PDA

View Full Version : Parallels or VMware for Mavericks

actisys
Jun 17, 2013, 12:55 AM
Hi there,

Since both application work on Mavericks but which will you choose?? Why ?? Please share your thought .. Thanks.

As tested both application, it seems VMware boot windows faster compared with Parallels

maflynn
Jun 17, 2013, 05:58 AM
Personal preference, pick the one you like the best. Both have advantages/disadvantages.

FWIW, I thought Parallels wasn't working in Mavericks or has that been resolved.

Bear
Jun 17, 2013, 09:38 AM
Hi there,

Since both application work on Mavericks but which will you choose?? Why ?? Please share your thought .. Thanks.For several reasons, I have I would prefer to use VMware. At any given time one might have better features that the other, but wait a few months and the other one will be better. It also seems like Parallels doe supgrades more often just to suck more money from people whereas VMware adds some improvements in patch updates. Also the fact the VMware works without work arounds in Mavericks says something good about the application in my opinion.

Personal preference, pick the one you like the best. Both have advantages/disadvantages.

FWIW, I thought Parallels wasn't working in Mavericks or has that been resolved.Apparently there's a workaround posted, but who knows if it will break again with the next developer update and how badly.

nutmac
Jun 17, 2013, 04:08 PM
VMWare Fusion 5 works fine on Mavericks. But I am still a bit ticked off that there's no way to disable discrete (high performance) graphics in Fusion, which sucks battery life.

tywebb13
Jun 17, 2013, 04:53 PM
there's a workaround posted

Indeed. But even better, parallels now have an update to fix the problem:

http://kb.parallels.com/116290

Takuro
Jun 17, 2013, 06:40 PM
Parallels for sure. It has traditionally performed better than VMware Fusion and is compatible with Mavericks so long as you use the launch script on their knowledge base site.

tywebb13
Jun 17, 2013, 06:47 PM
Compatible with Mavericks so long as you use the launch script on their knowledge base site.

It would be better to update it with the build 8.0.18494 I just linked to. It's newer than the launch script workaround.

bolen
Jun 19, 2013, 01:52 PM
I personally prefer VMWare, feels like a more robust product to me. Also, VMWare Fusion 4 (not even 5!) seem to be working fine on my Mavericks installation, although I cannot say that I've tested it thoroughly yet.