Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
So it looks like there is no option to turn off the biggest battery drainer on ios, GPS, from Control Center? Do you think this will change before a final release? Seems like a strange omission. :confused:

j0han

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
Sweden
Would love to see a option where you could decide what the 5 toggle's would be.

Like GPS, Screen Rotation On/Off, FlightPlane mode etc.

But that would be too much to wish for! (hae hae hae)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Would love to see a option where you could decide what the 5 toggle's would be.

Like GPS, Screen Rotation On/Off, FlightPlane mode etc.

But that would be too much to wish for! (hae hae hae)

What do you mean by "FlightPlane mode" ? The control center has airplane mode on it.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I'm pretty sure that is because GPS by default is "off". If you want to disable GPS, quit the app that is requesting it.

The bigger omission is that you can't go directly into Settings from Control Center.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
I'm pretty sure that is because GPS by default is "off". If you want to disable GPS, quit the app that is requesting it.

The bigger omission is that you can't go directly into Settings from Control Center.

Ok.... I thought GPS was still running in the background? I turn it off to save battery.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
iPhone doesn't have an option to turn off GPS as such. It has Location Services.

As long as you don't have any apps requesting your location open, it isn't active.

A lot of apps that request your location use Wifi and cell tower triangulation to figure out where you are, which is a much more efficient way of calculating location, all be it not as accurate.

Look for the Location Services indicator by the battery icon in the status bar, when its not there your phone isn't requesting any information about your location.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Keep in mind when you take a picture position is recorded within the pic. I'd like a way to turn that on and off quickly. For the most part I want it on, but certain pictures I don't want the location imbedded in it.

Check this out.

y2ubuhyd.jpg

So yeah, be nice to turn off. Be careful who you send pictures too.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Keep in mind when you take a picture position is recorded within the pic. I'd like a way to turn that on and off quickly. For the most part I want it on, but certain pictures I don't want the location imbedded in it.

Check this out.

So yeah, be nice to turn off. Be careful who you send pictures too.

From memory, you're asked whether to store the location the first time you use the camera. This can also be toggled under Settings > Location Services > Camera. I have it turned off :)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
From memory, you're asked whether to store the location the first time you use the camera. This can also be toggled under Settings > Location Services > Camera. I have it turned off :)

Yep.

However diving into the menu is a pain compared to a quick toggle.

I have a restriction passcode turned on so find my iPhone can't be turned off very easily.

That said the toggle would need to either work separately from find my iPhone or be password protected. Probably the reason Apple didn't implement it.

Btw I like it turned on because it helps me find pictures I'm looking for faster. It can be difficult finding pics in iOS 6.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
iPhone doesn't have an option to turn off GPS as such. It has Location Services.

As long as you don't have any apps requesting your location open, it isn't active.

A lot of apps that request your location use Wifi and cell tower triangulation to figure out where you are, which is a much more efficient way of calculating location, all be it not as accurate.

Look for the Location Services indicator by the battery icon in the status bar, when its not there your phone isn't requesting any information about your location.

Ok. But I would still like a toggle to turn it off. :)

j0han

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
Sweden
What do you mean by "FlightPlane mode" ? The control center has airplane mode on it.

was meaning that it would be nice to be able to decide on your own which options you would want to be able to see in Control Center.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.