PDA

View Full Version : what's the best way to stretch my money...

flat6
Nov 5, 2005, 09:41 AM
So I'm finally going to start downloading music legally :rolleyes:

I'm guessing iTunes is the best way to buy music, but just for the hell of doing my market research, what other services are there out there? I know Yahoo offers a monthly-rental/subscription type deal, which I'm not a fan of. Also, I'd like the stay away from the dubious morality of AllofMP3.com's notorious "but-it's-not-illegal-in-Mother-Russia" business model. What other iTunes competitors are out there?

For actually buying in the iTunes music store, does getting gift cards off of eBay seem like a good idea? I figure if I'm going to be buying 500-1000 songs, I might as well try to save 15-20% of that money by getting discounted gift cards from people who have no use for them....

So yeah, any hints for this reformed starving-student would be appreciated...

flat6
Nov 5, 2005, 09:53 AM
Also, maybe it's just me, but this policy seems completely ridiculous...
http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/musicstore/backup/

"If your hard disk becomes damaged or you lose any of the music you've purchased, you'll have to buy any purchased music again to rebuild your library."

Bandwith for these songs costs like nothing... Why would it be so hard for Apple to keep track of the songs you've bought, and allow you to redownload them as many times as you want? (Or 5 or 10 times, that should be enough for most people.) I'm sure their rights management software could sort this out.

I don't have a problem myself, since obviously I can find it from other sources and redownload the song for free. But after paying for it initially, I don't think I should have to. It's seems like such a silly issue that they can engineer their way around.

lolex
Nov 5, 2005, 10:58 AM
Itune handling enormous transection of downloads everyday, to mirror and traces back each if incase of re-downloading may be quite a task to play with.
How long should this warranty be last?

To play fair,they need to verify if you're re-download with the same ipod too.

Those burdens would be costy.

So, liability on downloader to take. :)

1rottenapple
Nov 5, 2005, 11:00 AM
How about this... Use the subsription service, and run "wiretap" to record it as your own mp3 as a wav file. Of course you need to reconvert the wav file to a smaller bit rate.

devilot
Nov 5, 2005, 11:08 AM
There's an interesting thread on MR called iTunes alternatives (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=155344&highlight=emusic) and I believe that at least eMusic allows for re-downloading of purchased songs. But eMusic doesn't have as mainstream artists as iTunes.

katie ta achoo
Nov 5, 2005, 11:11 AM
How about this... Use the subsription service, and run "wiretap" to record it as your own mp3 as a wav file. Of course you need to reconvert the wav file to a smaller bit rate.

That's illegal, though. you're not paying to buy the music.

fartheststar
Nov 5, 2005, 11:16 AM
I think Napster's still kicking around, but for ease of use, and selection, use iTunes. Just "simple"... ahhhh yeahhhhh

flat6
Nov 5, 2005, 11:22 AM
OK, I just bought my first song (yay) and to my surprise it didn't come with an album cover, even though it showed it prominently on the information page for that artist/CD/whatever. Is this common? Is it option I need to enable?

I always say those cool little iPods with album art on them, I assumed it comes with the song when you download it from iTunes.

katie ta achoo
Nov 5, 2005, 11:35 AM
OK, I just bought my first song (yay) and to my surprise it didn't come with an album cover, even though it showed it prominently on the information page for that artist/CD/whatever. Is this common? Is it option I need to enable?

I always say those cool little iPods with album art on them, I assumed it comes with the song when you download it from iTunes.

:eek: that shouldn't have happened!
Well, you can always grab the album cover off amazon.com and drag it into the song on iTunes.

flat6
Nov 5, 2005, 11:37 AM
:eek: that shouldn't have happened!
Well, you can always grab the album cover off amazon.com and drag it into the song on iTunes.

Yep, I actually ran a Google Images search and plopped that album cover in there, but... I want to fix the problem if there is one...

katie ta achoo
Nov 5, 2005, 11:38 AM
Yep, I actually ran a Google Images search and plopped that album cover in there, but... I want to fix the problem if there is one...

I think that was probably just an accident. All the other songs I've downloaded come with album art.

maybe it was just a server fart. *shrug*

flat6
Nov 5, 2005, 11:42 AM
I think that was probably just an accident. All the other songs I've downloaded come with album art.

maybe it was just a server fart. *shrug*

Guess so, the second one I just download it had it :cool: