 16, 2013, 08:18 AM

Personally I don't mind paying the small upgrade fee as well. There is a cost to ongoing development and why shouldn't I contribute to that? Sadly there is a group of people who think paying for software is an option. Personally all the content on my computers and devices are paid for. When new upgrades become available you can chose to pay for them and upgrade or not. I know what I'll be doing in September.

iDuel
Jun 16, 2013, 08:21 AM
I personally believe that the OS X upgrade pricing is very reasonable. $29-30 is nothing for what you get.

aristobrat
Jun 16, 2013, 08:32 AM
iOS upgrades aren't always free. I remember to upgrade the iPhone 3GS to iOS 5 there was a small fee. Ironically, it became free with iOS 6. Their hand was kind of forced on this, though, because Android never charged for an upgrade.
IMO, the whole thing about free OS upgrades is made amazingly confusing by the US financial reporting requirements that publicly traded companies like Apple and Microsoft are legally forced to follow.

All iPhone iOS updates have been free. I think you might be thinking of having to have paid for an iPod touch update, because not all of those have been free.

Awhile ago, in order to give free OS upgrades, a company had to take the money you gave them to buy the product, and spread it out over the life of the product.

When you bought an iPhone for $649 (well, you paid $200, and your carrier paid the rest, but Apple essentially got $649), Apple couldn't take the $649 and book it as sales. Instead, they had to set your $649 to the side, and could only count $27/month towards sales, over the next 24 months.

Same with the AppleTV. But for whatever reason, they didn't use the same type of accounting with the iPod touch, which is why they couldn't initially provide the iPod touch upgrades for free.

According to this BusinessInsider article (http://www.businessinsider.com/henry-blodget-new-apple-iphone-accounting-change-could-send-profits-and-stock-to-moon-2009-9), tech companies lobbied and got that accounting rule somewhat changed. Companies can now split the price of a product between its hardware and software, and they only have to set the price of the software to the side, and move that $$ monthly into their "sales" column over a certain number of months. That's when the iPod touch updates became free.

----------

How does that logic work? There are many Windows notebooks that cost more that Macs, but yet Windows upgrade still cost 5x more.

And you're kidding about Darwin, right?

Darwin is an open source POSIX-compliant computer operating system released by Apple Inc. in 2000. It is composed of code developed by Apple, as well as code derived from NeXTSTEP, BSD, and other free software projects.

benwiggy
Jun 16, 2013, 08:36 AM
Sigh, this old chestnut. Apple's hardware is NOT "premium price". Try putting together a similar piece of hardware from Dell or any other manufacturer, or even from parts yourself.
You won't find Apple more than a couple of hundred dollars more. Now factor in the quality of the unibody form, little things like the MagLock power lead, the display; yes, even the design of the object -- and then stick OS X on top.

Apple sell a product: hardware and software together. If it has value for you, then you have to be prepared to pay what they charge for it, or go elsewhere. You can "vote with your wallet" by not paying them, if you think it's too much, and maybe they'll lower their prices if enough people feel the same way.

sofianito
Jun 16, 2013, 09:33 AM
And you're kidding about Darwin, right?

Don't you know Mac OS X is based on Mach3 microkernel and FreeBSD?

Who killed Hexley? (http://unixnetwork.wordpress.com/2013/02/10/who-killed-hexley/)

SandboxGeneral
Jun 16, 2013, 09:37 AM

For the amount of work they put into OS X for every version and every patch, $30 is dirt cheap. Especially considering that they used to charge around $130 for a new version just a few years ago. Additionally, you can spend $30 on it and put it on up to 5 Mac's.

Now that they've gone to digital downloads for the OS they've eliminated a lot of overhead in printing disc's, packaging, and shipping which likely allowed them to reduce the cost as well.

Then, as others have already said, the competitor to OS X being Microsoft Windows is far worse. To buy Windows is far more expensive depending on which version you go with.

aristobrat
Jun 16, 2013, 09:39 AM
Don't you know Mac OS X is based on Mach3 microkernel and FreeBSD?
Oh, I know that. I have a feeling that I've been running various Unix distributions for longer than you've been out of grade school. I just thought you trying to use that as a point to try and justify that Apple shouldn't charge for OS X updates was pretty weak.

Shrink
Jun 16, 2013, 09:41 AM
For the amount of work they put into OS X for every version and every patch, $30 is dirt cheap. Especially considering that they used to charge around $130 for a new version just a few years ago. Additionally, you can spend $30 on it and put it on up to 5 Mac's.

Now that they've gone to digital downloads for the OS they've eliminated a lot of overhead in printing disc's, packaging, and shipping which likely allowed them to reduce the cost as well.

Then, as others have already said, the competitor to OS X being Microsoft Windows is far worse. To buy Windows is far more expensive depending on which version you go with.

This ^^^^

I always thought that the OS X upgrades were about the least expensive things Apple offered.

$20 - $30 barely buys you an Apple box!

HenryDJP
Jun 16, 2013, 09:43 AM
I personally believe that the OS X upgrade pricing is very reasonable. $29-30 is nothing for what you get.

I couldn't agree more. IMO, anyone complaining about a mere $30 for an OS upgrade is only using their computer for web surfing. Anyone using their Mac for productivity, work, editing and such won't bark at $30 because their Mac is their tool of necessity.
The OP doesn't even have a Mac and he's trippin' about a $30 upgrade. He shouldn't bother buying Apple products if that's such a major problem. I've been on Mac since OS 8 so I'm used to the $129 upgrade prices.

Give someone something free and they'll still say you're charging too much. ;)

sofianito
Jun 16, 2013, 10:00 AM
I have a feeling that I've been running various Unix distributions for longer than you've been out of grade school.

Haha, now you are just guessing...

Quizz: I have been working the last 7 years for the company that made solaris... ;)

tymaster50
Jun 16, 2013, 10:00 AM
Now you guys are just repeating each other. This thread can be closed now.

sofianito
Jun 16, 2013, 10:52 AM
I couldn't agree more. IMO, anyone complaining about a mere $30 for an OS upgrade is only using their computer for web surfing. Anyone using their Mac for productivity, work, editing and such won't bark at $30 because their Mac is their tool of necessity.
The OP doesn't even have a Mac and he's trippin' about a $30 upgrade. He shouldn't bother buying Apple products if that's such a major problem. I've been on Mac since OS 8 so I'm used to the $129 upgrade prices.

Give someone something free and they'll still say you're charging too much. ;)

Couldn't agree more! The $2700 15" retina is very cheap, they should charge us more! Not to mention the built-in accessories we used to have: $29 is very cheap for a TB to ethernet adapter, who cares for another $29 for firewire adapter, it is still very cheap!. $79 for the usb SuperDrive, maaan, this is one of the cheapest must have accessories...:rolleyes:

Apple is expert in giving the right dosis at the right time... We are all tripping out with this thread... It's time to desintoxicate...:D

MrNomNoms
Jun 16, 2013, 11:22 AM

1) It isn't funny so drop the haha part.
2) It is an upgrade not an update.
3) Updates are free of charge.
4) $30 allows you to install it on up to 5 computers - come back and tell me when Microsoft is charging a similar price for the same number of computers at their regular retail prices (non-discounted price).

MeatRocket
Jun 16, 2013, 11:43 AM
I'm a Windows / Cisco systems engineer & I can attest to the fact that Mac OSX is about the cheapest operating system in the market. And while my bread & butter is supporting MS/Cisco, I think Apple really does do their computing community a great service in how they do OS upgrades & even out-right purchases.

Apple used to charge a large amount for their proprietary OS's. Anyone here who remembers OS 7.6-OS 9.2 (the versions I used in my early days) knows that the upgrades cost well over $130 and could only be used on 1 Mac. I think Apple became very altruistic in regards to their OS when they crossed over into OS X. The initial development cost to get the Linux kernel right on their hardware came at a price & they continued the $100+ pricing scheme. Once they entered a somewhat stable development process & were able to incorporate more open-source components into the OS, they started reducing the price. And, as another poster commented, once they went with digital downloads & got rid of traditional packaging & distribution methods, they passed on even more savings to their user base. This has given me great respect for Apple in this area.

So, in short, I have absolutely no problem paying for major OS updates, especially at the rates they're charging. If you want to see expensive, just look into what upgrading a Cisco device from one version to the next minor version costs (say IOS 12.3.55 E3 to 12.3.55 E5). Once you pick your jaw up off the floor, head back over to the App Store & happily pay the paltry $20 for the latest OS X. :D

aristobrat
Jun 16, 2013, 12:00 PM
Haha, now you are just guessing...

Quizz: I have been working the last 7 years for the company that made solaris... ;)
Surely if overpriced hardware and paying for software upgrades are challenges to your ethos, you haven't been drawing a paycheck from the company that practically wrote the book on those subjects? :eek:

So to your point that expensive pieces of hardware should come with free OS upgrades for three years, any thoughts on Microsoft charging people who bought $2699 14" Alienware laptops (or $2599 Dell XPS All-In-One desktop) 6x-10x more $$ to upgrade their OS than Apple charges?

sofianito
Jun 16, 2013, 12:40 PM
Surely if overpriced hardware and paying for software upgrades are challenges to your ethos, you haven't been drawing a paycheck from the company that practically wrote the book on those subjects? :eek:

So to your point that expensive pieces of hardware should come with free OS upgrades for three years, any thoughts on Microsoft charging people who bought $2699 14" Alienware laptops (or $2599 Dell XPS All-In-One desktop) 6x-10x more $$ to upgrade their OS than Apple charges?

Think about it: How many major upgrades does apple in 3 years? 2 at most? Provided I purchase a 3 years applecare, and knowing I probably won't use it, then a $40 discount for purchasing AC would be more than welcomed!

I paid all my OS X upgrades and as a personal "free" opinion, I can tell you that Lion was a waste of money...

Nobody cares about Microsoft, because nobody likes their products...

SandboxGeneral
Jun 16, 2013, 12:49 PM
Nobody cares about Microsoft, because nobody likes their products...

I care about Microsoft in general and I do like some of their products. For example their Office Suite and Windows 7 are great examples of some fine work by Microsoft.

coldjeanzzz
Jun 16, 2013, 12:53 PM
I'm willing to pay for the upgrades if I can look at the updates and see that they are worth it.

To me it seems like Mavericks is worth it. They are slowly doing away with the unnecessary animations and focusing more on efficiency and battery power. And hopefully Maps will turn out to be as great as it seems.

aristobrat
Jun 16, 2013, 01:14 PM
Think about it: How many major upgrades does apple in 3 years? 2 at most? Provided I purchase a 3 years applecare, and knowing I probably won't use it, then a $40 discount for purchasing AC would be more than welcomed!
It's odd to me to hear someone who brought up the law of attraction in a post a few days ago consistently speak from the vantage point of 'shortage' in this thread.

On the subject of this thread ("So why does Apple charge so much for OS X updates?"), objectively compared to price that 99.99% of the folks w/o Apple's pay to upgrade the OS of their consumer PC market, Apple doesn't overcharge. Apple charges 6x-10x less.

surjavarman
Jun 16, 2013, 01:27 PM
I already paid a premium when I bought hardware from Apple. I expect this premium to include any future software updates for as long as this machine is being used. For me that is about 5 years. I think its wrong to force people to buy a lifetime subscription of $30/year just to get any future performance improvements and security updates.

I can basically get all the new features now with 3rd party apps and I find OS X bloated and too iOS-ified since SL. I don't want to pay for that just to have Apple support my hardware which I have just owned for 1 year or that has about 80% of its life left.

Most linux distributions are free and offer more cutting edge technology. I didn't even pay a premium for it.

canadianpj
Jun 16, 2013, 01:28 PM

So you're just wasting our time and trolling for no reason?

Bear
Jun 16, 2013, 01:35 PM
entitled? I don't even have a mac. For $1300 I want a premium laptop and at least a year of updates, for $200 subsidized you get the latest iPhone and at least 3 years of updates guaranteed.You do get OS X updates for free, you just don't get upgrades.

As for the $200 subsidized phone, you're paying more than the retail price over the course of the contract for the phone. It's subsidized by your monthly contract fee.

sofianito
Jun 16, 2013, 01:40 PM
So, in short, I have absolutely no problem paying for major OS updates, especially at the rates they're charging. If you want to see expensive, just look into what upgrading a Cisco device from one version to the next minor version costs (say IOS 12.3.55 E3 to 12.3.55 E5). Once you pick your jaw up off the floor, head back over to the App Store & happily pay the paltry $20 for the latest OS X. :D

I am confident you are already aware that enterprise products and support are quite different beasts from consumer products. Apple has been smart enough to target the more vulnerable and influenced consumer market. I can't imagine apple trying to charge thousand of dollars enterprise customers just for a design of a slim unibody rack server signed by Jon Ive... :D

MeatRocket
Jun 16, 2013, 01:57 PM
I can't imagine apple trying to charge thousand of dollars enterprise customers just for a design of a slim unibody rack server signed by Jon Ive... :D

Hahaha! Yeah, but you just KNOW there are some users out there who would pay for it!

sofianito
Jun 16, 2013, 02:04 PM
It's odd to me to hear someone who brought up the law of attraction in a post a few days ago consistently speak from the vantage point of 'shortage' in this thread.

You are mixing up things. According to you, applying the WYTIWYG pattern means I must agree with whatever dictates a corporation?

HenryDJP
Jun 16, 2013, 02:27 PM
I already paid a premium when I bought hardware from Apple. I expect this premium to include any future software updates for as long as this machine is being used. For me that is about 5 years. I think its wrong to force people to buy a lifetime subscription of $30/year just to get any future performance improvements and security updates.

I can basically get all the new features now with 3rd party apps and I find OS X bloated and too iOS-ified since SL. I don't want to pay for that just to have Apple support my hardware which I have just owned for 1 year or that has about 80% of its life left.

Most linux distributions are free and offer more cutting edge technology. I didn't even pay a premium for it.

You are seriously confusing "UPGRADES" with "UPDATES". Apple gives free updates for years to come when you buy a Mac. Security updates, Firmwares and the like. You paid for a computer that came with an OS that works best with that hardware and the software of that generation. You're entitled to having a working system. If you're expecting them to give you new features in those free "UPDATES" then you've got to be kidding. :rolleyes:

MikhailT
Jun 16, 2013, 02:33 PM

That's your fault for expecting as such. You do get free software updates, just don't expect any free upgrades.

Unless you sign a contract with Apple to provide you with free *life of hardware* software upgrades, you are not entitled anything, period.

You bought a premium for the hardware and the software it came with, the software already has a decade of development+improvements behind it. You will get free updates.

You do not buy hardware for its future, you buy it for the present stuff on the hardware. If you want the future stuff, you have to wait and then buy the hardware with that future OS.

How about thinking about this in a different way. Apple did not include the OS prices in the premium cost and let you do this optionally by buying the OS upgrades. Shocking concept, I know!

ihuman:D
Jun 16, 2013, 02:48 PM

Nearly everything about your post screams "ignorance".

Carl Sagan
Jun 16, 2013, 03:00 PM
OS X Lion cost just over 20. OSX Mountain Lion cost 14.99. Hardly breaking the bank are they?:rolleyes:

sofianito
Jun 16, 2013, 03:25 PM
Nearly everything about your post screams "ignorance".

Everything about your tweet screams e...in..s

I'll let you fill the gaps as an exercise ;)

benwiggy
Jun 16, 2013, 03:32 PM
I already paid a premium when I bought hardware from Apple. I expect this premium to include any future software updates for as long as this machine is being used. For me that is about 5 years.
I expect fairies to wash the dishes and do my laundry. Sadly, neither of our expectations is realistic.

Jun 16, 2013, 03:36 PM
Everything about your tweet screams e...in..s

I'll let you fill the gaps as an exercise ;)

As I said, "ignorance". ;) :)

PS: This isn't Twitter. ;) :)

HenryDJP
Jun 16, 2013, 03:44 PM

You really should take the time and learn about operating systems before posting such nonsense. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, period.
What you said about Linux, good grief. :rolleyes:, and it's obvious you don't understand that OS X is optimized to run on the Mac hardware. It's not just about a hard drive and ram so running it on any system won't give you the same experience as using a Mac. There's firmware involved and the like.

And everything else you said, gimme a break. :rolleyes:

sofianito
Jun 16, 2013, 03:48 PM
As I said, "ignorance". ;) :)

PS: This isn't Twitter. ;) :)

Good try, but the first letter is e, not i.

I meant your contribution to this thread is short as a tweet, but sadly it screamed "emptiness" :) ;)

sparkyms
Jun 16, 2013, 03:50 PM
What I don't get is people using the word 'premium' here.

Apple products cost what they cost, you pay for the specs of the machine and the OS specified on the box, unless you're buying within an 'up-to-date' period. If you don't want to pay that, or only pay that expecting more in the future, then its your problem and no-one else's.

A premium would be the cost of the laptop, plus an extra 'safeguard' fee to keep that OS up to date - and no, Applecare is not part of that, thats a hardware 'premium'.

Personally, the fact that I can buy an OS upgrade for my mac, and then use that to upgrade my wife's, and my dad's macs is outstanding for a price as low as 15.

Jun 16, 2013, 04:19 PM
Good try, but the first letter is e, not i.

I meant your contribution to this thread is short as a tweet, but sadly it screamed "emptiness" :) ;)

Ignorance.... ;) :)

The cost of OS X isn't expensive at all, it's only €20 compared to €120 for the Windows 8 Standard Edition Update.

sofianito
Jun 16, 2013, 04:36 PM
What I don't get is people using the word 'premium' here.

Apple products cost what they cost, you pay for the specs of the machine and the OS specified on the box, unless you're buying within an 'up-to-date' period. If you don't want to pay that, or only pay that expecting more in the future, then its your problem and no-one else's.

A premium would be the cost of the laptop, plus an extra 'safeguard' fee to keep that OS up to date - and no, Applecare is not part of that, thats a hardware 'premium'.

Personally, the fact that I can buy an OS upgrade for my mac, and then use that to upgrade my wife's, and my dad's macs is outstanding for a price as low as 15.

If you sum the price of all your family's macs, then paying $20-$30 for an upgrade sounds like your loyality is not rewarded...

People purchase systematically AppleCare whenever they buy a new computer, especially if it is a retina model. Chances are you would never have to use it because Apple has already calculated the risks and estimated you probably would not need it during the first 3 years. What happens with those loyal customers? Simply put, no bonus at all...

If you ever contracted a car insurance, and did not have any accident the first year, then you know you get bonified and will pay less next year... This is a fair model, but AppleCare don't care...

tymaster50
Jun 16, 2013, 04:48 PM
So you're just wasting our time and trolling for no reason?

A question is now trolling. Did I ever state that I had a mac? I asked an innocent question. Nobody forced you to reply. K bai.

sofianito
Jun 16, 2013, 05:11 PM
You really should take the time and learn about operating systems before posting such nonsense. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, period.
What you said about Linux, good grief. :rolleyes:, and it's obvious you don't understand that OS X is optimized to run on the Mac hardware. It's not just about a hard drive and ram so running it on any system won't give you the same experience as using a Mac. There's firmware involved and the like.

When I said Linux sucks, it was about the bad UI and user experience provided by the current desktop managers: Gnome, KDE,...etc.

Let me ask you some questions. Does apple build their computers using:
Intel processors and chipsets?
Intel iGPU?
Nvidia or AMD dGPU?
Intel gigabit ethernet?
Broadcom or atheros WIFI?
The Mobo has a different form factor nothing more nothing less.

What firmware you are talking about? The UEFI firmware? Again, UEFi is a standard.

Don't you know Mac OS X run on some PCs that have similar specs?

so running it on any system won't give you the same experience as using a Mac. There's firmware involved and the like.

As you seam a knowledgeable person, I am eager to read your details regarding the different experience, firmware, and the like?

spyguy10709
Jun 16, 2013, 05:17 PM

Then run darwin, and tell me if it's the exact same thing as using OS X.

Lolz

sofianito
Jun 16, 2013, 05:31 PM
Then run darwin, and tell me if it's the exact same thing as using OS X.

Lolz

Darwin is the base of, not Mac OS X. Apple took from but didn't give back to the community...

Bear
Jun 16, 2013, 05:37 PM
Darwin is the base of, not Mac OS X. Apple took from but didn't give back to the community...Actually who do you think put Darwin out as open source in the first place? Wikipedia has that in detail: Darwin (operating system) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_%28operating_system%29)

appleisking
Jun 16, 2013, 05:38 PM
Really people are comparing an ios upgrade to mac os. You've got to be joking. And it's just 20 bucks for the love of. Also, nobody is forcing you to buy it. Why is microsoft allowed to charge 120 bucks on their os?

sofianito
Jun 16, 2013, 05:50 PM
Actually who do you think put Darwin out as open source in the first place? Wikipedia has that in detail: Darwin (operating system) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_%28operating_system%29)

So you are pretending Mach3 microkernel and FreeBSD belong to apple?:D. Read the link I posted in this thread about "who killed Hexley?".

rainydays
Jun 16, 2013, 05:58 PM

LOL, it's funny that you try to reprimand someone when you don't have a clue about what you are talking about yourself.

mmomega
Jun 16, 2013, 06:47 PM
It would be nice to get free OS updates but it has never worked that way as far as I can remember.

I bought an Alienware before they got bought out by Dell, '03, that was a premium system around $2,500 and I didn't get a free Windows upgrade.

Or the $1,900 HP system I got in 2000, I had to buy Win XP 3 months later.:roll eyes:

Either way, if someone frequents this website then they should be on top of when a new OS X is coming out and be able to plan for that if you need to.

A new OS update for a year costs as much as 3-4 cheeseburgers,
speaking of ..McDonalds has a new 1/4lb burger out but I just bought the older version last week, where's my free upgrade.

sofianito
Jun 16, 2013, 07:23 PM
It would be nice to get free OS updates but it has never worked that way as far as I can remember.

I bought an Alienware before they got bought out by Dell, '03, that was a premium system around $2,500 and I didn't get a free Windows upgrade.

Or the $1,900 HP system I got in 2000, I had to buy Win XP 3 months later.:roll eyes:

Either way, if someone frequents this website then they should be on top of when a new OS X is coming out and be able to plan for that if you need to.

A new OS update for a year costs as much as 3-4 cheeseburgers,
speaking of ..McDonalds has a new 1/4lb burger out but I just bought the older version last week, where's my free upgrade.

Why Apple doesn't invite its loyal customers to have 3-4 cheeseburgers a year? :) Won't you feel special?

maflynn
Jun 16, 2013, 07:39 PM
[MOD NOTE]
I think the debate on this topic done.