Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zephyer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2013
Heya. i dont have an official apple store in my country, so i want to get a macbook air from abroad. 8g ram is a must have for me. do they hold them in stores, or just basic / ultimate models? or just depends if you're lucky or not? thanks!

taff2003

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
UK
They did in the UK. I ordered the i7 / 8GB RAM / 512GB SSD online, then thought to ring my local store to check whether they were stocking them. They were, so I cancelled my online order and picked up my new MBA later that same day. I was told they had a lot of them in stock.

Zephyer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2013
awesome, you guys give me hope :) thanks for replying, i would love an australian person to reply about this though

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I was in one yesterday and it was only base models and ultimate. Which seems strange, as the 8 GB upgrade is what everyone wants, but almost nobody wants that high priced 512 gb ssd.

Zephyer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2013
QCassidy352 - so true. i think its deliberately like that, to force people to get the ultimate on the physical store rather than waiting for shipping for just the 8g upgrade.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I believe you could return the ultimate model from the store if you decided you didn't like it within the allowable period. Unless Apple has changed their policy, there are no returns any custom order macs (such as additional RAM).

Just another subtle difference to keep in mind when making a choice. :)

Last edited:

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I believe you could return the ultimate model from the store if you decided you didn't like it within the allowable period. Unless Apple has changed their policy, there are no returns any custom order macs (such as additional RAM).

Just another thing subtle difference to keep in mind when making a choice. :)

Correct, no refunds on BTO/CTO, and no replacement unless DOA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.