PDA

View Full Version : OS X 10.9 Maverick - Battery Life

actisys
Jun 16, 2013, 02:37 AM
I would like to know whether Maverick will let you have longer battery usage on any other MBP or rMBP ? Anyone has this experience please share your thought.

I've used my MBP 15" late 2011 on Maverick for couple of days.. Below is my screenshot on battery mode showing 8hrs for 96% .. I'm not sure how accurate is this but I only running few tab on Safari and Messages ..I don't think it can last 8hrs...maybe only on surfing text? I think slightly 10% battery life increased after upgrade to Maverick

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx216/actisys/ScreenShot2013-06-16at41332PM_zpsc0f54496.png

Thanks.

Hyuga
Jun 16, 2013, 03:35 AM
I noticed 30-60 minute improvement with my rMBP.

I would like to know whether Maverick will let you have longer battery usage on any other MBP or rMBP ? Anyone has this experience please share your thought.

Thanks.

Baklava
Jun 16, 2013, 04:35 AM
I currently have an issue when my MBP is in sleep mode. I close the lid before sleeping. When I open it next day, the battery has almost no power anymore.

Hyuga
Jun 16, 2013, 05:03 AM
My second dev rMBP had that problem too, then I removed a lot of unnecessary programs from OS X and repaired permissions with disk utility, after reboot sleep worked as before.

Also remember to disable Power Nap.

I currently have an issue when my MBP is in sleep mode. I close the lid before sleeping. When I open it next day, the battery has almost no power anymore.

SlCKB0Y
Jun 16, 2013, 07:05 AM

Why?

leman
Jun 16, 2013, 07:37 AM

Same here

Hyuga
Jun 16, 2013, 08:14 AM
I had it enabled in my battery profile and noticed slight increase of battery usage when in sleep mode.

Of course it could be my head as I have not heard others have same problem, yet.

But, if there is some problem in it, I expect it to be fixed in following months, thus I will try to enable it back after 3-4 updates.

Why?

kristoffer4
Jun 16, 2013, 11:57 AM
Why?

I thought power nap only ran when plugged in? :confused:

MacReloaded
Jun 16, 2013, 12:02 PM
I thought power nap only ran when plugged in? :confused:

By default, yes. But you could also enable it when unplugged.

Baklava
Jun 16, 2013, 03:13 PM
I unfortunately don't have this option under System Preferences > Energy Saver.

Krazy Bill
Jun 16, 2013, 03:34 PM
Below is my screenshot on battery mode showing 8hrs for 96% ..Why do so many people rely on what the battery stats say? It's just a guess. It changes constantly depending on what you are doing. I suppose if you just sit and stare at that "8 hour" banner while doing nothing else, you just might get close.

The only way to determine how much time you get out of charge is to time it yourself. No two people will get the exact same usage time.

'Arry
Jun 16, 2013, 05:06 PM
I unfortunately don't have this option under System Preferences > Energy Saver.Power Nap is only for Retina MacBook Pro, and Macbook Air since 2010 (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5394). If you have a conventional MBP, you can't use Power Nap, so that probably explains why there's no option for it in System Preferences.

SlCKB0Y
Jun 16, 2013, 11:54 PM
I had it enabled in my battery profile and noticed slight increase of battery usage when in sleep mode.

Of course it could be my head as I have not heard others have same problem, yet.

But, if there is some problem in it, I expect it to be fixed in following months, thus I will try to enable it back after 3-4 updates.

Isn't that expected behaviour? Power nap is doing stuff at intervals whilst your Mac is "sleeping". This has to consume more power whilst sleeping than if it was not enabled.

This feature was introduced in Mountain Lion so you should be able to find out if what you are seeing is expected.

Hyuga
Jun 17, 2013, 01:34 AM
My apologies, I should have given more detailed message.

I had it enabled before in 10.8 and noticed after upgrading to 10.9 dp1 that it consumes more battery, or so I at least think.

Isn't that expected behaviour? Power nap is doing stuff at intervals whilst your Mac is "sleeping". This has to consume more power whilst sleeping than if it was not enabled.

This feature was introduced in Mountain Lion so you should be able to find out if what you are seeing is expected.

wermy
Jun 17, 2013, 02:51 PM
Has anyone with a 2013 MBA tried it yet? The battery life on those is already ridiculously good, I'm wondering how much more it will improve with Mavericks. :D

playsontheleft
Jun 17, 2013, 03:17 PM
Weird. Clean install onto a new partition on my rMBP cut my battery life right down; from 7-8+ hours on a full charge to only 4 or so. I found my battery life to be really excellent under Mountain Lion but for some reason Mavericks is sucking the machine dry. Pretty stumped given that it's from a clean install...

What did you guys do in order to achieve these battery lives? Anything special?

MikesGravity
Jun 17, 2013, 03:19 PM

Did you notice Mavericks run a little smoother than ML on the rMBP?

Hyuga
Jun 17, 2013, 03:59 PM
Did you notice Mavericks run a little smoother than ML on the rMBP?

Not anything big, I noticed that it runs bit smoother when you switch between spaces, and of course scrolling is a lot better in safari now, especially if you don't use native scaling.

Hyuga
Jun 17, 2013, 04:12 PM
Weird. Clean install onto a new partition on my rMBP cut my battery life right down; from 7-8+ hours on a full charge to only 4 or so. I found my battery life to be really excellent under Mountain Lion but for some reason Mavericks is sucking the machine dry. Pretty stumped given that it's from a clean install...

I was aggressively watching energy tab in activity monitor first few days, and noticed that Safari overall uses most battery in my system. It seemed that safari had trouble with some web pages and they consumed a lot of cpu in the background. Also afterwards I put ClickToFlash back to my safari.

Just watch activity monitor and try to find what is using all your battery.

Hyuga
Jun 19, 2013, 04:53 PM
For people who are interested, see attachment.

Battery lasted successfully (2.6GHz rMBP) flight from USA to Europe, wlan and bt off, brightness was usually around 10-20%. Computer was sleeping during inflight meal.

No surfing with Safari, twice watched short 1080p movies with VLC and listened music from iTunes. Rest of the time it was Word and Excel.

Quercus Alba
Jun 19, 2013, 06:47 PM
For people who are interested, see attachment.

Battery lasted successfully (2.6GHz rMBP) flight from USA to Europe, wlan and bt off, brightness was usually around 10-20%. Computer was sleeping during inflight meal.

No surfing with Safari, twice watched short 1080p movies with VLC and listened music from iTunes. Rest of the time it was Word and Excel.

Wow, that looks great!

Infinitewisdom
Jun 23, 2013, 10:05 PM
anyone else try? also curious to see battery life improvements on the Haswell Macbook Airs running Mavericks.

hunt2013
Jun 23, 2013, 10:36 PM
anyone else try? also curious to see battery life improvements on the Haswell Macbook Airs running Mavericks.

I just got my maxed out 2013 13 inch MBA. On 10.8.4 I got 13 hours. On 10.9

Wait for it...

16 hours on good days with just Safari.

It rocks

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 23, 2013, 10:42 PM
...On 10.9

Wait for it...

16 hours.
i5 or i7 processor? I think i5, not!?

Infinitewisdom
Jun 23, 2013, 11:08 PM

Wait for it...

It rocks

Wow, interesting. What brightness settings? Keyboard backlight on/off? Bluetooth on/off?

javier13javier
Jun 24, 2013, 01:49 AM

Wait for it...

It rocks

That's awesome!

throAU
Jun 24, 2013, 04:15 AM
I've noticed a 15-20% gain in battery life with my 2011 MBP 15", too.

Not scientifically measured, but I've managed to get 6+ hours on battery browsing with a fairly flash-heavy website (cisco netacad.com)

The GPU switching is much more intelligent and you can also find out which app is causing the discrete GPU to kick on now too.

hunt2013
Jun 24, 2013, 05:31 PM
i5 or i7 processor? I think i5, not!?

i7 Processor

NewbieCanada
Jun 24, 2013, 07:04 PM
Been surfing and posting here for the last hour on my rMBP. Screen brightness is at 5th bar.

Just checked the battery.

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 24, 2013, 07:19 PM
i7 Processor
Thanks for the info! If that is true...

10 minutes later

...still unbelievable. :D

lucasrant
Jun 25, 2013, 10:30 AM
Have you guys noticed any change in battery life between dp 1 and 2?
I installed dp 1 on my 2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro and battery life was awful so I had to go back to mountain lion. Hopefully this new beta will be different!

throAU
Jun 25, 2013, 10:33 AM
Have you guys noticed any change in battery life between dp 1 and 2?
I installed dp 1 on my 2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro and battery life was awful so I had to go back to mountain lion. Hopefully this new beta will be different!

My battery life improvement was on DP1. Its possible you have a driver or something that doesn't work with the new kernel interrupt coalescing or something and that impacted battery life.

Haven't tested DP2 on battery yet, will do so in the next few days (just installed a few hours ago).

But DP1 for me was great.

throAU
Jun 25, 2013, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the info! If that is true...

10 minutes later

...still unbelievable. :D

i5/i7 both use similar power when 99.9% idle, as most machines are most of the time.

it may chew more when doing more, it may race to sleep faster.

Power consumption between i5/i7 = meh.

kristoffer4
Jun 26, 2013, 06:21 AM

Wait for it...

It rocks

Crazy! :eek:

ValSalva
Jun 26, 2013, 08:20 AM
I'm running Mavericks on a 2009 C2D 3.06 GHz 15" MBP and I notice about a 20-25% improvement in battery life.

hunt2013
Jun 27, 2013, 01:16 AM
After my 16 Hours of battery life I thought it couldn't get better.

Nope.

DP 2. 18 hours with Safari and Mail open.

TigerMe
Jun 27, 2013, 07:24 AM
I'm getting INSANELY GOOD battery life using DP2 on a 15-inch rMBP i7. I have seen a 30%-40% increase in battery life when having a lot of apps open (tweetbot, outlook, lync, reeder, mail). I'm very impressed.

wermy
Jun 27, 2013, 07:53 AM

Nope.

Wow! I'll probably wait for one or two more DPs and then take the plunge. That sounds awesome. :)

thelookingglass
Jun 27, 2013, 02:21 PM

Nope.

Impressive. What brightness level are you at?

Prime85
Jun 27, 2013, 03:50 PM
Looks like i am the only one getting worse battery on Mavericks than mountain lion. i am getting about 4 hours compared to around 7 with ML.

Davmeister
Jun 28, 2013, 11:37 AM
Looks like i am the only one getting worse battery on Mavericks than mountain lion. i am getting about 4 hours compared to around 7 with ML.

Not the only one. Me too.

WhackyNinja
Jun 28, 2013, 07:57 PM

I've used my MBP 15" late 2011 on Maverick for couple of days.. Below is my screenshot on battery mode showing 8hrs for 96% .. I'm not sure how accurate is this but I only running few tab on Safari and Messages ..I don't think it can last 8hrs...maybe only on surfing text? I think slightly 10% battery life increased after upgrade to Maverick

Image (http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx216/actisys/ScreenShot2013-06-16at41332PM_zpsc0f54496.png)

Thanks.

Good to hear that Mavericks improves battery life. I've noticed recently my MBP (Late 2011) has been lacking in battery life.

dhy8386
Jun 28, 2013, 09:30 PM
Have a new loaded MBA 2013. i7, 8gb, 512

Have been doing a handful of different battery tests in ML vs Mav (i have it partitioned). Running video and audio loops. Have seen a median increase using Mav of about 12%. Power nap is off and screen brightness sat to 75%.

eriklinder
Jun 30, 2013, 08:09 PM
I've got a base 2013 MBA 11" and got 9 hours on a good day on Mountain Lion. I installed Mavericks today and have played with it for a couple of hours now (love it), the system seems to have settled and it's showing me 14:26 hours on the battery estimate! It's pretty sick. :)

TSE
Jun 30, 2013, 11:52 PM
Any 2011 MacBook Pro comments?

I get about 5-5.5 hours with normal use (Web Browsing, watching videos, Microsoft, office, iTunes, etc.), so if this could bump it up to 6, 6.5 that would be sweet.

Le Chiffre
Jul 1, 2013, 06:54 PM
Good to hear that Mavericks improves battery life. I've noticed recently my MBP (Late 2011) has been lacking in battery life.

Same, my late 2011 13" MacBook Pro has been declining lately in battery life too.

rohithbasu
Jul 2, 2013, 09:37 PM
this is on my 15 inch retina macbook pro base model mid 2012 doing web browsing and reading in low 4 point brightness on mavericks dp2. 11 hours !!!!! ill get back here if it actually lasts that long !!!!!

NewbieCanada
Jul 2, 2013, 09:43 PM
Not the only one. Me too.

Try an SMC Reset - my battery life was quite lacklustre until I did that.

joyless
Jul 3, 2013, 02:55 AM
My MBP 2009 battery is really worn out and won't last whole movie, but I do feel improvement. Didn't really measure how much longer it lasts now, probably not very long, but the difference is noticeable.

Le Chiffre
Jul 3, 2013, 04:05 AM
My MBP 2009 battery is really worn out and won't last whole movie, but I do feel improvement. Didn't really measure how much longer it lasts now, probably not very long, but the difference is noticeable.

Curious, did you upgrade or clean install?

joyless
Jul 3, 2013, 04:20 AM
Curious, did you upgrade or clean install?

First I did a clean install on a new partition and after confirming that all my necessary apps are working fine I deleted the partition and upgraded 10.8.4.

Unfortunately it's not so great, I feel it's less responsive than Mountain Lion and sometimes it will lag so much I have to do a hard reboot, since I can't even force quit anything.
It's fine though, it's beta. When Mavericks is released I will do clean install - I think I have been upgrading since 10.6 Snow Leopard, so it's time for some fresh start

Davmeister
Jul 3, 2013, 03:14 PM
I've noticed that consistently now finder is using about 50-60% CPU, even in the background. By force quitting it, and leaving the application in the background from that moment on, it remains at 7-8%. Opening a window or switching to it shoots it back up to 50-60.

Something surely wrong here on my system.

----------

I shall try this. Cheers.

----------

Sorry, one more thing. I also have this weird flickering of the airport menu when rejoining or waking from sleep.

airportd in activity monitor uses about 600% cpu during this period. Normally settles down after a while. Have mentioned in dev forums.

Davmeister
Jul 3, 2013, 03:48 PM

No dice, see shots below. Also note high Finder CPU as mentioned above.

NewbieCanada
Jul 3, 2013, 04:15 PM
No dice, see shots below. Also note high Finder CPU as mentioned above.

Well I'm afraid we've run into the limits of my knowledge. What was your battery life on Mountain Lion? Mine was more like the 6-hour level before the reset.

Davmeister
Jul 4, 2013, 07:02 AM
Well I'm afraid we've run into the limits of my knowledge. What was your battery life on Mountain Lion? Mine was more like the 6-hour level before the reset.

Yeh mine was within normal limits, about 6 hours if I was careful enough with my activity. Now its about 3. Something definitely needs fixing...

nylon
Jul 24, 2013, 02:11 PM
Under equivalent workloads (non-scientific) on 10.8.4 and 10.9 DP4 I am getting 6:47 minutes and 8:25 minutes respectively.

Vinz-uk
Aug 15, 2013, 06:23 AM
Hi everyone.

I recently installed Mavericks DP5 to test it out, and to see how it behaves regarding battery life, my most important concern.

I was using 10.8.4 before, with a lot of updates, from 10.6.3 from my old MBP 15" 2010, to my 6 months old rMBP.

First of all, I created a dual boot installation for Mavericks, on the rMBP. I don't notice much speed increase with my old installation.

There is less lag while using the launcher or Mission Control as there is with 10.8.4 with the Retina, that's for sure. But the apps launch as quick as before, the start up is a bit slower (thus I have lots more soft installed on ML).

I used Google Chrome Canary on ML, because Safari was horrible with lots of lags. I tried the Nighty webkit, but it did not improve much.
I reinstalled Google Chrome Canary on Mavericks, and the experience was the same as on ML, quite nice browsing experience, not much lag, quick, reliable...

But I started using Safari 7 on Mavericks. And now, the surfing experience is really great I think, better than Canary, everything is smooth, I don't have much issue, so it became my main browser on Mavericks.

Let's talk about battery life.

I never complained with my rMBP about battery life with ML, it was always btw 5-7h depending on the load, the backlight intensity.
Always unsung the HD4000 on battery, with GFX Cardstatus.

This is only the 2nd time I am on battery under Mavericks, but for the moment, I notice some improvement with battery life.

This is now 6h30 that I'm on battery.
Continuous use and wifi always on, maybe 10 min of standby time.
30 minutes using windows 8 under Parallels 8
30 min streaming videos with flash on
Safari always on with at least 5 tabs, and up to 12.
iTunes turned on roughly for 3 hours
And iStat Menus indicates still 3h20 remaining.
Screen set between 25 to 60% of backlight.

I usually plug the Mac when the gauge indicates less than 15% remaining, I presume that I'll get something like 8h30 of real battery life, which is quite nice considering the power, the screen...

I'll need to do the same test under ML to compare the true gain in battery life., but Mavericks seems to be well born.

rarreh
Aug 15, 2013, 12:15 PM
Hi everyone.

I recently installed Mavericks DP5 to test it out, and to see how it behaves regarding battery life, my most important concern.

I was using 10.8.4 before, with a lot of updates, from 10.6.3 from my old MBP 15" 2010, to my 6 months old rMBP.

First of all, I created a dual boot installation for Mavericks, on the rMBP. I don't notice much speed increase with my old installation.

There is less lag while using the launcher or Mission Control as there is with 10.8.4 with the Retina, that's for sure. But the apps launch as quick as before, the start up is a bit slower (thus I have lots more soft installed on ML).

I used Google Chrome Canary on ML, because Safari was horrible with lots of lags. I tried the Nighty webkit, but it did not improve much.
I reinstalled Google Chrome Canary on Mavericks, and the experience was the same as on ML, quite nice browsing experience, not much lag, quick, reliable...

But I started using Safari 7 on Mavericks. And now, the surfing experience is really great I think, better than Canary, everything is smooth, I don't have much issue, so it became my main browser on Mavericks.

Let's talk about battery life.

I never complained with my rMBP about battery life with ML, it was always btw 5-7h depending on the load, the backlight intensity.
Always unsung the HD4000 on battery, with GFX Cardstatus.

This is only the 2nd time I am on battery under Mavericks, but for the moment, I notice some improvement with battery life.

This is now 6h30 that I'm on battery.
Continuous use and wifi always on, maybe 10 min of standby time.
30 minutes using windows 8 under Parallels 8
30 min streaming videos with flash on
Safari always on with at least 5 tabs, and up to 12.
iTunes turned on roughly for 3 hours
And iStat Menus indicates still 3h20 remaining.
Screen set between 25 to 60% of backlight.

I usually plug the Mac when the gauge indicates less than 15% remaining, I presume that I'll get something like 8h30 of real battery life, which is quite nice considering the power, the screen...

I'll need to do the same test under ML to compare the true gain in battery life., but Mavericks seems to be well born.

What rMBP did you use? Did you see an increase in graphics memory?

Vinz-uk
Aug 15, 2013, 12:27 PM
My rMBP is the based model: 2,3GHz - 256Go - 8Go of Ram.

Yes, apparently on the HD4000, it seems that before there was 512Mo of Ram on ML, and now on Mavericks, the "about my Mac" displays 1024Mo of Ram for the HD4000.
Maybe the HD4000 can use more Ram on the installed 8Go of Ram.

rarreh
Aug 15, 2013, 01:31 PM
Well that sounds good? I have the late 2012 and it has 768mb of graphics memory. I'd really like to see an improvement while switching between screens etc.

operade
Oct 12, 2013, 03:04 AM
Hi I recently did a clean install of Mavericks GM on a macbook air 2013 (the last model): my battery life is expected to be of 5 hours with 100% ! I realized that Finder is using nearly 60% of the processor although I did nothing special and that is surely the cause of the draining of the battery. Curiously after some minutes Finder's activity is normal but it can reach another 60% a few minutes later. Does anyone has this problem with GM. Thanks for any help.

operade
Oct 12, 2013, 02:52 PM
Well I have found the culprit: it was the Cinch app which was the cause of my problem: I deleted it and Finder's activity is normal now.

kappaknight
Oct 14, 2013, 04:11 PM
I did an upgrade to GM from ML on my early 2011 MBP and my battery is sucking bad. I tried doing the PRAM reset and it didn't do much. I don't think there are any hidden issues other than the apps are running as intended.

Not pleased at all...

hamiltonDSi
Oct 14, 2013, 05:29 PM
Same, my late 2011 13" MacBook Pro has been declining lately in battery life too.

Same here.
13" Macbook Pro Late 2011.
Weird.

locoboi187
Oct 16, 2013, 09:24 AM
This was me on ML on my rMBP 15.

petvas
Oct 16, 2013, 09:31 AM
This was me on ML on my rMBP 15.

These screenshots people are posting don't really mean anything. They just show an estimate for the battery, that was calculated at the time the screenshot was taken, by considering the current load of the computer. I had once 12,5 hours left, according to the battery meter. Of course I didn't achieve 12,5 hours..
Having said that, on my rMBP with heavy usage of Safari and having 10 apps open at the same time, I get 5-6 hours. This is a bit better than with Mountain Lion.

locoboi187
Oct 16, 2013, 09:53 AM
These screenshots people are posting don't really mean anything. They just show an estimate for the battery, that was calculated at the time the screenshot was taken, by considering the current load of the computer. I had once 12,5 hours left, according to the battery meter. Of course I didn't achieve 12,5 hours..
Having said that, on my rMBP with heavy usage of Safari and having 10 apps open at the same time, I get 5-6 hours. This is a bit better than with Mountain Lion.

I know these are meaningless but I just decided to give this a go since other people posting it haha :p

Mr. Wonderful
Oct 16, 2013, 10:30 AM
Well I have found the culprit: it was the Cinch app which was the cause of my problem: I deleted it and Finder's activity is normal now.

Did you do a clean install?

djcristi
Oct 21, 2013, 08:32 PM
how about GM build on macbook air 2013? any results?

l.e. i found other threads for my question, sorry for posting here...

mephal
Oct 23, 2013, 04:35 AM
MBA 2010 - great decrease of battery life with Mavericks - 100% charge now only lasts for 3-4 hours at maximum. I just used Skype and the battery declined from 100% to 70 % in 30 minutes. :(

Thats nearly half of the time I had before the update.

petvas
Oct 23, 2013, 06:16 AM
MBA 2010 - great decrease of battery life with Mavericks - 100% charge now only lasts for 3-4 hours at maximum. I just used Skype and the battery declined from 100% to 70 % in 30 minutes. :(

Thats nearly half of the time I had before the update.

Don't forget that Spotlight might be indexing your drive, so battery life will decrease (temporarily).
Mavericks offers vastly improved battery life.

mephal
Oct 23, 2013, 06:26 AM
Don't forget that Spotlight might be indexing your drive, so battery life will decrease (temporarily).
Mavericks offers vastly improved battery life.

Yeah after 3 hours Spotlights energy usage went down to 0 and battery life improved since then again. Didn't expect it to have such a great influence.

Mexhr
Oct 23, 2013, 06:45 AM
So.. Other feedbacks from macbook pro 13 late 2011 users? :)

Kiaku
Oct 23, 2013, 07:18 AM
Macbook Air 2013 13inch i7 8gb ram result, surfing safari and youtube plus mail.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7756/8jwm.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10/8jwm.png/)

anp27
Oct 24, 2013, 07:58 PM
Battery life has become worse in 10.9. It was REALLY great in 10.8. Battery drains really fast now when using Safari. I did a clean install and I just reset the SMC. A little bummed out about this because otherwise Mavericks is great and all my programs are working fine.

However, my computer seems to be running cooler these days, compared to ML.

kcardella
Oct 24, 2013, 08:14 PM

Nope! Me too. I went from 13 hrs with Firefox running on 2013 MBA to barely 8 at 100% charged. down to 6 hours at 85%. Nothing changed but the OS install while on AC power

What can I do? This SUCKS

Prime85
Oct 24, 2013, 08:18 PM
Nope! Me too. I went from 13 hrs with Firefox running on 2013 MBA to barely 8 at 100% charged. down to 6 hours at 85%. Nothing changed but the OS install while on AC power

What can I do? This SUCKS

It's most likely an app that has not been updated for mavericks yet. This post was from back around July when they first announced it. I found out the problem was from an app called cinch that I had running. Once I stopped using that app my battery life was good

Oldskoolstu
Oct 24, 2013, 09:40 PM
Since updating I am only getting around 3 hours per battery charge on just surfing alone where I used to get at the minimum 8 hours depending on what I was doing and I have just noticed that it has only taken 45 minutes for the battery to recharge to 50% so something is obviously not right here although I don't mind the quick charge haha.

Just fully charged (after about an hour) and looked and it says that I only have just over four hours remaining.

Also looking at the battery usage in Activity monitor it says that my time on battery is 18 minutes and the charge has already dropped down to 93% within that time.

Surley this isn't right and it most certainly wasn't like this prior to the upgrade!?!

VaderSS
Oct 25, 2013, 10:24 PM
I have a July 2012 MBP non-Retina 2.6 GHz, upgraded from 8 to 16Gb of memory. When I went from 10.7 to 10.8, I went from 8 hours to 6 hours of battery life. I have tried all kind of fixes, and nothing helped. Going from 10.8 to 10.9 has brought me back to 8 hours.

tucks000
Oct 29, 2013, 02:09 AM

Same here except i upgraded from Mountain Lion. The battery life on my MBP 2009 is now less than 2 hrs on Mavericks when i use to get around 3.5-4 hrs of battery on ML

cscheat
Oct 29, 2013, 04:08 AM
Same here except i upgraded from Mountain Lion. The battery life on my MBP 2009 is now less than 2 hrs on Mavericks when i use to get around 3.5-4 hrs of battery on ML

Hi Tucks000,

Same here !

mine is macbook late 2009, used to get 6hrs+ on Lion or ML

now left 3.56hrs full charged !!!!!

I WANT MY BATTTERY LIFE BACKKKKKK :mad:

tucks000
Oct 30, 2013, 03:52 AM
Hi Tucks000,

Same here !

mine is macbook late 2009, used to get 6hrs+ on Lion or ML

now left 3.56hrs full charged !!!!!

I WANT MY BATTTERY LIFE BACKKKKKK :mad:

I did repair disk permission in disk utility as when i verified the disk, there were many issues. Along with that i recommend you to reset the SMC. Worked for me and m back to 3hrs+ battery life. Just saw the battery health and its down to 65%. Still very impressed that i could see 3 hrs of video playback at that health. Loving Mavericks.:D:D:D

Marissa97
Oct 31, 2013, 03:44 PM
Nope, you're not the only one. I have a MacBook Air from 2012 and I used to be able to keep my laptop in my backpack on sleep mode the whole day and when I got home it'd still be at 95%. Now when I get home, after not using it at all the whole day and having it on sleep mode, it'll have 45% left.. I find this really weird and frustrating.

Clunge
Nov 1, 2013, 03:28 AM
I was getting 8hrs+ with ML usually running Safari, Mail, iTunes, Messages and maybe a few other bits and bobs.

I'm getting 5hrs at best under the same conditions with Mavericks after a clean install on an early-2013 rMBP (my battery health is still 100%!).

Any suggestions or clues or just wait it out 'til 10.9.1?

senc01a
Nov 16, 2013, 01:58 PM
My battery life has decreased from 12 to 9 hours (low usage) on a 2013 13 inch i5 macbook air :(
Clean install.

kriss13
Mar 9, 2014, 05:11 AM
I have retina 2012 and battery is OK.
ML gives me 1h less.
http://cl.ly/UKDV

chirpity
Mar 30, 2014, 09:58 PM
I have a mid 2010 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo Macbook and since installing Mavericks my battery life has significantly decreased. Many other users on the Apple forums are experiencing the same issue. Apple has done nothing to address this problem. Apparently they think nothing is wrong?
I have submitted a couple bug reports about it. I have tried resetting the SMC and completely erasing the hard drive and re-installing Mavericks. Nothing has worked. I reinstalled Mountain Lion and my battery life shot right back up to the way it used to be.