Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
its only 1 memory slot? i have 512 in there now, and need to upgrade it......its easy to upgrade on the new imac right?

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
derajfast said:
its only 1 memory slot? i have 512 in there now, and need to upgrade it......its easy to upgrade on the new imac right?

If you're referring to the new iMac with the built in iSight, then yes it comes standard with 512Mb RAM in one slot (not accessible) and another slot for additional memory. It's very easy (having just done this myself) to add another memory stick to the second slot.

There's an access panel at the bottom of the screen, two screws and you're done.

There are instructions in the user-guide and also printed on the bottom of the iMac's 'foot'.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
oh so theres 2 memory slot? i heard there was only one......does it come standard with 2 256 sticks or 1 512? i want to upgrade to at least a gb, and im probably going to buy a stick from crucial later today

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
derajfast said:
oh so theres 2 memory slot? i heard there was only one......does it come standard with 2 256 sticks or 1 512? i want to upgrade to at least a gb, and im probably going to buy a stick from crucial later today

No. There's one 'slot' with a built in 512Mb stick and there's one slot that's accessible for up to an additional 2Gb stick.

When you take the memory access cover off, you will see the other 512Mb stick. However it's not easily accessible and may be soldered in place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.