Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleweek

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2002
Hello,
I recently bought a Coby DVD-227 mid-size DVD player to replace another DVD player I had on loan from a friend. The previous DVD player was a Memorex brand. I have a large collection of music video most of which are MPEG-1 Muxed files and the remainder are DivX (with MP3 or AC3 audio). I burnt some MPEG and DivX videos onto a CD-R using Finder (10.4) and as expected, the Memorex found all the MPEG files and played them fine (wasn't expecting DivX's to play). When I put this same ISO9660/Joliet CD-R into the Coby DVD player, it gave me a "Wrong Disc" error. I investigated and the "Wrong Disc" error mesg means the DVD player can't find any playable files on the medium. I then tried a number of re-burns to get the Coby to play video files, including renaming all the file extensions to .MPG, .MPEG, and .DAT (to see if it was picky about that). I also put in every CD I could find that had MPEG or other video files, but none would be recognized as playable. Finally I burned a new CD-R with a variety of MP3's, JPEGs and every MPEG I could find, and the MP3's played fine plus I got a great slideshow with fade effects of the JPEG images, but still the MPEG files were not recognized as playable. Since DVD-Video is essentially MPEG-2, I expected all DVD players to be backward compatible to MPEG-1 (ala VideoCD). Any ideas how I can get my music video collection (MPEG and DivX) into any format playable by a Coby DVD player? I don't mind the wait time necessary to transcode them into whatever codecs/format needed. But can it be done?

Thanks in advance.

appleweek

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2002
Someone in another forum recomended trying to put the MPEG files on a UDF formatted disc to see if it will think its a DVD. Could that help?

Can a CD-R be UDF formatted or only DVD's?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
appleweek said:
Hello,
I recently bought a Coby DVD-227 mid-size DVD player to replace another DVD player I had on loan from a friend. The previous DVD player was a Memorex brand. I have a large collection of music video most of which are MPEG-1 Muxed files and the remainder are DivX (with MP3 or AC3 audio). I burnt some MPEG and DivX videos onto a CD-R using Finder (10.4) and as expected, the Memorex found all the MPEG files and played them fine (wasn't expecting DivX's to play). When I put this same ISO9660/Joliet CD-R into the Coby DVD player, it gave me a "Wrong Disc" error. I investigated and the "Wrong Disc" error mesg means the DVD player can't find any playable files on the medium. I then tried a number of re-burns to get the Coby to play video files, including renaming all the file extensions to .MPG, .MPEG, and .DAT (to see if it was picky about that). I also put in every CD I could find that had MPEG or other video files, but none would be recognized as playable. Finally I burned a new CD-R with a variety of MP3's, JPEGs and every MPEG I could find, and the MP3's played fine plus I got a great slideshow with fade effects of the JPEG images, but still the MPEG files were not recognized as playable. Since DVD-Video is essentially MPEG-2, I expected all DVD players to be backward compatible to MPEG-1 (ala VideoCD). Any ideas how I can get my music video collection (MPEG and DivX) into any format playable by a Coby DVD player? I don't mind the wait time necessary to transcode them into whatever codecs/format needed. But can it be done?

Thanks in advance.
You are trying to play files from data disks on your DVD player. You should expect this to work only if the DVD manufacturer explicitly states that it will work. The only thing that you should expect to play on a DVD player is a video disk. Everything else is an additional feature.

If you want to burn DVDs, use iDVD for that purpose. If you have the proper QuickTime codecs installed, the free combination of iMovie and iDVD will allow you to assemble and burn video DVDs using material that you acquired in a number of formats.

appleweek

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2002
Tru, the Coby DVD Player didn't explicitely state it supported playing MPEG files. However, I tried playing my MP3/JPEG/MPEG test CDR in a few other brand DVD players besides Coby and Memorex and all recognized and played all 3 media types (music, images, and video) sucessfully. I had assumed the Coby would as well, but it looks it wont be as easy to accomplish. I don't have access to iDVD, and quite frankly it would not be supported on my G3. How else can i convert or transcode my files to a format acceptable by this DVD player?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.