Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

skypelogo.jpg
Skype has rolled out its new video messaging service, originally introduced as a beta back in February, to all users. Previously, Skype users could only use 20 messages per month without subscribing to the more expensive Skype Premium plan. Now, all users can send unlimited free video messages.
Video messaging is now available to all Skype users. You can send and receive as many video messages as you want - completely free of charge. Video messages can be received and viewed on any platform or device running Skype.

Skype Video Messaging adds another great way to keep in touch with friends and family during life's most meaningful moments. Send a video message to your friends and family today--it's easy. You can capture a fleeting memory, create a heartfelt reminder or simply tell a friend or family member "wish you were here" even when they aren't online.
Skype for iOS and Mac are available free. [iPhone, iPad, Mac]

Article Link: Skype Rolls Out Free Video Messaging to Skype for Mac and iOS

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
So done with Skype. Total crapware. Every version was worse than the one before it. I stopped using it altogether about a year ago.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Haha, I remember when MSN stopped working, which we used internally between colleagues at work just as a way to ask quick questions. The service was then replaced with Skype and we installed that one instead. Holy. Crap. It was bad even for being bloated and coming from Microsoft. The garish ads looking like something from the nineties. The sluggishness. The horrible interface. Fortunately, there was a corporate decision to move to Microsoft Lync instead, which is a world of a difference. Especially Lync 2013 is pretty nice.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Haha, I remember when MSN stopped working, which we used internally between colleagues at work just as a way to ask quick questions. The service was then replaced with Skype and we installed that one instead. Holy. Crap. It was bad even for being bloated and coming from Microsoft. The garish ads looking like something from the nineties. The sluggishness. The horrible interface. Fortunately, there was a corporate decision to move to Microsoft Lync instead, which is a world of a difference. Especially Lync 2013 is pretty nice.

Skype for Mac has ads? Mine doesn't, and neither has any version of it I've ever used.

It's junk, but its pretty much one of the only viable options for a lot of people.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
We can do that already.

What Skype can't seem to do, is build a clean, organized, practical UI.

I use skype for 100% of my phone activity, but the next service that offers a dedicated cell number, it's goodbye skype.

For gods sakes, all the UI has to do are a few basic things, get it together already.

foxracing

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2009
It would be nice if they added offline messaging ... But I doubt they will ever add it ... less money for them if they added it, less people would be using the Skype texting if they added it.. I sometimes wonder how many people actually use the Skype texing

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish

Lync 2013 crashes more than any other software on my work machine. It sometimes cancels shutdown because it gets confused (bless) and Microsoft Update always requires me to quit Google Chrome in order to install. What the hell is it doing anywhere near my browser? Ugh. Would delete if I could!

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
What a piece of crap. iChat + .Mac AIM account + Facebook chat (for those who don't use AIM) = unstoppable :D

... assuming you're chatting with people who have Macs. Sadly, this setup works cross-platform only for text and file sending, not AV chats. And even though almost everyone I know uses a Mac, a lot of them use Skype for some reason.

Buduls

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Skype for Mac has ads? Mine doesn't, and neither has any version of it I've ever used.

It's junk, but its pretty much one of the only viable options for a lot of people.

It does show ads if you are not paying customer

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
It does show ads if you are not paying customer

I'm not a paying customer - I still have no ads. I dont even see where it would be possible for ads to be shown.

The only one place is where it says 'blocked plugin' however thats just the skype video clip on how to make calls.

xqne5XS.png

For what its worth:

- Never ever seen an advert in the Mac version of Skype
- Never ever paid for Skype.
- Used it for the best part of 5 years on OS X.

Aug 19, 2008
Still using Skype 2.8 because it's still the best UI for mac (with free screen sharing).

Since Skype has been bought my Microsoft, it became a real nightmare... from UI to features, to even restrictions (change of protocol, ads for free account and no more screen sharing for free account).

I currently seeking to switch to something else because I'm getting really tired of Skype.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Like this feature....

but will like more if Microsoft programmers achieve the feat of slim down Skype to obtain a no-resource-hog app....:rolleyes:

:):apple:

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Have we confirmed that Skype calls and messages don't go through Ft. Meade?

FWIW, iMessage and FaceTime are working well for me. :)

is1234

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
I had to laugh when MS is using an iphone for a Skype commercial now. You would think they would help cross market their own products.

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
I don't see the point of Skype.

I see the point of it every day as I chat with friends all over the world in a big conference call. We are a group who stayed in touch after the Skypecasts were discontinued in 2008.

I HAVE tried just about every other VOIP solution out there, and Skype always provides the best audio quality of any. Tango... Oovoo, Viber, you name it. Facetime is superior audio quality to Skype, but is one to one only.

I use my Windows machine for Skype, as I like the UI better.

I have seen ads in Skype, but there is an option in the program settings to turn them off. At least on the Windows version there is.

Attachments

• skype options.jpg
    skype options.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 180
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.