PDA

View Full Version : Back to Mountain Lion

jykim0806
Jun 16, 2013, 03:02 AM
Can anyone tell me step to step guide of installing Mountain Lion from Mavericks?
I tried downloading ML installation file from App Store and install it, but it gave me an error(obviously) and I was going over some threads and I got really confused when people just start throwing different solutions. I am sick and tired of Wi-Fi and Safari bug and I will be more than happy to wait until fall for official release.
By the way, I haven't done any backups.

simsaladimbamba
Jun 16, 2013, 03:17 AM
I guess you did not create a bootable clone of your OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion install before committing to OS X 10.9 Mavericks?
If so, you have to do a CLEAN INSTALL of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion using an OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion bootable installer via a USB flash memory thumb drive.

If you want to make a bootable installation medium, you can follow these steps:
• Lion DiskMaker (http://liondiskmaker.com/)

• Create bootable installation medium for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/how-to-create-a-bootable-backup-mountain-lion-install-disk/)

jykim0806
Jun 16, 2013, 03:30 AM
I guess you did not create a bootable clone of your OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion install before committing to OS X 10.9 Mavericks?
If so, you have to do a CLEAN INSTALL of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion using an OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion bootable installer via a USB flash memory thumb drive.

If you want to make a bootable installation medium, you can follow these steps:
Lion DiskMaker (http://liondiskmaker.com/)

Create bootable installation medium for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/how-to-create-a-bootable-backup-mountain-lion-install-disk/)

Will I lose all my files? Is the time machine backup possible before clean install?

simsaladimbamba
Jun 16, 2013, 04:33 AM
Will I lose all my files? Is the time machine backup possible before clean install?

A clean install will delete all your files, since you have to erase the HDD. A Time Machine backup is possible almost any time.

jykim0806
Jun 16, 2013, 01:12 PM
A clean install will delete all your files, since you have to erase the HDD. A Time Machine backup is possible almost any time.

But I heard that I might have a compatibility issue if I restore from Time machine backup

Bear
Jun 16, 2013, 01:20 PM
But I heard that I might have a compatibility issue if I restore from Time machine backupRestore from the last backup on the Time Machine from before you upgraded to Mavericks.

tim100
Jun 16, 2013, 01:55 PM
could he have partitioned the hd?

jykim0806
Jun 16, 2013, 04:37 PM
Restore from the last backup on the Time Machine from before you upgraded to Mavericks.

I do not have any backup

Risco
Jun 16, 2013, 04:43 PM
I do not have any backup

Well that was stupid wasn't it? Anyway, make a time machine backup now. This will at least keep all your important files, you can then restore them after a clean install..

jykim0806
Jun 16, 2013, 04:53 PM
Well that was stupid wasn't it? Anyway, make a time machine backup now. This will at least keep all your important files, you can then restore them after a clean install..

But doesn't it compress my files in a time machine special file?
Which means I cannot use them on mountain lion?

Risco
Jun 16, 2013, 05:11 PM
But doesn't it compress my files in a time machine special file?
Which means I cannot use them on mountain lion?

Yes, and good point. I am not sure if Mavericks TM backups are compatible with ML... However in your situation I would backup anyway, and you can manually browse the backup.db file.

http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_manually_restore_time_machine

tywebb13
Jun 16, 2013, 06:35 PM
I would have also gone back to mountain lion if they dropped the airplay mirroring feature.

But I was really impressed in the keynote video when they did the demo of airplay mirroring and even more impressed when I tried it out myself with mavericks. They have improved it with the extend desktop feature. It's really cool! So I don't want to go back to mountain lion. I'm keeping mavericks!

Aylan
Jun 16, 2013, 07:07 PM
Create a backup in Time Machine. Clean Install Mountain Lion and then use Migration Assistance to transfer your apps and user data. I have done this several times with no issue. If you had a backup that has 10.8 on it, then you could restore from that. I really dig Time Machine.

----------

I suspect there may even be a way to do this without using time machine but I have not tested it yet. It involves partitioning the disk and creating a new HFS+ partition. Boot into recovery and install ML on newly created partition. Use Migration Assistance from the other partition and transfer user data. Then just use disk utility to re-size the disk to one volume and voila. I do not see why this wouldn't work but I have yet to try it.

jykim0806
Jun 16, 2013, 08:58 PM
Create a backup in Time Machine. Clean Install Mountain Lion and then use Migration Assistance to transfer your apps and user data. I have done this several times with no issue. If you had a backup that has 10.8 on it, then you could restore from that. I really dig Time Machine.

----------

I suspect there may even be a way to do this without using time machine but I have not tested it yet. It involves partitioning the disk and creating a new HFS+ partition. Boot into recovery and install ML on newly created partition. Use Migration Assistance from the other partition and transfer user data. Then just use disk utility to re-size the disk to one volume and voila. I do not see why this wouldn't work but I have yet to try it.

You really dig! So Migration Assistance works when downgrading without any issues? That's sick. So does Migration Assistance require a time machine?
Also, it would be awesome if someone tried the second method.
Btw, someone told me that internet recovery (command opton R when booting) might work. Do you think if I do this way, it would save all my file?
Sorry, too many questions.

Aylan
Jun 16, 2013, 10:12 PM
Internet recovery may work too. I have never done it that way. I would assume that it would work since you'd have to erase the drive and re-install Mountain Lion. You will still need to have a backup to get your stuff back; I'd recommend backing up with time machine in ANY case. At the very least, you can recover your data through Migration Assistant or by navigating to the Backup folder in your TM drive and moving the files manually.

I am currently cleaning up my backups and installs, as soon as it is done I will attempt the re-size and install method. I will post results here.

jykim0806
Jun 16, 2013, 10:14 PM
At the very least, you can recover your data through Migration Assistant or by navigating to the Backup folder in your TM drive and moving the files manually.

What do you mean by this part? Are you saying that I may not even need a time machine backup?

Also, thank you so much for your interest in this subject.

Aylan
Jun 16, 2013, 10:43 PM
No matter what you do, you will need a backup, no way around it. What I mean by this is that if you create a Time Machine backup now with Mavericks, you can then use any number of ways to re-isntall Mountain Lion (USB install image, internet recovery, etc) then use Migration Assistant to move files FROM your TM backup. Alternatively, once in ML, you can use the Finder to navigate to the backup folder in your TM drive to manually move your user files back to your ML installation.

jykim0806
Jun 20, 2013, 10:31 PM
Internet recovery may work too. I have never done it that way. I would assume that it would work since you'd have to erase the drive and re-install Mountain Lion. You will still need to have a backup to get your stuff back; I'd recommend backing up with time machine in ANY case. At the very least, you can recover your data through Migration Assistant or by navigating to the Backup folder in your TM drive and moving the files manually.

I am currently cleaning up my backups and installs, as soon as it is done I will attempt the re-size and install method. I will post results here.

Hello,
I was wondering if other recovery method had worked for you.

Aylan
Jun 21, 2013, 08:44 AM
I haven't tried it yet. My drive and time machine backups are encrypted and that TM decryption is going to take all night. I also have to turn FileVault off on my boot drive so I can re-size the partition and install ML on it. I am hoping to do it sometime this weekend.

Aylan
Jun 22, 2013, 02:54 PM
Hello,
I was wondering if other recovery method had worked for you.

I was able to use both methods to downgrade and re-install Mountain Lion. It is not particularly difficult but it does require some time.

The easiest way, by far, is to use a Time Machine backup. Just have a full backup under Mavericks and use that backup to restore the user data to a clean install of Mountain Lion. To do this you would have to do the following:

-Make a bootable USB install disk. Instructions are here : http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/how-to-create-a-bootable-backup-mountain-lion-install-disk/

-Restart the Mac using the newly created OS X USB Install Disk.

-Erase the hard drive and install OS X (the installer does a good job at guiding you through this, you also have a backup of Mavericks, so worse comes to worse you will always be able to revert back to Mavericks).

-Once the installation is complete, you will be given an opportunity to transfer your data through Migration Assistant at the setup screen, select that option from a Time Machine backup. You will be given a list of items to transfer such as Users, Applications, Documents, etc. Select your stuff and click continue, the process will take some time depending on how much data you have. Once this is complete you will have a clean install of Mountain Lion with all of your information and data restored.

Another option that you can try if you do not have a Time Machine backup is by resizing your hard drive, creating a new partition, installing Mountain Lion on that partition and then using Migration Assistant to restore your data from your other partition with Mavericks. Once you can confirm that everything is working okay, you can then go ahead and use disk utility under Mountain Lion to erase the Mavericks partition and resize your drive to one partition.This does not require a backup but I think it is a bit more risky; I would just use Time Machine for peace of mind. Also, this option requires that you can make a new partition on your existing hard drive that is AT LEAST as big as your Mavericks partition since you will be copying all your data from one partition to another, depending on your hard drive size, this may or may not be an option.

satcomer
Jun 22, 2013, 04:40 PM
I do not have any backup

Learn from your rookie mistake and get a backup. This goes for all you Windows users also!

If you really think about this you have no body to blame but yourself.

saberahul
Jun 22, 2013, 08:30 PM
Learn from your rookie mistake and get a backup. This goes for all you Windows users also!

If you really think about this you have no body to blame but yourself.

It goes for anyone regardless of platform. Making a backup is essential and not doing so is downright dumb. Sometimes I wish MR would put a giant banner on the Apple Hardware page saying "MAKE A BACKUP"