Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mavericks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
I was expecting Apple to introduce something like Google Wallet... I've been waiting for the day I no longer need to bring credit cards in my wallet. I thought the iPhone 5S was supposed to have a fingerprint lockscreen and a NFC chip?

Also, why was there no mention of the doubling pixels on the next-gen iPhone? :confused:

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
I was expecting Apple to introduce something like Google Wallet... I've been waiting for the day I no longer need to bring credit cards in my wallet. I thought the iPhone 5S was supposed to have a fingerprint lockscreen and a NFC chip?

Also, why was there no mention of the doubling pixels on the next-gen iPhone? :confused:

Passbook is Apple's answer to Google Wallet, however it needs expanding and the iPhone needs to have the hardware in the first place. Let the hardware come, then expect those kind of introductions.

They didn't talk about any iPhone 5S hardware, thats why they didn't mention "double pixels" on it. A seperate keynote will be held for it.

By the way, since the iPhone 5S is theoretically going to look exactly like the iPhone 5, I don't think there will be any major external hardware changes like a fingerprint reader built into it. NFC is a hardware change, so I think thats for the 2014 iPhone too. iPhone 5S is likely going to be a spec bump.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Passbook is Apple's answer to Google Wallet, however it needs expanding and the iPhone needs to have the hardware in the first place. Let the hardware come, then expect those kind of introductions.

They didn't talk about any iPhone 5S hardware, thats why they didn't mention "double pixels" on it. A seperate keynote will be held for it.

By the way, since the iPhone 5S is theoretically going to look exactly like the iPhone 5, I don't think there will be any major external hardware changes like a fingerprint reader built into it. NFC is a hardware change, so I think thats for the 2014 iPhone too. iPhone 5S is likely going to be a spec bump.

They always have hardware changes in the "s" models. Most of them have better cameras than their predecessors, and have numerous internal changes. I'm not sure how you define hardware, but that is typically what changes in the "s" models. Additionally, a fingerprint sensor could easily be placed on the device without any major modifications to the design.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
They always have hardware changes in the "s" models. Most of them have better cameras than their predecessors, and have numerous internal changes. I'm not sure how you define hardware, but that is typically what changes in the "s" models. Additionally, a fingerprint sensor could easily be placed on the device without any major modifications to the design.

I agree with you.. :eek:

james1758

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
UK
It is possible on the 5s, as they guy above says it isn't to hard to implement, but my feeling is if they will do finger print scanning it will be saved for the iPhone6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.