Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makeitshane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
So I'm one of the many who downloaded the 'free' version of IOS 7 and have had an issue with the 3D background ever since installing..

It doesn't work.

When I initially activate IOS 7 I can see a subtle drop shadow underneath the battery icon and other icons along the top however upon setting up my phone it disappears and there is NO sense of depth or '3D' effect on my phone. Yes reduce motion is turned off, yes I downloaded iOS 7 from a different source then restored back to the most recent version of iOS 6 and then reinstalled iOS 7, yes I'm downloading the correct .ispw file for my GSM iPhone 5, yes the dynamic wallpapers move without an issue... its just the still backgrounds that aren't displaying any 3D effect.

The weird thing is that whenever I unlock my phone the icons along the top will have a drop shadow for a split second and then disappear once the screen fully loads. As if it temporarily will work and then disappears.

The most annoying part is that this is one of my favorite features about iOS 7 and its the only part that isn't working :(

Any ideas?

makeitshane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Did you try a different wallpaper?

yeah :/ any wallpaper I use is just flat and static. I even tried zooming in on wallpapers to be off the screen slightly and it still happens its really weird. I thought it would be a common issue that would be easily searchable online but no one has had this issue... and if they do then every says they need to be on an iPhone 5 (which I am) and I used the correct .ispw file from multiple sources

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Reduce motion turns this effect off. You want it on to see the 3d.

highertechnology

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2009
Mine works on stills very minimally (as designed I believe) but dynamic only works on the purple background. It does not work on the gray toned dynamic background.

makeitshane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Like I said reduced motion IS turned off, and my gyro and accelerometer are not broken because it works for games and the compass.

----------

And my friend downloaded the same .ispw file and we compared screens. There's clearly has depth and slightly moves, mine does not have any drop shadows and is completely static as if it's using iOS 7 icons on iOS 6

Gizmo 76

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009
Like I said reduced motion IS turned off, and my gyro and accelerometer are not broken because it works for games and the compass.

What happens if you have multiple web pages active and then look at the view of all your windows and tilt the phone?

makeitshane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
What happens if you have multiple web pages active and then look at the view of all your windows and tilt the phone?

I can scroll through my safari tabs, up and down without an issue but there isn't a 3D effect.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Instead of going into photos app and choosing a background, make sure you a re going into Settings and the wallpaper section. That's what fixed the panoramas for me. They didn't work if I chose them from photos.

I think it might be the same for 2D photos.

This is possibly a bug.

makeitshane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Instead of going into photos app and choosing a background, make sure you a re going into Settings and the wallpaper section. That's what fixed the panoramas for me. They didn't work if I chose them from photos.

I think it might be the same for 2D photos.

This is possibly a bug.

I actually initially was trying from the settings>wallpaper location and it wasn't working so I tried from my photos app and it still wasn't working. Even with the default apple backgrounds

Kohkane

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
I think it could just be a bug? Maybe you could try a clean install without restoring anything and a see if that fixes anything. I use the photo app for all my backgrounds and still have the parallax effect.

makeitshane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
I think it could just be a bug? Maybe you could try a clean install without restoring anything and a see if that fixes anything. I use the photo app for all my backgrounds and still have the parallax effect.

Yeah that's the only thing I can think of, I tried putting the phone into DFU mode and setting it up as a new phone on 6.1.4 and then installing iOS 7 with restoring from backup

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Yeah that's the only thing I can think of, I tried putting the phone into DFU mode and setting it up as a new phone on 6.1.4 and then installing iOS 7 with restoring from backup

Just restore the phone. Don't go back to 6.1.4. What's that gonna do? Do a restore (not from backup) while on iOS 7.

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010

----------

And my friend downloaded the same .ispw file and we compared screens. There's clearly has depth and slightly moves, mine does not have any drop shadows and is completely static as if it's using iOS 7 icons on iOS 6

I was thinking backwards, sorry lol :)

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
So I'm one of the many who downloaded the 'free' version of IOS 7 and have had an issue with the 3D background ever since installing..

It doesn't work.

When I initially activate IOS 7 I can see a subtle drop shadow underneath the battery icon and other icons along the top however upon setting up my phone it disappears and there is NO sense of depth or '3D' effect on my phone. Yes reduce motion is turned off, yes I downloaded iOS 7 from a different source then restored back to the most recent version of iOS 6 and then reinstalled iOS 7, yes I'm downloading the correct .ispw file for my GSM iPhone 5, yes the dynamic wallpapers move without an issue... its just the still backgrounds that aren't displaying any 3D effect.

The weird thing is that whenever I unlock my phone the icons along the top will have a drop shadow for a split second and then disappear once the screen fully loads. As if it temporarily will work and then disappears.

The most annoying part is that this is one of my favorite features about iOS 7 and its the only part that isn't working :(

Any ideas?

Did you 'update' or 'restore' your phone? Stuff like this can just vary in the betas. I know lots of poeple who are getting great battery life in iOS7 Beta but mine sucks. It's a beta. Slightly worry if it doesn't work when the GM is released. Until then, relax.

makeitshane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Yeah I've started as a new phone and updated to ios 7 however if I'm on ios 7 and do a ios 7 restore it asks for a UDID which I don't have. So I can only upgrade from ios 6.1.4 to bypass the UDID prompt. So I guess the only reason could be that I need to install it as a developer :/

JetStar

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2007
The 3d / parallax effect is very subtle. There should be no drop shadows for the icons or the top bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.