PDA

View Full Version : Should I wait or should I buy?


cwdrum
Dec 19, 2002, 11:40 AM
Okay, here's my quandry. I am in the position to buy a new 1ghtz TiBook and a 22" Cinema display. I know that MWSF is only like 3 weeks away, but is anybody really expecting anything substantial to change in the PowerBook line?

Right now I'm getting by on a 400mhtz iMacDVSE running Jaguar, but it's really starting to drag. I'm a web developer and I use a lot of Photoshop, Flash MX, Dreamweaver MX, etc. I have a couple of projects that I'll be starting early next week and I would benefit greatly from the greater power and desktop space NOW!

Apple's promos are a bit hard to pass up too: double your ram for $40 and $400 off the Cinema Display. Would any announcements that they make at MWSF be worth the gain in my production now and savings of up to almost $800? Or could there be a price drop in either the TiBook or Cinema Display and some cool modification that would drive me nuts if I didn't wait? If my memory serves me correctly, even if they do announce a new top-of-the-line TiBook; it probably wouldn't be available for a couple of months anyway, right?

Decisions, decisions, decisions... What do you guys think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

pgwalsh
Dec 19, 2002, 12:21 PM
If you really need the power now then buy it now. If you really don't need it now wait. I personally need the power now, but I'll wait because I can still get buy with my 400 Mhz G3 PowerMac. I use Photoshop, GoLive, LiveMotion, etc etc etc.... However, I'm still on 9.2.2 and I don't have any new projects that I'll be working on, just existing ones. You'll be happy that you bought it, but you might kick yourself after the show. You might not too.

I like to do think about purchasing decisions like this.

You have wants and needs. Separate your wants and needs into two lists with the most important on top. Buy what you need first and what you want second.

There's one exception. When it comes to someone buying you a gift you should get what you want and buy youself what you need.

Backtothemac
Dec 19, 2002, 02:22 PM
Do not wait. Because you will be waiting to the late spring / early summer for a revision in the PowerBook. Get it now, and be happy. Hell, the world could end in January.

crazytom
Dec 19, 2002, 03:05 PM
Definitely don't wait! Take advantage of those discounts! I waited to get my Dual 1GHz only to find that DDR wasn't really used to it's capacity and there wasn't any real speed-up from the 'old' dual 1GHz. I could've saved a small chunk of change there, but then again...I'd still be waiting...:)

wilburpan
Dec 19, 2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by cwdrum
I'm a web developer and I use a lot of Photoshop, Flash MX, Dreamweaver MX, etc. I have a couple of projects that I'll be starting early next week and I would benefit greatly from the greater power and desktop space NOW!

I am quoting large parts from a reply I made to a similar post:

I think the decision as to when to buy a computer depends on what you plan to use it for.

If you, like me, are looking for a computer for home use, then longevity is a concern. I want my computer to last as long as possible before I have to buy a new one. In this case, it would make sense for me to buy a computer as soon as possible after an upgrade cycle.

If, on the other hand, you are going to use the computer for business, and I think this is your situation, then the key question is not when the next upgrade cycle is coming along, but how much you'll be able to make use of the computer until the next upgrade happens.

The big difference between you and me is that you have the potential to generate income with your computer. Now, I've scanned through eBay to see what used Macs are going for, and it seems that previous generation Macs are holding about 60-65% of their value.

Now suppose you get the TiBook ($3000)/Cinema Display ($2600) combo. This will cost about $5300+tax+shipping, including the discounts for memory and the display. Suppose that by some huge miracle, a new line of TiBooks are introduced at MWSF, including a new model priced at $3000. If you decide that you absolutely need an upgraded model, then you can sell your old TiBook (to me :D) for ~$1800, taking a $1200 loss on the TiBook. However, if you can generate more than $1200 worth of income between now and MWSF, then you will come out ahead, and still have money for a new model. Since new Powerbook models will much more likely come out in late spring, the question now becomes whether you can generate $1200 in business income between now and May.

Presumably, you won't need to upgrade your monitor.

Furthermore, since you are using the Mac for business purposes, you can deduct depreciation on your income tax, which I would also not be able to do.

Hope this helps.

cwdrum
Dec 21, 2002, 11:44 AM
Thanks for your input everybody! I went over to the Apple Store yesterday and got my PowerBook. It Rocks!!! I decided to hold off on the Cinema Display until mid-January. Instead, I took advantage of the printer promo, the double your ram promo and the Office X promo. Hopefully Apple will announce something at MWSF that will drop the price of the Cinema Display by the time I'm ready to buy.

I'm very happy with my purchase. My apps open so fast and Photoshop doesn't drag anymore! I'm working on my first iDVD as we speak. Thanks again for your help!

Merry Christmas,
Chris

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Dec 21, 2002, 12:18 PM
Are you really thinking about getting a Cinema Display? I, personally, feel that they're not worth the price with or without the discounts.