PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lion vs Mavericks gaming

Serban
Jun 16, 2013, 10:26 AM
I get a lot of guys asking me to answer them in my blog and i know here is such a good and big community for everything. The question is: for those who are playing games on MAC is there any differences between mountain lion and mavericks ? like increase fps? etc..

but i want answers only from those who are trying on mavericks beta

negativzero
Jun 16, 2013, 10:55 AM
Nothing's changed for me with regards to framerates.

Playing diablo 3, torchlight and portal.

Serban
Jun 16, 2013, 11:12 AM
hmm so upgrading to opengl v4 doesn't change anything..ok thank you

Cougarcat
Jun 16, 2013, 11:31 AM
First, this should get merged with the other 10.9 gaming thread.

hmm so upgrading to opengl v4 doesn't change anything..ok thank you

Games have to be updated to take advantage of OpenGL 4. But there are new graphics drivers, and some people are noticing an improvement. It depends on your graphics card. Negstivezero's post is useless without knowing his system specs.

w0lf
Jun 16, 2013, 11:58 AM
2010 MacBook Pro, nvidia 320m, no change.

I would imagine you need a decent graphics card to see much of a difference in game performance.

My guess would be nvidia cards 400 series or newer and maybe hd4000 would see improvements, not sure about other graphics card models. Older graphics cards like the one in my MacBook aren't really targeted for improvement in new driver releases and I know when games start to add opengl4 support my card doesn't even support it.

So to sum thing up:

Are there improvements?
Yes.

Will everyone experience improvements?
No, it's completely dependent on your graphics card and the newer it is the more likely there will be more significant enhancements with new drivers.

Cougarcat
Jun 16, 2013, 12:06 PM
2010 MacBook Pro, no real change.

13" with 320M?

Kinda funny you explain in detail why it's all dependent on your graphics card, and then you fail to specify it :p

w0lf
Jun 16, 2013, 12:16 PM
13" with 320M?

Kinda funny you explain in detail why it's all dependent on your graphics card, and then you fail to specify it :p

I didn't realize there was another graphics card available but yes it is the baseline 13"

Serban
Jun 16, 2013, 12:38 PM
the questions are for the new line up of iMac ..so for 640M, 650M, 660MX , 675 and 680mx

people are asking if the difference between bootcamp gaming and mavericks is still so big, or we will see a difference.

anzio
Jun 16, 2013, 12:58 PM
the questions are for the new line up of iMac ..so for 640M, 650M, 660MX , 675 and 680mx

people are asking if the difference between bootcamp gaming and mavericks is still so big, or we will see a difference.

The drivers in Mavericks are without a doubt improved. You will see a bump in FPS on some games. However, for the most (possible) improvement– game devs need to incorporate OpenGL 4 into their games. It's not just a simple flick the switch and everything gets better.

Serban
Jun 16, 2013, 01:33 PM
so maybe later this year with mavericks games from blizzard or league of legends or those particularly that are made for mac os will have a patch for improved opengl 4?

Bear
Jun 16, 2013, 01:40 PM
so maybe later this year with mavericks games from blizzard or league of legends or those particularly that are made for mac os will have a patch for improved opengl 4?Expect it to be some time next year at the earliest for OpenGL 4 updates to games. And only expect updates for games that are actively maintained and getting expansions.

And remember the developers need to maintain compatibility with older versions of OS X as well. Which means maintaining the current graphics plus OpenGL 4 at the same time.

Serban
Jun 16, 2013, 01:42 PM
so no blizzard games like starcraft/diablo?

i always thought that if support OpenGL v4 automatically supports older versions

Bear
Jun 16, 2013, 01:47 PM
so no blizzard games like starcraft/diablo?

i always thought that if support OpenGL v4 automatically supports older versionsYes you can use an application witholder OpenGL code with a newer version of OpenGL on the system.

Blizzard will most likely only update the graphics code to OpenGL 4 in any of their games when they release an expansion for that game. And depending on how soon an expansion is due, it could take 2 expansion cycles of a game to get OpenGL 4 code in it.

Serban
Jun 16, 2013, 01:53 PM
i thought Blizzard, i mean the company take serious these kind of things. but time will tell

anzio
Jun 17, 2013, 09:07 AM
Yes you can use an application witholder OpenGL code with a newer version of OpenGL on the system.

Blizzard will most likely only update the graphics code to OpenGL 4 in any of their games when they release an expansion for that game. And depending on how soon an expansion is due, it could take 2 expansion cycles of a game to get OpenGL 4 code in it.

This is not the case. The Mac team lead for WoW has said they will implement OpenGL 3.3/4.1 if they can get WoW to run faster with it.

Blizzard doesn't wait until expansion packs for performance improvements. The Mac teams for all games are always working on performance improvements and optimizations.

wrldwzrd89
Jun 17, 2013, 09:19 AM
I get a lot of guys asking me to answer them in my blog and i know here is such a good and big community for everything. The question is: for those who are playing games on MAC is there any differences between mountain lion and mavericks ? like increase fps? etc..

but i want answers only from those who are trying on mavericks beta
Remember that new OpenGL releases for OS X are opt-in rather than opt-out - from a development perspective, this means you must select the newer profile explicitly in Xcode. Lion worked this way when OpenGL 3 was added, and Mavericks is no different. This means that apps will NOT get any benefits from the OpenGL 4 support in Mavericks unless they are changed to opt into the new profile.