PDA

View Full Version : iPad as external monitor for Logic/PT?

robinwjonsson
Jun 17, 2013, 11:08 AM
Hi!

I'm carrying the MBPR 15 inch and I travel a lot, doing sound-jobs on the road.
Sometimes the screen gets a bit small for all my tracks, main mix etc. and I was thinking of options. Is anyone using an ipad as a way to enlarge your screen area when working with sound? how's that working out for you?
Thanks

R

rockstarjoe
Jun 17, 2013, 02:41 PM
Not exactly a second screen, but check out an app called TouchOSC. It is great way to put your mixing / playback controls on your ipad screen. I love it.

robinwjonsson
Jun 18, 2013, 04:01 AM
Not exactly a second screen, but check out an app called TouchOSC. It is great way to put your mixing / playback controls on your ipad screen. I love it.

Ok, cool, I'll check it out. thank you.
btw, I don't yet have an iPad.
Any other solution/way of having it as an extended screen?

Icaras
Jun 21, 2013, 07:38 PM
Ok, cool, I'll check it out. thank you.
btw, I don't yet have an iPad.
Any other solution/way of having it as an extended screen?

Yes, Avatron AirDisplay:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-display/id368158927?mt=8

I've used it with Logic before and is great app for making your iOS device a second screen. Although like any wi-fi connected device, latency issues must be considered and since working with audio needs some critical timing, certain uses could be an issue. Sometimes I've used it to keep a virtual instrument in view on my iPad, so I can tweak the settings there and not have it get in the way of my arrangement window on my Mac's screen. I would say check it out still. It has some fun and practical uses even outside of Logic.

Or as rockstarjoe mentioned, go with TouchOSC if you want your iPad to be a dedicated mixer controller to Logic. I also just bought Lemur for iOS, but I haven't played with it yet, but it's a top class wi-fi controller app for your DAW.

patent10021
Jun 21, 2013, 11:17 PM
Controllers such as TouchOSC and V-Control etc are good. I've tried AirDisplay and others for extending the screen and it was quite laggy. In saying that, I tried it on an iPad2 so on an iPad5 ymmv.

robinwjonsson
Jun 23, 2013, 03:36 PM
Cool,
thanks all. Now i know some more :)