PDA

View Full Version : Reminds me of Snow Leopard. I love it.

adcx64
Jun 17, 2013, 08:11 PM
Using Mavericks to test my app. Love it. It really reminds me of the speed and performance of SL. Anyone else think this?

McGiord
Jun 17, 2013, 08:15 PM
Nice to read about it, encouraging and hopefully it will not leave any old apps behind...

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 17, 2013, 08:36 PM
Nice to read about it, encouraging and hopefully it will not leave any old apps behind...
Old apps under Mountain Lion (i.e. the previous version)? Such as!?

Four oF NINE
Jun 18, 2013, 08:35 AM
Using Mavericks to test my app. Love it. It really reminds me of the speed and performance of SL. Anyone else think this?

I've read similar comments and have felt a similar experience to Snow Leopard as well. This is a good thing

kissmo
Jun 18, 2013, 09:11 AM

Fast response in the interface in general.
Like I say in different threads - it feels like ML should have been

mumph
Jun 18, 2013, 09:14 AM
Are they not doing a Tick Tock thing? Loads of features and then a refinement version? Then again I suppose ML should of been a refinement version... guess not. hehe.

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 18, 2013, 09:23 AM
Are they not doing a Tick Tock thing? Loads of features and then a refinement version? Then again I suppose ML should of been a refinement version... guess not. hehe.
ML is a refinement of a disaster, Lion.

adcx64
Jun 18, 2013, 09:53 AM
I love the lack of eye candy crap and the performance refinements. I feel like Apple hit a home run with this.... and its only DP1!

HenryDJP
Jun 18, 2013, 10:07 AM
I love the lack of eye candy crap and the performance refinements. I feel like Apple hit a home run with this.... and its only DP1!

Many of us like "eye candy crap". Gives the OS a refreshed look and feel.

----------

It does seem to be the case with both Apple and Microsoft with Microsoft being ace number 1 at it. Vista (loads of features..or just transparent windows :rolleyes:). W7 (refinement of that disaster Vista).

Leopard (loads of features). Snow Leopard (refinement). Lion (loads of features and issues). ML (refinement).

In the case of Mavericks I won't say at all that this is a refinement of ML because ML is actually very good, stable and has very little to zero issues with current software. Mavericks just a mature OS X IMO.

lewismayell
Jun 18, 2013, 11:14 AM
Being a Mac user since only ML, and always seeing people say things like "Snow Leopard was the best" I have no idea what people mean, could someone tell me what it is people miss, and what things they mean? Thanks

Wuiffi
Jun 18, 2013, 11:40 AM
Being a Mac user since only ML, and always seeing people say things like "Snow Leopard" was the best" I have no idea what people mean, could someone tell me what it is people miss, and what things they mean? Thanks

It somehow felt lighter and snappier. Furthermore many had to change their workflow, because many functions and applications were changed. Spaces and Expose were changed (together something like Mission Control, but better ;) )
The fullscreenmode was horrible at the beginning and it took them 2 years to really improve it (now with mavericks)

Many other little things changed (like the loss of "Save as", or "Do you want to Save?"), scroll direction, Resume, Versions or AutoSave - which are nice ideas, but not everyone liked them.

fisherking
Jun 18, 2013, 11:41 AM
Being a Mac user since only ML, and always seeing people say things like "Snow Leopard" was the best" I have no idea what people mean, could someone tell me what it is people miss, and what things they mean? Thanks

snow leopard was the mountain lion of leopard :D

lean, mean. fast. stable. looked good, with a minimum of eye candy, frills.
those first four word are the most important...

for me, ML is near-perfect. and mavericks seems to promise to be ever 'nearer-perfect'..!

Asclepio
Jun 18, 2013, 11:49 AM
snow leopard still faster than ML/ Mavs on my imac 2011, i will post geekbench maybe later.

Eithanius
Jun 18, 2013, 11:59 AM
Mavericks reminds you of Snow Leopard...?

I beg to differ... Not even close...

The graphics animation is still choppy compared to Snow Leopard, especially in Mission Control. In fact at this build it is far worse off than Mountain Lion. The only thing improved is the smooth scrolling...

Finder is a bit sluggish especially when dealing with external storage. And the Finder Sidebar scroll bars seem to be confused of where to stay in position.

Scrolling on trackpad and mouse scroll is less responsive compared to SL and ML. I guess this is how they improve smooth scrolling - by slowing down scrolling speed. It takes considerably more efforts on my finger to scroll... Rubber-band scrolling effect seems to get stuck once in a while...

2D dock no longer works despite changing it from Terminal...

And for some odd reason, Adium and HardwareGrowler seemed to trigger discrete graphics all the time... :confused::confused:

Well, I guess it's a developer preview after all...

adcx64
Jun 18, 2013, 01:30 PM

The graphics animation is still choppy compared to Snow Leopard, especially in Mission Control. In fact at this build it is far worse off than Mountain Lion. The only thing improved is the smooth scrolling...

Finder is a bit sluggish especially when dealing with external storage. And the Finder Sidebar scroll bars seem to be confused of where to stay in position.

Scrolling on trackpad and mouse scroll is less responsive compared to SL and ML. I guess this is how they improve smooth scrolling - by slowing down scrolling speed. It takes considerably more efforts on my finger to scroll... Rubber-band scrolling effect seems to get stuck once in a while...

And for some odd reason, Adium and HardwareGrowler seemed to trigger discrete graphics all the time... :confused::confused:

I'm confident Apple will have those fixed before GM.

j-a-x
Jun 18, 2013, 02:51 PM
I agree that DP1 performance is great and it is not too buggy for everyday use which is great for an independent developer like me. I'm more of a hobbyist and have a day job so I use the same machine for both development and personal use and luckily putting Mavericks on it has been great so far.

HenryDJP
Jun 18, 2013, 03:04 PM
Being a Mac user since only ML, and always seeing people say things like "Snow Leopard was the best" I have no idea what people mean, could someone tell me what it is people miss, and what things they mean? Thanks

While I liked SL, it really wasn't. From many of the posts I've read, most of the Snow Leopard supporters weren't on Mac before Leopard and what's even funnier is how so many people seemingly (or purposely ignored) forgot that Snow Leopard was under fire when it first came out even after 2 consecutive software upgrades. It wasn't until 10.6.3 is when the problems got ironed out and people stopped trippin' so much. Before 10.6.3 there were massive complaints of install issues, blue screens during installation, wifi issues, crashing, Safari stability issues....not to mention the other complaints of a lack of new features even though Apple said there weren't going to be any as this was an under-the-hood upgrade.

Tiger 10.4 (ugly was it was, IMO) was the best version of OS X since Mountain Lion. It worked, it was super stable out of the box on the first public release. The best version of Mac OS was Mac OS 9.2.2. Great features, very nice UI and it worked. :)

----------

You should reserve judgement until after the public release. You're looking for consumer-level functionality to be on point, right now it's only for the developers so they can code their applications to run on it.

Ddyracer
Jun 18, 2013, 03:09 PM
ML is a refinement of a disaster, Lion.

This is just my personal experience but i find ML to be a piece of trash compared to the crap os that was lion. I can't get even my external monitor to work. Did every thing i could think of including a clean install. it was working fine till I think 10.8.3 hit.

PBP
Jun 18, 2013, 03:21 PM
'Feels like Snow Leopard' said a year ago with the DP1 of Mountain Lion by many people :p

fisherking
Jun 18, 2013, 04:52 PM
This is just my personal experience but i find ML to be a piece of trash compared to the crap os that was lion. I can't get even my external monitor to work. Did every thing i could think of including a clean install. it was working fine till I think 10.8.3 hit.

i've been on every mac OS since 10.2, and for me, ML has been the best yet.
overall, the fastest, most stable mac experience i've had.

more than the eye candy, the 'frills', i want my mac fast, powerful, stable.
ML has given me that.

looking forward to mavericks for real...

Risco
Jun 18, 2013, 05:52 PM
Multi tasking under load has been considerably improved. Also scrolling is bloody amazing! Battery life seems quite a bit improved too. It is clear that work is still to be done on the apps, style wise such as reminders / notes / contacts. I have also noted substantially improved network performance to my USB attached SMB NAS.

adcx64
Jun 18, 2013, 06:46 PM
Thats what I'm saying. Noticing a huge performance boost over ML and my battery is actually longer despite it being beta. I'd rather have a release like this which makes better performance than eye candy.