Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pb3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Hi everyone,

I've had my 5th gen Touch for around 6 months now. A while back a few weeks after purchase I noticed that the battery life appeared to have fallen off a cliff overnight. When I went to bed the battery indicator was full - when I woke up the device had completely drained down and switched off :(

After this happened a few days later I was about to book a genius bar appointment, but decided to try the Apple battery life test first. My Touch passed with flying colours - after 42 hours of continuous play it was still going strong :confused:

The problems appeared to go away so I thought nothing further of it. Fast forward a few months to this morning. When I last used it about 12 hours ago the battery indicator was full - now the device has completely drained down. Normally the Touch lasts me at least a week.

After a bit of hard thinking, I've realized that the common factor across all the "drain down" episodes appears to be that I had previously charged my Touch using the small Apple lightning to 30pin converter, connected to my Bose Sounddock 10.

The Lightning-30 pin converter I'm using is a genuine Apple unit. It appears to work very well with the Sounddock - well as far as the sound is concerned - just not aesthetically pleasing :)

I usually charge my Touch with the supplied usb cable connected to my PC or to an Apple PSU unit. I rarely charge it via the Sounddock 10 + lightning converter combination.

I'll try to reproduce this issue.

Just wondering if anyone on the board has seen similar?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Looking at your Touch when it's in your dock, does it show the charging icon ?

Also, try closing all your apps before putting it in your dock at night to see what happens.

pb3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
try to read but very hard to understand.

Hi Racoonboy - apologies if my post was unclear? I'll try to summarise.

I've had multiple instances of my Touch going from a full battery indicator to completely flat within the space of a few hours - overnight.

I have tried the battery test as per instructions on Apple's website - no issues found.

The common factor with the rapid battery drain (I think) is that I'd previously charged the Touch on these occasions using the Lightning to 30 pin converter connected to a Bose Sounddock 10.

Trying to see if anyone on the board has had similar problems when charging via the Lighning to 30 pin converter connected to a "legacy" device.

pb3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Looking at your Touch when it's in your dock, does it show the charging icon ?

Also, try closing all your apps before putting it in your dock at night to see what happens.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes - the Touch does show the charging icon when it is connected to the dock using the lightning to 30 pin converter. I am wondering whether this is some type of wierd problem where it is discharging even though it appears to be charging.

I don't believe I left any apps running overnight but I'll check again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.