PDA

View Full Version : Overhyped

shenfrey
Jun 19, 2013, 02:06 PM
I think it's over hyped, it's just a reskin of iOS and doesn't really hold anything ground breaking. Beside the new look, it just has a few new note worthy features that Apple has played catch up on.

Multitasking
Automatic updates
Control centre
More rooms In folders (because we were begging for that apparently)

There's so much more they could of done :
Widgets
Default apps
New keyboard (it's a reskin)
Improved notification centre and the ability to swipe to close
Plus other features that apple could of wowed us with that haven't already been done.

I love iPhone and will stay with iPhone, however I'm sorry to say I can't love this update as much as some of you, I won't let the simple act of a reskin cloud my judgement and force me to think its the next big thing. I still hold out hope that one day, apple will amaze us, truly amaze us.

j0han
Jun 19, 2013, 02:07 PM
A change is always hard for someone. But a change is necessary.

I welcome this change!

sonicrobby
Jun 19, 2013, 02:08 PM
Whats wrong with they keyboard? D:

falconeight
Jun 19, 2013, 02:25 PM
I don't want widgets. I really really don't want widgets. I have yet to use or see one that is worth it.

snappyfool
Jun 19, 2013, 02:32 PM
I don't want widgets. I really really don't want widgets. I have yet to use or see one that is worth it.

You probably wouldn't be forced to install one if they did allow for them.

charlituna
Jun 19, 2013, 02:35 PM
I think it's over hyped, it's just a reskin of iOS and doesn't really hold anything ground breaking.

We'll see if you say that when you actually have your hands on the final version of the software

asleep
Jun 19, 2013, 02:37 PM
Don't forget about the cool new skinny font!

It's all about the font, man.

shenfrey
Jun 19, 2013, 02:38 PM
We'll see if you say that when you actually have your hands on the final version of the software

Maybe, but so far bright colours and clever - needless- animations aren't making me say that.

I'll get back to you on that however :)

VSMacOne
Jun 19, 2013, 02:40 PM
If that's all you see iOS7 to be, you're missing the bigger point. Apple has always been about Apps. They want you to spend more time in the app because that's what iOS has been about. What iOS7 will do is open the door to developers to create a totally different app experience. That's what iOS7 is about.

the8thark
Jun 19, 2013, 02:43 PM
I think it's over hyped, it's just a reskin of iOS and doesn't really hold anything ground breaking. Beside the new look, it just has a few new note worthy features that Apple has played catch up on.
I thought the same about OS X 10.5. But after a while it grew on me. The new features and the new UI. So I say give it a little time, wait till it's released and use it a little then we all will be able to give a proper opinion on iOS7.

falconeight
Jun 19, 2013, 02:46 PM

They ruin the experience.

sonicrobby
Jun 19, 2013, 02:48 PM
They ruin the experience.

Thats an opinion. I think the new design of iOS7 ruins my experience. But again, thats my opinion, and everyone is entitled to one.

C DM
Jun 19, 2013, 03:16 PM

Multitasking
Automatic updates
Control centre

Widgets
Default apps
Plus other features that apple could of wowed us with that haven't already been done.

I love iPhone and will stay with iPhone, however I'm sorry to say I can't love this update as much as some of you, I won't let the simple act of a reskin cloud my judgement and force me to think its the next big thing. I still hold out hope that one day, apple will amaze us, truly amaze us.Even with just those bolded items above, the new iOS still represents quite a big improvement compared to changes between previous iOS versions.

bchery21
Jun 19, 2013, 03:18 PM
Thats an opinion. I think the new design of iOS7 ruins my experience. But again, thats my opinion, and everyone is entitled to one.

If you don't mind, can you elaborate on how the new design ruins your experience?

twintin
Jun 19, 2013, 03:47 PM
Multitasking
Automatic updates
Control centre

You missed AirDrop, iCloud keychain, unified URL/search bar in Safari and probably a couple of other 100 things. ;) :)

And to be honest, your other suggestions may be a welcome addition to some, but hardly "ground breaking" considering they already exists on other platforms.

GoCubsGo
Jun 19, 2013, 03:49 PM

Your opinion is all kinds of subjective not to mention, just because you didn't want a feature doesn't mean no one did. Stop speaking for "we" and start speaking for you.

I don't have iOS 7, but there are things I'm not super fond of. For a beta, it is not terribly broken.

Kohkane
Jun 19, 2013, 03:51 PM
The average consumer could really give a crap about widgets. ;)

shenfrey
Jun 19, 2013, 03:56 PM
Your opinion is all kinds of subjective not to mention, just because you didn't want a feature doesn't mean no one did. Stop speaking for "we" and start speaking for you.

I don't have iOS 7, but there are things I'm not super fond of. For a beta, it is not terribly broken.

Of course it's subjective. That's why I started the message with "I think.." : )

portishead
Jun 19, 2013, 04:00 PM

I disagree about it being overhyped, in fact, I think it's gotten more criticism so far than it deserves, but you have some fair points that I will go over.

Multitasking
Automatic updates
Control centre

There's WAY more features added than this. I'm not even going to bother to go over them.

Widgets

The quick menu is enough for me, however I wish you could add ANY button from any app to load onto it. So I could use something like WeMo, and have it there to turn a light on/off easily.

Default apps

I originally wanted this as a feature, but with the new features added to Safari, I have no default app I would even change. You want to send a photo to photoshop or a video to VLC instead? You can just open the app and do what you want, so this feature doesn't really do anything for me personally.

This is one of my biggest complaints, I hate the new keyboard, but I think it will get updated as it's only beta 1.

Swipe to delete or close like they did with Mail would be nice as the little X is hard to press for me. I wouldn't call that a "wow" feature, but it would be nice.

I love iPhone and will stay with iPhone, however I'm sorry to say I can't love this update as much as some of you, I won't let the simple act of a reskin cloud my judgement and force me to think its the next big thing. I still hold out hope that one day, apple will amaze us, truly amaze us.

I think the features you pointed out are very minor and with it being beta 1 and all... we don't know what else will get tweaked. I think you're missing a TON of new features though.

seble
Jun 19, 2013, 04:06 PM
Whats wrong with they keyboard? D:

+1 on this. Every other OS I've used Android and WP stock keyboards I've hated. And believe me I've given those bleeders a chance. I can't type anywhere as fast on those stock ones as I can on my iPhone.

cmChimera
Jun 19, 2013, 04:18 PM

Multitasking
Automatic updates
Control centre

Widgets
Default apps

You're overhyped.

Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 19, 2013, 04:22 PM
Widgets

I think we are getting widgets, just not in the obtrusive Android way. For example, Today in Notification Center is a much better implementation than just having widgets on the home screen, and Control Center takes care of most common things that widgets are used for.

Also, if Apple adds an API for live icons, like the clock app is in iOS 7, then that is another step in the right direction.

falconeight
Jun 19, 2013, 04:29 PM

It doesn't hinder the performance of the os. Widgets, palm waves, and all the other stuff on android make it a laggy, choppy experience.

xcodeaddict
Jun 19, 2013, 04:30 PM
It's backkkk! :p

iOS 7 complaint fever has hit a second wave... :rolleyes:

falconeight
Jun 19, 2013, 04:31 PM
It's backkkk! :p

iOS 7 complaint fever has hit a second wave... :rolleyes:

Yes it has. Now people want android on iphones. Some people just don't get it.

CTHarrryH
Jun 19, 2013, 04:35 PM
forgetting the thousand or so additional API's that will allow all sorts of additional application functions. We haven't seen any of that yet in IOS7. The IOS is just the framework.

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 19, 2013, 04:38 PM
I think if people had a way to meld iOS and Android on their phone, they would still complain about the OS.

In my opinion, it would be best to wait until the actual release, and test the OS for several months, before categorically stating that the OS is over-hyped.

xcodeaddict
Jun 19, 2013, 05:08 PM
Yes it has. Now people want android on iphones. Some people just don't get it.

As long as they don't want iOS on Android phones :D

Masquerade
Jun 19, 2013, 05:35 PM
You have 2 widgets clock and calendar

Multitasking
Automatic updates
Control centre

Widgets
Default apps

likemyorbs
Jun 19, 2013, 05:47 PM
I don't want widgets. I had them when I was using android and i never used them.

falconeight
Jun 19, 2013, 05:51 PM
Widgets, bloatware, outdated software, skins, fragmentation, lag, viruses, etc. All things I don't want or need on my phone. That was 90's windows and it can stay there.

C64
Jun 19, 2013, 06:21 PM
If that's all you see iOS7 to be, you're missing the bigger point. Apple has always been about Apps. They want you to spend more time in the app because that's what iOS has been about. What iOS7 will do is open the door to developers to create a totally different app experience. That's what iOS7 is about.
Exactly. Sure, they can add widgets and all sorts of stuff just to check a checkbox on a feature list, but at the end of the day what does it really matter? I'd rather use great apps because developers love the platform and iOS enables developers to create great things.

What I've been hearing/reading so far is that developers are quite happy about the changes. Everybody is a bit unsure about the icons, and they don't know if little (design) things are intentional or not finished yet due to it being just a first beta, but they like the overall direction of iOS because it gives them a lot of new opportunities.

Jimmy James
Jun 19, 2013, 06:36 PM
By the same token Android is overhyped. I would be using it to perform the same functions I'm performing now. Is it more fun or more efficient in some ways? Maybe. Mind blowing? No.

sonicrobby
Jun 19, 2013, 08:40 PM
If you don't mind, can you elaborate on how the new design ruins your experience?

Its unappealing to look at for me. Ill admit im very superficial, and looks make up 50% of any decision I make (on both devices and people). I honestly bought the iphone because of the looks of the OS and the phone. While I do believe it's something i could get used to, doesnt mean its something I'd love. Im still designing my apps based off the graphics of the previous OS's just because I couldnt even dream of letting that go. <<all personal preferences.

It doesn't hinder the performance of the os. Widgets, palm waves, and all the other stuff on android make it a laggy, choppy experience.

That all depends on the internals of the phone. You put enough demand on any device and it'll be bound to get choppy.

falconeight
Jun 19, 2013, 09:19 PM
Its unappealing to look at for me. Ill admit im very superficial, and looks make up 50% of any decision I make (on both devices and people). I honestly bought the iphone because of the looks of the OS and the phone. While I do believe it's something i could get used to, doesnt mean its something I'd love. Im still designing my apps based off the graphics of the previous OS's just because I couldnt even dream of letting that go. <<all personal preferences.

That all depends on the internals of the phone. You put enough demand on any device and it'll be bound to get choppy.

Thats true, I bought the galaxy s4 which is the most powerful android and it was still laggy.

Menneisyys2
Jun 20, 2013, 04:24 AM

It's highly unlikely any new, major feature (e.g., split-screen multitasking a'la WinRT or Sammy's higher-end devices) will be added to the final version.

----------

forgetting the thousand or so additional API's that will allow all sorts of additional application functions. We haven't seen any of that yet in IOS7. The IOS is just the framework.

Too bad iOS7 still lags badly behind Android and even, in many respects, WinRT when it comes to actually doing things - for example, sensor reading, layers in the stock Camera apps, advanced multitasking (iOS7's one is a watered-down version compared to WinRT / Android) etc. And the new API's don't help this much, no matter what Apple states.

redbeard331
Jun 20, 2013, 06:04 AM
The day Apple gives us widgets will be the day everyone on Macrumors suddenly loves them and always wanted them. Virtually everyone who jailbreaks their iPhone adds widgets, so I find it funny when a tiny but vocal minority on a website claim "nobody wants them", as if only their opinions matter.

If someone asked for the parallax effect a couple weeks ago it would have been trashed here, now that Apple added it everyone loves it, gotta laugh..

adildacoolset
Jun 20, 2013, 06:43 AM

No, but when I see samsung devices, the preloaded widgets make the home screen a complete mess. Widgets here, apps there, and no order. That is the exact opposite of what Jony Ive described about iOS 7.

----------

You missed AirDrop, iCloud keychain, unified URL/search bar in Safari and probably a couple of other 100 things. ;) :)

And to be honest, your other suggestions may be a welcome addition to some, but hardly "ground breaking" considering they already exists on other platforms.

This. There are plenty of small features that haven't been talked about, as there are too many of them. There are also innovations which aren't present in other platforms. Things like dynamic typing, the system-wide UI dynamics and translucency, and all that stuff. They do make a difference.

----------

Not to mention the cost of battery life and the CPU cycles used in grabbing and updating information for all those useless weather apps someone downloads so they can show off to their friends. Seriously, widgets are overrated. The homescreen should not be a place to start hanging around. It should act as a very easy and rapid place to access your content. Notification centre (with the Today menu) and control centre should be able to serve the purpose without ******* up the home screen.

CallOfDuty
Jun 20, 2013, 06:55 AM
So on theory Android are actually reskins.
The transition from Android 2.x > 4 (3.0 is the tablet version) can also be considered a reskin too.
The thing is that Apple has changed how the entire OS feels. Reskinning simply means changing how the OS looks. iOS 7 feels entirely new to me imo .

----------

Not to mention the cost of battery life and the CPU cycles used in grabbing and updating information for all those useless weather apps someone downloads so they can show off to their friends. Seriously, widgets are overrated. The homescreen should not be a place to start hanging around. It should act as a very easy and rapid place to access your content. Notification centre (with the Today menu) and control centre should be able to serve the purpose without ******* up the home screen.

This, +1
I still don't get widgets. I mean, widgets for Email? Are you kidding me? I have seen people using the tiny widget to scroll through their inbox. Why not just open the app? It is useful if it updates and shows NEW emails, but using widgets to browse through your emails is pointless and way unintuitive.

johndallas999
Jun 20, 2013, 07:24 AM

Ahem...you do realize there are billions of people on this planet and not all of them feel the way you do about widgets right? What would be the harm in giving everyone the choice to use them then you could turn them off and the rest of the planet could turn them on. :p

cwwilson
Jun 20, 2013, 07:26 AM
They just need to have a swipe feature for the keyboard and I'll be happy.

Smith288
Jun 20, 2013, 07:40 AM

That's, like, your opinion, man....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FB8KgRxKX2A/SEN_7ZY-SZI/AAAAAAAAAX4/840iz5CCOoY/s320/The_Big_Lebowski___Jeff_Bridges.jpg

:D

TroyBoy30
Jun 20, 2013, 07:44 AM
i dont use widgets on my note ii. most are simply glorified shortcuts.

Menneisyys2
Jun 20, 2013, 09:24 AM
If someone asked for the parallax effect a couple weeks ago it would have been trashed here, now that Apple added it everyone loves it, gotta laugh..

Yup, pretty typical behaviour for Apple fanboys...

j4zb4
Jun 20, 2013, 09:44 AM
You have 2 widgets clock and calendar

3 widgets... You forgot the Weather... :)

----------

Ahem...you do realize there are billions of people on this planet and not all of them feel the way you do about widgets right? What would be the harm in giving everyone the choice to use them then you could turn them off and the rest of the planet could turn them on. :p

There is a choice... It's called Android... :p :p

cynics
Jun 20, 2013, 09:46 AM
+1 on this. Every other OS I've used Android and WP stock keyboards I've hated. And believe me I've given those bleeders a chance. I can't type anywhere as fast on those stock ones as I can on my iPhone.

With practice you can nearly quadruple your WPM with a keyboard like swiftkeys.

This sentence takes 21 key presses with swiftkeys. Versus iOS taking 51 key presses one of which was to stop iOS autocorrect from correct the name swiftkeys.

But it takes a little practice. Once its learned your habits its practically a mind reader.

xcodeaddict
Jun 20, 2013, 09:46 AM
Widgets: only for someone who is too lazy to tap the app itself - I mean, it's not as if that requires you to exert some unbearable amount of effort... YOU JUST TAP IT AND IT OPENS.

Widgets: Android phone designers can't bear to not be able to justify such enormous screens, because negative space is considered a bad thing, in circles where designers have no taste or sense of proportion.

Most widgets end up opening the app ANYWAY when you tap them... so what, exactly, is the point? It's just another redundant step to come between the user and the information they need.

falconeight
Jun 20, 2013, 10:01 AM
Widgets: only for someone who is too lazy to tap the app itself - I mean, it's not as if that requires you to exert some unbearable amount of effort... YOU JUST TAP IT AND IT OPENS.

Widgets: Android phone designers can't bear to not be able to justify such enormous screens, because negative space is considered a bad thing, in circles where designers have no taste or sense of proportion.

Most widgets end up opening the app ANYWAY when you tap them... so what, exactly, is the point? It's just another redundant step to come between the user and the information they need.

Nicely said. Widgets are just a gimmick. Like a Ford Mustang with a non functioning hood scoop.

Night Spring
Jun 20, 2013, 10:05 AM
There are plenty of small features that haven't been talked about, as there are too many of them. There are also innovations which aren't present in other platforms. Things like dynamic typing, the system-wide UI dynamics and translucency, and all that stuff. They do make a difference.

Dynamic typing? What is that?

MonkeySee....
Jun 20, 2013, 10:18 AM

Multitasking
Automatic updates
Control centre

Widgets
Default apps

So you know the full workings of iOS 7 then?

Are you even using it? Its not "just" a reskin.

The navigation around settings and apps has changed.

Multitasking now intelligently updates your apps in the background dependent on when you use them most.

Maps gives you more info than before when using navigation.

Compass can now be used as a "level" also.

Photos app has had a complete redesign

Weather gives you more info

Appstore now runs faster

Camera is enhanced

Safari is redesigned

Reminders is redesigned

ETC ETC ETC ETC

----------

The day Apple gives us widgets will be the day everyone on Macrumors suddenly loves them and always wanted them. Virtually everyone who jailbreaks their iPhone adds widgets, so I find it funny when a tiny but vocal minority on a website claim "nobody wants them", as if only their opinions matter.

I've not met a person who's added widgets via a jailbreak.

You think the "minority" don't want widgets?? haha. Take a good read of this site and come back to me on that "minority".

xcodeaddict
Jun 20, 2013, 10:37 AM

Watch the WWDC session videos and you'll soon know :)

Night Spring
Jun 20, 2013, 10:41 AM
Watch the WWDC session videos and you'll soon know :)

I'm not a dev. Is the info under NDA?

adildacoolset
Jun 20, 2013, 10:46 AM

It's not something Apple advertised, but they really emphasised it to developers: It's a new way of displaying text . You can actually scale up the text without making it too thick, and scale it down without making it too thin. So it'll be easily legible.

And the user will be able to set the text size system-wide (in all apps). So if I have bad eyes, I can set all text to appear larger in settings, then all apps that support the dynamic typing will show the larger text. The UI of all apps will respond and change so that the bigger text can happen without overlaps.

It's really one of those cool and small features that can make a huge difference.

xcodeaddict
Jun 20, 2013, 10:47 AM
I'm not a dev. Is the info under NDA?

It's free to sign up...... so sign up?

xcodeaddict
Jun 20, 2013, 10:50 AM
It's not something Apple advertised, but they really emphasised it to developers: It's a new way of displaying text . You can actually scale up the text without making it too thick, and scale it down without making it too thin. So it'll be easily legible.

And the user will be able to set the text size system-wide (in all apps). So if I have bad eyes, I can set all text to appear larger in settings, then all apps that support the dynamic typing will show the larger text. The UI of all apps will respond and change so that the bigger text can happen without overlaps.

It's really one of those cool and small features that can make a huge difference.

A picture speaks a thousand words - dynamic text in iOS 7:

randy98mtu
Jun 20, 2013, 10:54 AM
I'm currently jailbroken and I see iOS 7 as implementing many of the popular tweaks in a far cleaner manner. I really like the way they have cleaned up all the toolbars, made the status bar transparent, added control center, etc. I love the swipe back and forward being universal. I think that will be huge for such a minor change. I still want widgets and the ability to put my icons anywhere I want. I love photography and want my wallpaper front and center. I have 2 widgets equivalent to 1 row each along with 5 icons in my dock and I swipe to a second page on the dock to get to a folder that has most of my other apps. I use my phone for music a lot, so I have a music widget so I don't need to go into the app. Swipe right or left to skip forward or back right on the home screen. And I have the weather/clock widget at the top of the home screen.

I would also like smaller tweaks, such as scaling icons, adding transparency to icons, and removing labels from icons. Those are all the first things I did after jailbreaking. I will likely just put a row of folders across the top to clean up the home screen as much as I can. But I'm excited about the direction iOS 7 is going for once.

Night Spring
Jun 20, 2013, 11:06 AM

Thank you for the explanation.

I just wish Apple would implement this system-wide. For instance, I'd love it if I could make the font bigger in Notification Center. Also, I believe this isn't implemented in the Settings app. I do hope many devs choose to implement this, but in a way, things like this would work better if it weren't an option, but a system-wide setting that applies to all apps no matter what. So that devs don't even have to think about it, and those of us who need vision enhancement can have it in all apps.

cynics
Jun 20, 2013, 11:13 AM

Seriously a widget is for someone too "lazy" to tap an app? We are talking about smart phones here.

This is as silly as someone saying "a weather app is for someone to lazy to look out a window or predict their own weather". "Tapatalk is for those too lazy to open safari and goto a forum".

I think you are confusing convenience and an easy way of doing certain things with laziness. Laziness would be someone that didn't bother to set up a widget or download an app just because they were too lazy to do so. Not someone that wants valuable information to them on the screen at all times. What about the stock widget in iOS? I guess I'm just lazy right? Should just drive to the stock exchange. What about the weather widget in iOS? I guess when I'm hiking for days on end and look at it is because I'm lazy.

Android phone designers make large screens because they outsells the small screen variants (S3 Mini, S4 Mini, Droid line, etc). Blame the consumer for small screens not selling not the companies supplying them. You think if Apple introduced a 4.5" iPhone next to the 4" iPhone the 4.5" wouldn't immediately outsell the 4"?

Widgets are redundant AND a step between the user and the information? So which is it?

iPhone
1. Unlock phone
2. Tap app
Done

Widget/Live tile
1. Unlock phone
Done
Then if you require more information you can.
2. Tap widget
Done

Not exactly extra steps is there? It is another method of opening an app so that could be called redundant. More steps would be the iOS way currently.

1. Unlock phone
2. Pull notification window
Then if you need more info
3. Tap widget

Very strange post IMO. Because in the end if you don't like them, don't use them! Easy as that. Most of my friends don't use iOS widgets. They don't like them but at the same time they don't hate them. They just don't use them!

xcodeaddict
Jun 20, 2013, 11:41 AM
Seriously a ...

TL;DR

You like widgets? Great! :)

cynics
Jun 20, 2013, 11:44 AM
TL;DR

You like widgets? Great! :)

You read and know I'm right or you were to lazy it read it. Which one of those is it? ;)

falconeight
Jun 20, 2013, 11:56 AM
Just the word "widget" makes me hate them.

saldawop
Jun 20, 2013, 12:00 PM
Just the word "widget" makes me hate them.
Until Apple "invent " them, then you'll wonder how you ever lived without them:D

adildacoolset
Jun 20, 2013, 12:08 PM
Thank you for the explanation.

I just wish Apple would implement this system-wide. For instance, I'd love it if I could make the font bigger in Notification Center. Also, I believe this isn't implemented in the Settings app. I do hope many devs choose to implement this, but in a way, things like this would work better if it weren't an option, but a system-wide setting that applies to all apps no matter what. So that devs don't even have to think about it, and those of us who need vision enhancement can have it in all apps.

It is indeed system-wide. Ask someone if it works on notification centre (I haven't tried and I don't want to install a beta on my device). And apple made it really easy for devs to implement it.

Night Spring
Jun 20, 2013, 12:11 PM
It is indeed system-wide. Ask someone if it works on notification centre (I haven't tried and I don't want to install a beta on my device). And apple made it really easy for devs to implement it.

No, it's not, and it doesn't work on notification center, I tried.

Like I said, Apple didn't even implement this in all their stock apps, so I'm sure there will be plenty of devs who fail to implement it, too.

adildacoolset
Jun 20, 2013, 12:13 PM
Seriously a widget is for someone too "lazy" to tap an app? We are talking about smart phones here.

This is as silly as someone saying "a weather app is for someone to lazy to look out a window or predict their own weather". "Tapatalk is for those too lazy to open safari and goto a forum".

I think you are confusing convenience and an easy way of doing certain things with laziness. Laziness would be someone that didn't bother to set up a widget or download an app just because they were too lazy to do so. Not someone that wants valuable information to them on the screen at all times. What about the stock widget in iOS? I guess I'm just lazy right? Should just drive to the stock exchange. What about the weather widget in iOS? I guess when I'm hiking for days on end and look at it is because I'm lazy.

Android phone designers make large screens because they outsells the small screen variants (S3 Mini, S4 Mini, Droid line, etc). Blame the consumer for small screens not selling not the companies supplying them. You think if Apple introduced a 4.5" iPhone next to the 4" iPhone the 4.5" wouldn't immediately outsell the 4"?

Widgets are redundant AND a step between the user and the information? So which is it?

iPhone
1. Unlock phone
2. Tap app
Done

Widget/Live tile
1. Unlock phone
Done
2. Tap widget
Done

Not exactly extra steps is there? It is another method of opening an app so that could be called redundant. More steps would be the iOS way currently.

1. Unlock phone
3. Tap widget

Very strange post IMO. Because in the end if you don't like them, don't use them! Easy as that. Most of my friends don't use iOS widgets. They don't like them but at the same time they don't hate them. They just don't use them!

Let's see for iOS:

1. Press home button to turn on display
2. Pull notification window..
Done!

Or if you're in an app and you want info, here's how it goes in android:

1. Go to homescreen
2. Swipe to page that shows relevant information.
3. Go to task switcher
4. Go back to app, to resume what you were doing

and for iOS:

1. Swipe down to view info
2. Swipe up to dismiss.

And even better, your homescreen won't be completely messed up. Your apps won't be placed in two distinct locations. Your homescreen will be right there, to serve its purpose of offering a place to begin using the device.

jamesbarns
Jun 20, 2013, 12:30 PM
I personally don't see there being such a big use of widgets, it's not like the widgets on current Macs are useful really. Sure there are a few that are nice to have such as the weather and calendar, but there are already apps for that on iOS devices.

cynics
Jun 20, 2013, 01:01 PM
Let's see for iOS:

1. Press home button to turn on display
2. Pull notification window..
Done!

Or if you're in an app and you want info, here's how it goes in android:

1. Go to homescreen
2. Swipe to page that shows relevant information.
3. Go to task switcher
4. Go back to app, to resume what you were doing

and for iOS:

1. Swipe down to view info
2. Swipe up to dismiss.

And even better, your homescreen won't be completely messed up. Your apps won't be placed in two distinct locations. Your homescreen will be right there, to serve its purpose of offering a place to begin using the device.

In the current version of iOS you are going to need to unlock the phone prior to pulling down the notification window so you left out step(s).

Depending on your home screens in Android you are adding steps too. I could say.

1. Turn on iPhone
2. Unlock iPhone
3. Enter passcode
4. Pull down notification window.
5. Scroll to the bottom of all your notifications to see the widget.
6. Close notification window
7. Lock iPhone.

That's just me adding unnecessary things to make it look harder.

Plus I think the philosophy of use of an Android widget is different. I wouldn't look at widgets for info I would just see them. For example I wouldn't be interested in looking at Facebook but I notice a post that interest me so now I am. Or I see in the forecast its going to snow where previously I didn't care about the weather. If I was really curious about something I'd open the app as normally.

Btw I'm not some huge Android/Windows phone widget/live tile snob. I just see their usefulness to certain people for certain information. Apple has them and even calls them widgets and some are about useless like the weather widget, it shows current weather......ok. If I was trapped in a cell with no windows that might be useful.

It upsets people Android has them but its ok for Apple to have literally the most useless widget ever?

As far as widgets and icons, well I'd rather have short cuts then required to put them on a screen. If tapping the widget opens the app then don't put an icon on any of your screens. Nothing cleaner then blank is there?

All this is subjective I guess. So obviously neither of us are right or wrong. However if I were to make the perfect OS for ME it would include parts of iOS, android and windows. And it would most certainly have widgets/live tiles like they all do now.

TroyBoy30
Jun 20, 2013, 01:08 PM
iPhone
1. Unlock phone
2. Tap app
Done

Widget/Live tile
1. Unlock phone
Done
2. Tap widget
Done

1. Unlock phone
3. Tap widget

yea that looks good on paper, but 90% of widgets on android do not funtion that way. they simply provide a flashy shortcut to take you into the app. 1 tap is 1 tap.

cynics
Jun 20, 2013, 01:12 PM
yea that looks good on paper, but 90% of widgets on android do not funtion that way. they simply provide a flashy shortcut to take you into the app. 1 tap is 1 tap.

I use an iPhone now but when I did have Android I never had an issue with them. They were just summaries of the apps I used.

Like Facebook. I use it 2-3 times a week on iOS because I'm generally not interested in it. With Android I'd use it multiple times a day because I would just see stuff that interest me.

I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing or bad thing but I could always delete the widget if I felt I was using it too much.

randy98mtu
Jun 20, 2013, 01:15 PM
The only widgets I use on iOS 6 (jb) are forecast and jukebox. Forecast shows current weather and clock with date. Swipe left across it and it shows the next 5 days forecast. Swipe back right to go back to the previous. Jukebox shows album art and data on current track playing (or paused) Swipe left (even partially) to see what track is coming next. Swipe all the way left to skip tracks. Same for looking back. Tap on it and you get controls for volume, rating, etc. Hold on it and go to the Music app. Both far more than shortcuts to the app and central to how I use my phone.

adildacoolset
Jun 20, 2013, 01:39 PM
No, it's not, and it doesn't work on notification center, I tried.

Like I said, Apple didn't even implement this in all their stock apps, so I'm sure there will be plenty of devs who fail to implement it, too.

Oh, my bad. I'd expect it to be implemented in future beta builds. And a word of advice: don't install a beta if you're not a dev. You can screw your device and yourself over. Just hold your curiosity or whatever until fall.

----------

In the current version of iOS you are going to need to unlock the phone prior to pulling down the notification window so you left out step(s).

Depending on your home screens in Android you are adding steps too. I could say.

1. Turn on iPhone
2. Unlock iPhone
3. Enter passcode
4. Pull down notification window.
5. Scroll to the bottom of all your notifications to see the widget.
6. Close notification window
7. Lock iPhone.

That's just me adding unnecessary things to make it look harder.

Plus I think the philosophy of use of an Android widget is different. I wouldn't look at widgets for info I would just see them. For example I wouldn't be interested in looking at Facebook but I notice a post that interest me so now I am. Or I see in the forecast its going to snow where previously I didn't care about the weather. If I was really curious about something I'd open the app as normally.

Btw I'm not some huge Android/Windows phone widget/live tile snob. I just see their usefulness to certain people for certain information. Apple has them and even calls them widgets and some are about useless like the weather widget, it shows current weather......ok. If I was trapped in a cell with no windows that might be useful.

It upsets people Android has them but its ok for Apple to have literally the most useless widget ever?

As far as widgets and icons, well I'd rather have short cuts then required to put them on a screen. If tapping the widget opens the app then don't put an icon on any of your screens. Nothing cleaner then blank is there?

All this is subjective I guess. So obviously neither of us are right or wrong. However if I were to make the perfect OS for ME it would include parts of iOS, android and windows. And it would most certainly have widgets/live tiles like they all do now.

Before I comment, let's just get this out of the way: YOU'RE TYPING TOO MUCH!
Seriously, I'm not going to read a wall of text.

iOS 7 allows for accessing NC from the lock screen. This thread is about iOS 7, so that's relevant. And I still value having one single, simple homescreen over some cluttered home screen that has widgets. And the widgets on android just look very strange and awful. They seem to try and become miniature versions of entire apps. Do I want those? No. There are people like you who want them, an I don't.

And iOS notification centre can give the forecast for the entire week. Just swipe horizontally to see it. And don't complain about iOS 7 not having them, as it's still in it's first beta. Apple actually didn't include a lot of stuff, like the voice memo app.

falconeight
Until Apple "invent " them, then you'll wonder how you ever lived without them:D

Widgets have been on mac os and windows long before android arrived.

Night Spring
Oh, my bad. I'd expect it to be implemented in future beta builds. And a word of advice: don't install a beta if you're not a dev. You can screw your device and yourself over. Just hold your curiosity or whatever until fall.

Thanks for the advice. I just loaded it onto my backup 4S, so I'm ok if ithat gets bricked, or otherwise turns out unusable. My main iPhone 5 is on iOS 6, jailbroken, and probably staying that way until a jailbreak is released for iOS 7.

xcodeaddict
Jun 20, 2013, 01:44 PM
Widgets have been on mac os and windows long before android arrived.

Yep, and I never use them their, either.

phpmaven
Jun 20, 2013, 01:46 PM
I think if people had a way to meld iOS and Android on their phone, they would still complain about the OS.

In my opinion, it would be best to wait until the actual release, and test the OS for several months, before categorically stating that the OS is over-hyped.

If people could design the whole thing themselves, they'd still complain. It's just human nature.

falconeight
Jun 20, 2013, 01:48 PM
Yep, and I never use them their, either.

I know I actually delete them to save ssd space.

Parise
Jun 20, 2013, 01:54 PM
The average consumer could really give a crap about widgets. ;)

Thats opinion right? Because if thats a fact, please show me your sources.

----------

The same **** was said last year about maps... "Its still in Beta, wait until the final release before you bash it."

Well.... We know what happened there.

I do certainly expect the OS as a whole to get better and I'm really hoping they add "Search the Web" back into the spotlight search, but I'm not holding out for it to be a totally different product than what I'm currently running.

DaveOP
Jun 20, 2013, 02:20 PM
To be honest, it's underhyped. When you see the things they added under the hood that us developers will be able to do with iOS 7, you'll understand.

charlituna
Jun 20, 2013, 02:20 PM

You like to use that word EVERYONE as if there is such a thing as a universal opinion.

There is not. I've seen plenty of folks around here trash jail breaking, widgets and the whole parallax effect. As well as many other things Apple has done

adildacoolset
Jun 20, 2013, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the advice. I just loaded it onto my backup 4S, so I'm ok if ithat gets bricked, or otherwise turns out unusable. My main iPhone 5 is on iOS 6, jailbroken, and probably staying that way until a jailbreak is released for iOS 7.

Ah, lucky guy. I only have an iPhone 5 so I don't want to screw myself over.

cynics
Jun 20, 2013, 04:49 PM

----------

Before I comment, let's just get this out of the way: YOU'RE TYPING TOO MUCH!
Seriously, I'm not going to read a wall of text.

iOS 7 allows for accessing NC from the lock screen. This thread is about iOS 7, so that's relevant. And I still value having one single, simple homescreen over some cluttered home screen that has widgets. And the widgets on android just look very strange and awful. They seem to try and become miniature versions of entire apps. Do I want those? No. There are people like you who want them, an I don't.

And iOS notification centre can give the forecast for the entire week. Just swipe horizontally to see it. And don't complain about iOS 7 not having them, as it's still in it's first beta. Apple actually didn't include a lot of stuff, like the voice memo app.

Sorry for typing too much. English isn't my first language so I tend to run on I guess. I have a hard time knowing if I'm conveying what I'm trying to say properly even till today.

And I didn't know you could swipe the weather widget so thank you for that!

I am confused though. If you don't like something why would you rather they not exist? Just to upset the people that do like them?

I tend to just not use something I don't like to use. If others like it then more power to them.

falconeight
Jun 20, 2013, 04:51 PM
Sorry for typing too much. English isn't my first language so I tend to run on I guess. I have a hard time knowing if I'm conveying what I'm trying to say properly even till today.

I am confused though. If you don't like something why would you rather they not exist? Just to upset the people that do like them?

I tend to just not use something I don't like to use. If others like it then more power to them.

I would say its because widgets and add ons that we don't want actually slow down the os. Or like in Android you have to have the app drawer(Which is primarily what ios is) and a widget screen(s). I think if people want widgets then they should use android. If people want simplicity, fluidity, and function then use iOS or WP8.

adildacoolset
Jun 20, 2013, 04:53 PM

I believe that there is choice. People who want them in the home screen always have android open for them. People who don't want them there have iOS open for them.

The reason I don't want them in the first place is because when I look at an android device, there are a few apps, and a useless clock widget. Then all the apps are in a separate menu. I don't like to have apps in another menu. I think that the home screen should be there to open apps, and apps should define the experience.

Night Spring
Jun 20, 2013, 05:02 PM
Ah, lucky guy. I only have an iPhone 5 so I don't want to screw myself over.

Oh, believe me, I would never have done it if I only had one iPhone! As it is, we never do anything with our old devices when we upgrade, so they are lying around, and are perfect when I want to test out a new jailbreak or a new beta. :p

As for widgets, I don't like how mixing up widgets and icons on the same screen make things look cluttered, but I do like live icons, such as the calendar and now the clock. One of my favorite JB tweaks is live weather icon, which puts the current temperature on the weather icon.

I can see the point of people who say "If you don't like widgets, just don't use them." But the problem, I think, is that when widgets are built into an OS, the devices will ship with a few widgets enabled as the default, because the manufacturer will want to show them off. Then those of us who don't like widgets have to spend the first few moments with a new device turning them off. A minor annoyance, to be sure, but I think that's where the "I hate widgets" hostility is coming from.

cynics
Jun 20, 2013, 05:09 PM
I believe that there is choice. People who want them in the home screen always have android open for them. People who don't want them there have iOS open for them.

The reason I don't want them in the first place is because when I look at an android device, there are a few apps, and a useless clock widget. Then all the apps are in a separate menu. I don't like to have apps in another menu. I think that the home screen should be there to open apps, and apps should define the experience.

While true, I believe there is more to choice then that. You can make an Android phone look identical to an iPhone if you please right down to the icons themselves.

Then the choice part kicks in. Hmm why only have 4 apps in the bottom tray thing when you can have 5. Or why line my icons up starting from the top down when its more ergonomic to start at the bottom? Etc.

Stop reading now, this might get lengthy.

Here's what I think it is and maybe some people don't like to admit it, maybe I'm alone on this.

I use an iPhone currently because I do not want choice. I want it to work one way and that's it. I would customize my Android devices to no end. Widgets, themes, launchers etc never mind rooting and romming!

I actually prefer being limited on my phone and not have to bother with a lot of that stuff. Even though I know I COULD just leave it alone. My brain won't let me, I'm constantly tinkering.

This is why I'll argue for Android or Windows from time to time. I feel they can "do more" but its not what I want. I want Apple to decide and I'll hopefully like their choices.

fiveainone
Jun 20, 2013, 05:17 PM
You're overhyped.

Winner.

Kohkane
Jun 20, 2013, 06:17 PM
Thats opinion right? Because if thats a fact, please show me your sources.

----------

The same **** was said last year about maps... "Its still in Beta, wait until the final release before you bash it."

Well.... We know what happened there.

I do certainly expect the OS as a whole to get better and I'm really hoping they add "Search the Web" back into the spotlight search, but I'm not holding out for it to be a totally different product than what I'm currently running.

I guess my source would be four years of being in mobile sales. I have not met one customer who based their decisions on widgets. Most of the time its "oh that's cool." and when phones come in for repairs they 80% of the time don't have a single widget on it.