PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 and autocorrect

DDustiNN
Jun 19, 2013, 04:53 PM
Has anyone had any issues with the autocorrect? Mine keeps doing some really weird things. Like adding extra spaces every now and then, and most annoyingly, autocorrecting the previous [and already correct] word.

For example, earlier I was typing "this is unacceptable". I typed "this", then "is", and both were displayed perfectly fine. Then while typing "unacceptable", it only showed me an autocorrect suggestion of "of acceptable", thinking for some reason that "is" was the incorrect word and completely overwriting it. No... I don't want to change that word, as it was already correct!

Has anyone else run into this? It's been happening quite frequently over the past few days. Just wondering if I should report it as a bug.

dannyo92
Jun 19, 2013, 05:15 PM
Both of the things you mentioned have happened to me. I didn't really think about it at the time but I think you're right that it's a bug. I've haven't had either happen to me on iOS 6.

rmeadejr
Jun 19, 2013, 05:18 PM
Has anyone had any issues with the autocorrect? Mine keeps doing some really weird things. Like adding extra spaces every now and then, and most annoyingly, autocorrecting the previous [and already correct] word.

For example, earlier I was typing "this is unacceptable". I typed "this", then "is", and both were displayed perfectly fine. Then while typing "unacceptable", it only showed me an autocorrect suggestion of "of acceptable", thinking for some reason that "is" was the incorrect word and completely overwriting it. No... I don't want to change that word, as it was already correct!

Has anyone else run into this? It's been happening quite frequently over the past few days. Just wondering if I should report it as a bug.

happens to me also. i think it is a bug and i have reported it.

tygrubb
Jun 19, 2013, 06:29 PM
Yup, same here.

carelesswhisper
Jun 20, 2013, 06:34 AM
I didn't experience that exact thing, but yesterday my auto correct quit working. It wouldn't attempt to correct anything, including the automatic capitalization of "I" and changing "youre" to "you're". I restarted the phone and that seems to have fixed the problem.

stephen1108
Jun 20, 2013, 09:28 AM
I didn't experience that exact thing, but yesterday my auto correct quit working. It wouldn't attempt to correct anything, including the automatic capitalization of "I" and changing "youre" to "you're". I restarted the phone and that seems to have fixed the problem.

I've had the problems outlined in the first post, and this problem too. The autocorrect feature is still a mess. Hopefully it's corrected in Beta 2 (on Monday *crosses fingers*)

xcodeaddict
Jun 20, 2013, 09:32 AM
Have any of you considered that the American language is just incorrect, and that Jony Ive is one of my fellow Brits, ergo, knows the correct spelling of words?

:D :p

Silvereel
Jun 20, 2013, 10:03 AM
Have any of you considered that the American language is just incorrect, and that Jony Ive is one of my fellow Brits, ergo, knows the correct spelling of words?

No, because 'this is of acceptable' doesn't work in British English either.

GoCubsGo
Jun 20, 2013, 10:10 AM

No, because the corrections auto correct is making doesn't work in "correct" English. There is no language, that I am aware of, where correcting a properly spelled word and replacing it with a misspelled word, is accurate.

Shrink
Jun 20, 2013, 10:20 AM

Have you considered that neither British English nor American English are "correct" nor "incorrect" but, rather, different?

British spelling "aesthetic", and American spelling "esthetic", are correct, each in their own setting.

So you, and your countrymen, spelling the word "aesthetic" would be incorrect in the US, and correct in the UK.

A bit of knowledge of cultural differences is very useful. A few moments study would reveal just oodles of good information.:D

SandboxGeneral
Jun 20, 2013, 10:24 AM

American English is proper for Americans, while British English is proper for the British. As already stated above, it's not right nor wrong - it's different on a cultural level.

Additionally, are you implying that Jony Ive never misspells words?

WordMasterRice
Jun 20, 2013, 10:30 AM
Have you considered that neither British English nor American English are "correct" nor "incorrect" but, rather, different?

British spelling "aesthetic", and American spelling "esthetic", are correct, each in their own setting.

So you, and your countrymen, spelling the word "aesthetic" would be incorrect in the US, and correct in the UK.

A bit of knowledge of cultural differences is very useful. A few moments study would reveal just oodles of good information.:D

That's interesting, I have never ever seen it spelled that way. It has always been aesthetic.

batting1000
Jun 20, 2013, 10:33 AM
I don't think it's a bug. It's corrected previous words for me and each time they've been right.

Shrink
Jun 20, 2013, 10:35 AM

My post above is incorrect!:o

I followed my own advice, and did a bit of study to find my error.

Please substitute "flavour", British spelling, and "flavor", American spelling. Or "colour" and "color".

My apologies for my error with "aesthetic". However, the main point remains...cultural differences.

iBreatheApple
Jun 22, 2013, 09:11 AM
Trying not to be dramatic but auto-correct is destroying my life. In addition to the simple fact that it's a beta, I think they've implemented a new system. I do not like it - at all.

emseven
Sep 30, 2013, 01:12 AM
This is happening and frequently. Seems when composing tweets in Twitterrific it is especially aggressive.

It will autocorrect but then add a space then the last few characters of the corrected word.

Di4mondz
Sep 30, 2013, 01:22 AM
Yeah this happened to me today.. Kk became to lol.. Just wtf?

Orlaam
Sep 30, 2013, 06:10 AM
Autocorrect doesn't work very well at all now. It's hit or miss. Some words are fixed whereas others are made worse!

Don't get me started on typing in certain web pages. The phone can't even keep up sometimes! Never had that before. :-/