Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
So I tried to downgrade back to iOS 6, but due to the fact that my phone auto-backed up when I plugged into itunes, my latest phone backup is from the iOS 7 version. Thus, when I put iOS 6 back on, it only gave me the option to set up as new phone since you can't put an iOS7 backup onto an iOS6 device. I really don't want to start over with everything so am I out of luck?? Do I have to stick with the beta now to keep all my settings/content??

EDIT: Now it isn't even letting me put iOS 7 back onto the device so I'm locked out! Is there any way I can grab my iOS6 backup from June 10th onto my phone? or does it only save the latest backup??

Last edited:

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
You have to go step by step until you ran out of options.

Go to iTunes... tab bar iTunes/Preferences/Devices

It shows the backups that you have, try and see if there's a backup with a day prior to the iOS 7 update.

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Set it up as new, then recover from backup.

Thank you... this did work. The problem was, I was trying to "restore" from the iOS7 rather than just set up as new phone on iOS 6, and then "update" to the iOS7. Then I was able to use the backup created earlier today. Got all my stuff back!!

You have to go step by step until you ran out of options.

Go to iTunes... tab bar iTunes/Preferences/Devices

It shows the backups that you have, try and see if there's a backup with a day prior to the iOS 7 update.

Thanks I see what you're saying, but for some reason, It has only the iOS7 backups from today, then it jumps back to 2012! So I guess I'm stuck with iOS7 if I want to keep my stuff.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Thank you... this did work. The problem was, I was trying to "restore" from the iOS7 rather than just set up as new phone on iOS 6, and then "update" to the iOS7. Then I was able to use the backup created earlier today. Got all my stuff back!!

Glad to help. Odd that you have no iOS 6 backups.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Thanks I see what you're saying, but for some reason, It has only the iOS7 backups from today, then it jumps back to 2012! So I guess I'm stuck with iOS7 if I want to keep my stuff.

Oh well, the exact thing happened to me, installed iOS 7 and then wanted the iOS 6 backup just in case I wanted to go back to iOS 6 but it disappeared, so I entered Time Machine and got my backup from June 12th.

For future references in Mac the iTunes iPhone backup is store here:

/Users/[user]/Library/Application Support/MobileSync where [user] is your username.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I wonder how many people having backup problems didn't change the iTunes automatic syn default. They may have made an iOS 6 backup ahead of time, but if they didn't change the default, as soon as the phone reboots in iOS 7, there goes that backup, unless they saved the backup to another place as well.

----------

:slowclap: for yet another thread of non-devs installing betas.

This is the second person in as many days, installing a beta with a broken button. What could go wrong? Good thing there are some smart and experienced people here that can help.

priesty16

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
Australia

If you can't do it then what does this mean?

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
You might've been able to use iBackupbot to extract data from the iOS 7 backup to import into a new iOS 6 one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.