PDA

View Full Version : Coolest Thing About New Airport Ex/Time Capsule

bbbobbb
Jun 16, 2013, 04:59 PM
Fits perfectly on top of the current ATV....wish I could make the my TC black to match... :-)

SandboxGeneral
Jun 16, 2013, 05:01 PM
My only concern would be issues with heat build up between the devices. There could be too much after a short while that would negatively affect performance of one or both of them.

Mrbobb
Jun 16, 2013, 06:22 PM
Yeah the color kills it.

I don't really like the weird shapes of recent access points. I have my equipment rack mounted and prefer them at their original rectangular shape.

Omne666
Jun 16, 2013, 07:15 PM
So the question begs....in the new airport express, is there room to fit the guts of the atv??? Seeming the TM has a hard drive and the AE doesn't.

FreakinEurekan
Jun 16, 2013, 07:52 PM
Fits perfectly on top of the current ATV....wish I could make the my TC black to match... :-)

White is the new black ;)

darknyt
Jun 19, 2013, 12:36 PM
My only concern would be issues with heat build up between the devices. There could be too much after a short while that would negatively affect performance of one or both of them.

^^^ THIS.

You would have to be bat-**** crazy to stack those.

My kids killed one of my extreme routers by putting a book or something on top of one that let heat build up. Say what you will, but that thing was practically nuclear-hot by the time I realized what they had done and got it off there.

After that it would never work right and I ended up having to replace it.

SandboxGeneral
Jun 19, 2013, 01:35 PM
I once set a small Cisco switch on top of my 2nd generation AEBS and after 2 days they got so hot, my network wasn't working properly and I had to set them side-by-side and put a fan on them to cool them down. After about an hour things were working well again.

spatlese44
Jun 19, 2013, 02:54 PM
My kids killed one of my extreme routers by putting a book or something on top of one that let heat build up. Say what you will, but that thing was practically nuclear-hot by the time I realized what they had done and got it off there.

iOmlette.

GoCubsGo
Jun 19, 2013, 03:09 PM

These work real well. I have two WD essentials HDDs stacked that stream movies. I use these in between, I don't have to stick them, they just rest in between the drives.

http://www.amazon.com/Self-Adhesive-Rubber-Clear-Square-Bumpers/dp/B003CILAJ2

bbbobbb
Jun 19, 2013, 10:38 PM
^^^ THIS.

After that it would never work right and I ended up having to replace it.

Really? Do you own a new Time Capsule or are you just bat-**** crazy?

Where does your real world knowledge come from concerning this setup?

Have you looked at where the fan input AND output is for the Time Capsule?

Primejimbo
Jun 20, 2013, 07:40 PM

A Time Capsule has a hard drive, and hard drives causes heat when they are in use. Apple TV's also have a possessor, and again when in use they can generate heat.
Personally I wouldn't do this and keep stuff like that spaced apart to they get air all around as much as possible.

PNutts
Jun 20, 2013, 10:17 PM
iOmlette.

iOreo :)

NewbieCanada
Jun 20, 2013, 10:20 PM

Blowtorch should do the trick. ;)

phrehdd
Jun 21, 2013, 04:20 AM
Heat is an issue. Why not create some type of spacer that leaves say about 3/4 inch to 1 inch between the two stacked.

BeachChair
Jun 21, 2013, 04:32 AM
That stack looks like a recipe for disaster. The Apple TV is getting suffocated in there. Remember it is passively cooled, there is no fan to help it when it is getting heat from the bluray play below and the airport on top.

iapplelove
Jun 21, 2013, 04:53 AM
Wonder if the wifi really is 3x faster than my less then a year old TC lol

MacSawdust
Jun 21, 2013, 06:12 AM
The good news: The migration tool that pops up when you first plug in your new TC is nice. It transfers the settings from your old TC automatically. :) The bad news: It does not transfer the data from the old TC and you can't access the data afterwards on the old TC because the migration tool has deleted the directory. I tried several recovery tools and they didn't work. :mad:

The data rate and signal are much better than my old TC and it runs much cooler too.

jlusk99
Jun 22, 2013, 05:39 PM
Will the new Time Capsule improve the streaming with my Apple TV 3? Or does the Apple TV 3 have to be equipped itself with AC in order for there to be a difference?

macs4nw
Jun 22, 2013, 11:29 PM
^^^ THIS.
My kids killed one of my extreme routers by putting a book or something on top of one that let heat build up. Say what you will, but that thing was practically nuclear-hot by the time I realized what they had done and got it off there. After that it would never work right and I ended up having to replace it.

Irrespective of where the ventilation openings are, heat rises, add to that those built-in heat generating power supplies, and it just isn't a good idea to stack those two units. In spite of his strongly worded reply, darknyt did have a valid point. I say, stack them at your own risk.

darknyt
Aug 12, 2013, 05:01 PM

My real-world knowledge comes from building my own PCs for going on 20 years now and knowing the time-tested mantra: heat kills

Fan input/output is not the only . . . input to this formula.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist, or even ownership of a new time capsule to riddle that one out.

Man am I late to this party. But if you think the new time capsule has solved heat issues endemic to all PC/Mac hardware, you are even later.