PDA

View Full Version : Apple Planning LinkedIn Integration for iOS 7

MacRumors
Jun 18, 2013, 06:31 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/18/apple-planning-linkedin-integration-for-ios-7/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/NewImage6.pngApple appears to be building LinkedIn integration into iOS 7 (http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/18/apple-testing-deep-linkedin-integration-for-ios-7/), though the feature is not active in the beta of iOS 7 that was released to developers last week. It is said to look similar to the social network integration that iOS currently sports for Facebook and Twitter.

Apple supposedly included Facebook integration in an early build of iOS 5 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/26/screenshots-of-facebook-integration-into-ios-5/), but it didn't make it into the final build because of failed negotiations between the two companies. Facebook integration was built into iOS 6 (http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/#facebook).

9to5Mac, which originally reported (http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/18/apple-testing-deep-linkedin-integration-for-ios-7/) the story, says iOS 7 users will be able to post content directly to LinkedIn via a share sheet. Apple has already announced (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/11/os-x-mavericks-tidbits-system-requirements-redesigned-activity-monitor-app-battery-monitoring-and-more/) LinkedIn integration for OS X Mavericks, so it would make sense to see similar integration in iOS 7.

Article Link: Apple Planning LinkedIn Integration for iOS 7 (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/18/apple-planning-linkedin-integration-for-ios-7/)

OldSchoolMacGuy
Jun 18, 2013, 06:35 PM
Can't say I see this being all that useful. I'm fairly sure most of us post stuff to LinkedIn much less frequently than Facebook or Twitter. Unless you read a lot of business or industry articles most of us don't post much there at all. With over 1000 contacts on LinkedIn, I still don't see a lot posted to it on a daily basis.

IMPOSSIBLEMAN
Jun 18, 2013, 06:39 PM
All I want is an API that allows me to share content to any app that can be used for sharing.I do not think it is hard, Apple.

WhackyNinja
Jun 18, 2013, 06:44 PM
It will be useful for business users.

Obi-Wan Kubrick
Jun 18, 2013, 06:46 PM
Seems like a waste. There is absolutely nothing that ever needs to be shared to linkedin that would go on facebook or twitter.

wiz329
Jun 18, 2013, 06:46 PM
Nobody cares.

djdsas
Jun 18, 2013, 06:48 PM
+1

I could care less about linked in integration!

APPLE...stop wasting time on bloated useless
Crapware and give me freakin missing features!

Like the last reply, I want

app document Sharing!
And:
QUICK REPLY!
Actionable notifications
More gestures

Apple, please take care of your base customers
With features that should have been implemented for years or I'm switching
To android. I need productivity, not gimmicks

Brittany246
Jun 18, 2013, 07:02 PM

Wolffie
Jun 18, 2013, 07:03 PM
What is the point of LinkedIn?
I don't understand linking with your coworkers and friends.
I don't understand publicizing your resume.<This maybe my problem.

I barely use Facebook. Mainly to connect with people who i enjoy chatting with but are too far away to hang out with. I'm also on a night schedule rather than their 8-5.

Can someone enlighten me its use?
The only reason I have used it (before having to have an account to view a profile and listing who has seen your profile) was to find info on a person.

MegamanX
Jun 18, 2013, 07:03 PM
All I want is an API that allows me to share content to any app that can be used for sharing.I do not think it is hard, Apple.

yep. Every year Apple does not add it they fall farther behind. Right now they are what 5 years behind Android in that department. Even father behind blackberry.
Hell even WP already has that.

theinstructor
Jun 18, 2013, 07:14 PM
All linked in ever did was STEAL my contacts about a year ago. Last thing I want to see integrated are these sorry thieves.

jonnysods
Jun 18, 2013, 07:22 PM
LinedIn = lame

starbird
Jun 18, 2013, 07:30 PM
I actually have twice as may LinkedIn connections as Facebook friends. And very little (10, maybe) overlap. I keep work "friends" off of Facebook. But will connect with customers, headhunters, coworkers, etc. on LinkedIn.

Adding it is likely very little overhead (or bloat). And makes sense. To be honest, I like it. And I am not surprised it will hit both OSs. I have a feeling that we will see more features that are in one in both. Perhaps even this fall. I think that iOS is further behind, thus a lack of commitment to features not yet fully baked. I honestly can believe that they would add quick replies to Mavericks and NOT iOS. And maybe it won't come in iOS 7, but it WILL come by iOS 8.

We have reached the point in mobile that each OS will start picking up the parts they had lower on the priority chart. The beginning was about differentiation. Now? The perceived missing features.

Exciting times, and I am glad to be living it.

On a side note: webOS was "ahead" of its time. I think it was super ambitious for a 1.0 and HP had zero clue what to do with it.

Menel
Jun 18, 2013, 07:32 PM

I barely use Facebook. Mainly to connect with people who i enjoy chatting with but are too far away to hang out with. I'm also on a night schedule rather than their 8-5.

The only reason I have used it (before having to have an account to view a profile and listing who has seen your profile) was to find info on a person.

Headhunters use it as a tool to scout for candidates.

GenesisST
Jun 18, 2013, 07:36 PM
If it is as unintrusive as FB or Twitter integration when not used, by all means, integrate away Apple! It would be nice to those who use it a lot!

TXCherokee
Jun 18, 2013, 07:41 PM
Seems like a waste. There is absolutely nothing that ever needs to be shared to linkedin that would go on facebook or twitter.

Said the person who had zero business contacts. For me, this is moderately useful. For a few friends of mine, this is invaluable.

fontman
Jun 18, 2013, 07:46 PM
Apple time to start giving us reason to stay with the platform and eco system . Stop adding other companies crap . start building your own better please .

lsutigerfan1976
Jun 18, 2013, 07:48 PM
I second the idea of having a way to share to instagram and others. It should be as seamless as google android phones which have a share all type function. Where you can share to almost any app, as long as you install that program.

Wolffie
Jun 18, 2013, 07:52 PM
Said the person who had zero business contacts. For me, this is moderately useful. For a few friends of mine, this is invaluable.

How? Can you give details how this is invaluable? Please.

CodexMonkey
Jun 18, 2013, 08:11 PM
How? Can you give details how this is invaluable? Please.

For my part, I run an advertising agency and most of my clients are Australian. I linked to people they linked to, they saw that people they knew had endorsed my agency for certain skills and they got in touch. Over the past twelve months I would say that LinkedIn has probably upped our turnover by around 40%, and financially speaking it has been incredible.

That's why it annoys me when others on the forum say 'who cares?' Some people do care, a lot, yet too many people on here think that their opinion counts for everyone just because they don't use it. I don't use use Facebook but I'm not narrow minded enough to whinge at Apple's integration.

aheying7
Jun 18, 2013, 08:39 PM

EVERYONE the sharing API already exists in iOS 6. Download Tumblr or YouTube and go to the camera roll and hit the share button.....they are both there.

filmantopia
Jun 18, 2013, 08:48 PM
Well maybe it'll get me to update my LinkedIn more often. Thing is never up to date.

MacGeek1987
Jun 18, 2013, 08:50 PM
LinkedIn may be useful for some, but I think Instagram integration would be more useful for the masses.

Albright
Jun 18, 2013, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I'm not big on LinkedIn either. I use it whenever I need more work (as I do currently), but otherwise I never really touch it except maybe to update my work info now and then. I'm certainly not posting pictures or status updates to it.

I personally am hoping for Flickr integration, though I guess Instagram would be useful for the kids (get off my lawn).

OldSchoolMacGuy
Jun 18, 2013, 10:54 PM
Those saying they see little use for LinkedIn or that it's worthless likely don't have great paying jobs or work in a very professional environment. For those of us that do, it's a very important tool. Not only does it allow you to keep in contact with all kinds of business contacts but it's also one of the best ways to find a new and even better paying job. It allows us to network with people that can help us land that director or VP position at the company we want to be at. It allows us to keep up with industry news from those that are actually in the industry rather than the jumble of news you get elsewhere. The quality of items shared on LinkedIn has been shown to be much much higher than that on other sites like Facebook or Twitter. Anyone making over $60k/yr and not making use of LinkedIn is missing out on the chance for a much better paying job and being generally better at your job (those making less than that too but it tends to be even better the higher up you are).

ytk
Jun 19, 2013, 12:53 AM
Wait, is LinkedIn actually a real thing? I sort of have this impression that it's a combination of email virus and web portal that really has no content but aggressively promotes itself to your friends without your knowledge or say-so.

donutbagel
Jun 19, 2013, 01:34 AM
You could care less?

Thank you, finally someone who gets it.

----------

Wait, is LinkedIn actually a real thing? I sort of have this impression that it's a combination of email virus and web portal that really has no content but aggressively promotes itself to your friends without your knowledge or say-so.

I've heard that it's like Facebook but with all the BS cut out and aimed more for professionals who want a public profile. I've made an account, but I haven't used it yet. If you're looking for something that sends viruses, look at Yahoo! or Ask. I haven't even gotten any digital announcement that LinkedIn exists yet.

----------

I wouldn't care about them adding social networks that I don't use on my iPhone if they didn't show up when I haven't even signed in. Apple should add whatever it pleases but hide it from the user unless he actually enables it in the settings and signs in.

It's not a problem right now with only a few things, but Apple can't go on like this adding more and more social network integration.

----------

So that people can find info on you and possibly hire you and so that you can hire other people.

champ01
Jun 19, 2013, 03:15 AM
Can't say I see this being all that useful. I'm fairly sure most of us post stuff to LinkedIn much less frequently than Facebook or Twitter. Unless you read a lot of business or industry articles most of us don't post much there at all. With over 1000 contacts on LinkedIn, I still don't see a lot posted to it on a daily basis.

Why do you think the iPhone has the stock app which isn't removable.

Yes 99% of Apple's customers don't use it but its there so we gotta swallow it.

But here is the thing:

- Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Whatsapp followed with
- Photos
- Itunes
- Maps

We don't know **** about Apple yet Apple knows everything about you, your friends, family and those you don't like.

Kill your social media today and see the effect it will have on companies like Apple and others.

JGRE
Jun 19, 2013, 03:39 AM

Although I don't like any social crap, Linked-in at least provides with some information that goes further than people holiday pictures and other private nonsense. If I had to choose, I would favor Linked-in over Twitter and FB, as the latter two are absolutely useless from an information point of view just jibberjabber.

----------

It is all crapware, just Linked-in gives some more decent info, where there other crapware only gives you personal jibberjabber.

dankedieter
Jun 19, 2013, 03:43 AM

Agreed, rather than picking and choosing which to integrate just make it open to the user to choose.

olowott
Jun 19, 2013, 06:00 AM
please kindly use the toggle button if you dislike

life is just so simple ON OFF

KALLT
Jun 19, 2013, 06:43 AM
As with the Facebook integration I still ask myself the question why it has to be Apple who gets to choose which services to integrate. This is obviously cherry-picking without giving customers or developers any say in this. Why is there no integration with Google Plus or Path? Surely there should be people interested in that as well. I would much rather see Apple taking a neutral approach and adding APIs to allow app developers to get access to these integrated features as well.

please kindly use the toggle button if you dislike

life is just so simple ON OFF

Perhaps it removes it from sight for the user, but under the hood the code is still there. This adds weight to iOS which is not necessary for those people who don't need it. And it's not like iOS runs as smooth on every iPhone, especially the older ones.

Pheo
Jun 19, 2013, 06:55 AM
You could care less?

I'm so glad you noticed that!

Plutonius
Jun 19, 2013, 07:04 AM

Get what you need. If Android is a better fit, switch to Android.

charlituna
Jun 19, 2013, 08:49 AM

So because folks on this site aren't likely to use it they shouldn't include it.

I disagree, I say support them all. This is that plug in idea my cousin mentioned in her blog (the one in my sig). Well she didn't put it that way but I think it could be done like that. Open up iOS to plug ins or a similar form of support and let us add what we want/need as required. They could still go through the App Store but we can download plugs for linked in, vine, Instagram or whatever. Those that don't need don't have to bother. They could do the same with keyboards, language packs. Even inside apps with templates and themes.

----------

Those that use their devices for business will get this idea and probably love it. Which is why Apple is likely doing it, to encourage businesses to move to iOS.

Michael Goff
Jun 19, 2013, 09:09 AM
For those of you that want it removed because you, personally, don't use it?

There is a world outside of you.

otismotive77
Jun 19, 2013, 09:47 AM
well, i spend atleast two hours of my day on LinkedIn so it'd be lovely to see linkedin integration on iOS7. apple is headed in the right direction, we need more integration. keep it up apple!

blitzer09x87
Jun 19, 2013, 10:14 AM
who cares, they should help facebook make a better iOS app, that'd be lovely.

!GS51!
Jun 19, 2013, 10:40 AM
+1

I could care less about linked in integration!

APPLE...stop wasting time on bloated useless
Crapware and give me freakin missing features!

Like the last reply, I want

app document Sharing!
And:
QUICK REPLY!
Actionable notifications
More gestures

Right because android is the OS with no gimmicks ;)

kc2kth
Jun 19, 2013, 11:00 AM
Not being a Facebook user and only a user of Twitter for consumption, I would appreciate LinkedIn integration much more than either of the other two. I'm definitely a business user more than a social user of my device as a whole. Now that LinkedIn has all but replaced the traditional resume in business it's time Apple paid it more attention.

fivedots
Jun 19, 2013, 11:21 AM
EVERYONE the sharing API already exists in iOS 6. Download Tumblr or YouTube and go to the camera roll and hit the share button.....they are both there.

What I don't understand is why it's so inconsistent? Why isn't every app that can handle photos registered in the sharing panel? I've got several on my phone (Instagram, Camera+, VSCOcam, Snapseed, etc.) and none allow me to share an image from the Photos app directly to them. I have to initiate this activity from within the app.

Yet when I open a photo I received in Messages and hit share, some of the options are there, but not all of them.

Sirious
Jun 19, 2013, 11:32 AM
Nice to have the option, but its a sharing feature that I will never use.

TimeSquareDesi
Jun 19, 2013, 12:04 PM
It's official: now the list of programs/apps/companies that I will not integrate my phone with include: Twitter, Facebook and now, LinkedIn.

I am a working professional and use FB and LinkedIn but will not integrate my phone with those sites in order to protect my privacy - what little is left of it. :rolleyes:

I just wish I could remove all the FB / Twitter icons that show up every time i want to send a message or a picture to a friend. I am ignoring them now but it would be very streamlined if they do not show up if you have not integrated your phone with them. What a novel idea.

nuckinfutz
Jun 19, 2013, 12:15 PM
LinkedIn integration makes sense. OldSchoolMacGuy is spot on. If you want a job that pays good money you need more than just experience and a nice resume. You need plenty of people on the inside vouching for you to get into the interview pool.

Facebook and Twitter are nice but they aren't designed to get you socializing within a business context.

LinkedIn acquired Pulse news as well so they are trying to improve their stickiness with people. I'm finding I'm using it more and more and that's going to be important for business networking.

ConCat
Jun 19, 2013, 12:26 PM
I'm positive I saw this during one of Apple's WWDC demos.

firewood
Jun 19, 2013, 01:42 PM

I know multiple people who got job offers and good jobs with 6 figure+ salaries due to business contacts on linkedin. And from a completely different set of professional contacts on linkedin than their party friends on farcebork.

Sounds like a point to me, if you're in any sort of professional-type business. Or are the posters on this forum just basement dwelling party bums?

PinkyMacGodess
Jun 19, 2013, 02:12 PM
The way it was explained to me was that LinkedIn was FaceBook for people with no lives, outside of the office.

I have an account, and a listing, but I haven't updated it in like 3 years. I do get notices from LinkedIn that some 'friend' of mine has just 'friended' some other person, or business, and used to get trolled heavily by a very homely looking religious nutjob. She wanted to save me. I guess she gave up...

It's all about networking, but the last time I went to a Chamber of commerce 'get together' after hours thing (networking), it looked like the geeks at the dance, all huddled around talking about their computers and Star Trek while the hot chicks totally blew them off. I didn't apparently care enough about the douche bags and their scores at golf to get into the clique groups so La-De-Da... I'd rather pick lint out of my navel, thanks...

BUT for people that 'get it', they LOVE it. There are still apparently some people still flogging MySpace too, but that doesn't mean I want to, or want to deny them their fix.

LinkedIn is a 'tool'. So is a hammer, and so is an accountant. I don't carry a hammer around everywhere just in case I see a nail, and I don't want to socialize with my accountant. But there are other features of iOS I don't use. So what... If it keeps the geeks off the streets at night... :)

tobyw7
Jun 19, 2013, 04:49 PM
I know a lot of people who say LinkedIn isn't important. But, inbetween looking for a new job, it's been invaluable.

I also attempt to connect with a whole load of recruiters so at any time if I'm looking for a new role all it takes is one update.

With regards to the comments saying the shared links and other content is of a higher quality, this is also true. There are more people in the biz field. For example, if you're in the IT industry, you're more likely to be connected with a whole bunch of other people also in that industry who are going to be more interested about your tech-based link or content you're sharing than some odd Joe Bloggs.

It works, it's powerful, and if you're not on it now's a good time to try it out! :cool:

kurosov
Jun 20, 2013, 09:53 AM
I'm actually looking forward to this myself.

I just hope LinkedIn decide to release a decent app to go along with it. It may seem crazy but they somehow managed to make one worse than the Facebook app.

doctor-don
Jun 20, 2013, 01:11 PM
Although some people / professionals believe LI is great for their purposes, LI remains a spammer and is guilty of having an 'opt out' instead of an 'opt in' policy. Instead, a member can have his contacts stolen and 'invitations' to 'join' LI will be sent to everyone in that address book, all in an attempt to enlarge its base.

I do not appreciate the continual bombardment from LI, and I certainly do not appreciate why LI believes I would want to give access to them of my contacts. Stay out of my address book, stop sending email 'invitations to join' to me, and stop sending email to friends as though it had come from me.

LI is in the same category as Tagged and anyone else who would take over a person's contacts and use them to send more spam.

thefourthpope
Jun 21, 2013, 12:31 AM
Those saying they see little use for LinkedIn or that it's worthless likely don't have great paying jobs or work in a very professional environment. For those of us that do, it's a very important tool.
Anyone making over $60k/yr and not making use of LinkedIn is missing out on the chance for a much better paying job and being generally better at your job (those making less than that too but it tends to be even better the higher up you are).

What you have is a narrow view of "paying jobs" and "professional environment." I'm uni faculty--not the worst gig available--and LinkedIn offers relatively little return on my investment. I won't cry about Apple integrating it more completely, but it's by no means a key component of my profession.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Jun 21, 2013, 10:43 AM
What you have is a narrow view of "paying jobs" and "professional environment." I'm uni faculty--not the worst gig available--and LinkedIn offers relatively little return on my investment. I won't cry about Apple integrating it more completely, but it's by no means a key component of my profession.

I'd be willing that you could benefit from LinkedIn, you just don't think you can or know how.

thefourthpope
Jun 21, 2013, 11:50 AM
I'd be willing that you could benefit from LinkedIn, you just don't think you can or know how.

I've invested a lot of time into LinkedIn. But the options are limited.

Possibly for finding like-minded researchers to join up with, but our professional organizations all have their own conferences and/or site forums for just that purpose. Relevant news is distributed via dedicated e-newsletters and publications. All hiring is done via specialty pages as well. I occasionally see people from this or that place have looked at my profile, but it's always someone that I've already met with in person, or someone at a place where I've already sent a CV as part of the application process.

donnaw
Jun 21, 2013, 07:56 PM
I've invested a lot of time into LinkedIn. But the options are limited.

Possibly for finding like-minded researchers to join up with, but our professional organizations all have their own conferences and/or site forums for just that purpose. Relevant news is distributed via dedicated e-newsletters and publications. All hiring is done via specialty pages as well. I occasionally see people from this or that place have looked at my profile, but it's always someone that I've already met with in person, or someone at a place where I've already sent a CV as part of the application process.

My husband is an engineer and works mostly overseas on contract. While he also belongs to several organizations and regularly attends conferences and meetings all over the world his last two jobs came via LinkedIn.

He may meet people at the conferences/meetings but LinkedIn allows them to keep in touch much more easily while connecting to others that they may not have met. His professional contact list is now quite extensive and he rarely has to look for a new job (once the current contract is up). There seems to always be someone he has connected with that are in need of his services. And that doesn't count the headhunters (who seem to be rather worthless when it comes to actually reading qualifications and experience).

Perhaps your profession is made up of a smaller group but for many people who work in a professional environment LinkedIn is THE source and way to maintain connections. In the global environment we now live in it just isn't feasible to make/maintain the contacts needed to get the really good jobs otherwise.

For those who stated that Facebook is just as good, well, good luck using Facebook to further your professional life. It may work for a small minority but the vast majority of professions aren't interested in seeing your personal life mixed in with your professional credentials.

MrNomNoms
Jul 1, 2013, 01:07 PM
Those saying they see little use for LinkedIn or that it's worthless likely don't have great paying jobs or work in a very professional environment. For those of us that do, it's a very important tool. Not only does it allow you to keep in contact with all kinds of business contacts but it's also one of the best ways to find a new and even better paying job. It allows us to network with people that can help us land that director or VP position at the company we want to be at. It allows us to keep up with industry news from those that are actually in the industry rather than the jumble of news you get elsewhere. The quality of items shared on LinkedIn has been shown to be much much higher than that on other sites like Facebook or Twitter. Anyone making over $60k/yr and not making use of LinkedIn is missing out on the chance for a much better paying job and being generally better at your job (those making less than that too but it tends to be even better the higher up you are).

Make me kind of wonder whether we're going to see Yammer integration soon as well.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Jul 1, 2013, 01:53 PM
Make me kind of wonder whether we're going to see Yammer integration soon as well.

Really doubt it. I don't see them being big enough at this point nor are they something most use every day like the more mainstream social networks.

MrNomNoms
Jul 1, 2013, 09:36 PM
Really doubt it. I don't see them being big enough at this point nor are they something most use every day like the more mainstream social networks.

You do realise what Yammer is? it is a service where companies can setup their own internal social network for collaboration; it is a service provided by Microsoft:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yammer

Microsoft provides a native application:

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/yammer/id289559439?mt=8

But integration with iOS would be even nicer.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Jul 2, 2013, 09:25 AM
You do realise what Yammer is? it is a service where companies can setup their own internal social network for collaboration; it is a service provided by Microsoft:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yammer

Microsoft provides a native application:

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/yammer/id289559439?mt=8

But integration with iOS would be even nicer.

I'm well aware of what it is. Still, it's not that commonly used and not something I'd ever see them adding before the other much more popular social networks like Instagram, Vine, and others. Additionally, what are the chances of Apple integrating a Microsoft product? Slim to none.

globalsignapac
Jul 3, 2013, 01:32 AM
Business owners would surely benefit with this kind of integration. Facebook and twitter are too mainstream anyway, some of us would love to address via social media on a more formal manner and Linkedin is one of the best social networking sites in which we can acquire potential client and other business transactions.

maxosx
Jul 3, 2013, 08:01 PM
Nobody cares.

Apple does since their expertise is getting paid. Being in bed with LinkedIn is sure to involve additional income for Apple one way or another. Making profit at every turn is expected within Apple. It's amazing how they do it.

Risco
Jul 6, 2013, 10:49 AM

It puts your name out there, if potential employers like what they see then you can get headhunted. In return it could lead to a better job, with higher wages etc.

Dannel
Jul 8, 2013, 09:52 PM
Maybe it would be more useful for some people, but it does not mean much to me.