PDA

View Full Version : [iPhone] Just received a MOTA iPhone 5 battery case but iPhone won't charge.

tcandaman
Jun 19, 2013, 07:47 PM
Hi guys,

I've been running iOS 7 with only a few bugs so far. I received a MOTA iPhone 5 battery case today and it charged up fine, but when I try to charge the phone from the external battery it shows it's charging for about 20 seconds then stops. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you think it's a battery case issue or an iOS 7 bug? Are any other external cases having this issue? Thanks!

mrapplegate
Jun 19, 2013, 08:00 PM
Hi guys,

I've been running iOS 7 with only a few bugs so far. I received a MOTA iPhone 5 battery case today and it charged up fine, but when I try to charge the phone from the external battery it shows it's charging for about 20 seconds then stops. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you think it's a battery case issue or an iOS 7 bug? Are any other external cases having this issue? Thanks!

No way to tell. It could be an iOS 7 bug, there was another post and the OP said a battery case did not work. I would say it's an iOS 7 bug. Report it.

tcandaman
Jun 20, 2013, 09:35 AM
Thank you, I reported it. I found if I unplug then replug back in to the case it works fine. I think once it starts charging then I turn it off and try to charge again later it won't do it unless I replug it in. No biggie!

Vertigo50
Jun 20, 2013, 10:16 AM
Lots of people are having trouble with third-party cables, so this sounds like it might be a related issue. I'm really hoping this is a bug and not Apple intentionally crippling third-party "uncertified" devices.

JOSE891
Jun 22, 2013, 10:27 PM
Hi guys,

My iPhone 5 used to be able to charge with a usb charger that I have hooked up to my ATV, worked fine on iOS 6, and any other phone. But I upgraded to iOS 7 and know it doesn't charge for nothing. Tried the OEM cable that came in the box, and another 3rd party charger.

dd0723
Sep 11, 2013, 08:21 PM
Hi guys,

I just came across the same issue today. When I slide the iPhone 5 in my external battery case, the phone charges for about 20 seconds and then stops charging with a message saying that the accessory has not been approved by able and might not work. This is not acceptable for me as i use the phone a lot and recharge it at least twice a day.

BasicGreatGuy
Sep 11, 2013, 10:18 PM
I just came across the same issue today. When I slide the iPhone 5 in my external battery case, the phone charges for about 20 seconds and then stops charging with a message saying that the accessory has not been approved by able and might not work. This is not acceptable for me as i use the phone a lot and recharge it at least twice a day.

It might be inconvenient for you right now, but such a warning about an unapproved accessory could potentially keep you and your phone from harm, should you take heed.

ethan028
Sep 11, 2013, 10:20 PM
Sounds like a bug with iOS 7 or the case. iOS 7 usually informs you if the battery case or the cable isn't certified.

espresso
Nov 24, 2013, 01:58 PM
Looks like Mota does not support IOS7 IMO. Because same deal. As soon as I upgraded to IOS7, same exact issue that you described. Prior it was working great. I just bought my Mota MOTA Extended Battery Case iPhone 5 / 5S (MFi) earlier this year.

If this is how Mota Operates and they do not do something about fixing this for their cusotmers then this is not a good company to buy from.

So now I have a useless $100 paper weight. Sending a customer support email but I bet you they do nothing about somehow replacing this for me with one that is certified for IOS7. Or that they get with Apple and have Apple fix this in their next IOS7 update but there has already been 2 IOS7 updates for bug fixes and obviously that did not include one for Mota.

ignore @BasicGreatGuy, are you kidding? lol.

hamiltonDSi
Nov 24, 2013, 02:12 PM
ignore @BasicGreatGuy, are you kidding? lol.

He is not kidding ; a person died using a non certified cable.
She was electrocuted while using the phone, I believe she was calling someone when the phone was charging.

PNutts
Nov 24, 2013, 06:24 PM
He is not kidding ; a person died using a non certified cable.
She was electrocuted while using the phone, I believe she was calling someone when the phone was charging.

If you're talking about what I think you are it was a suspected third-party charger (I had to go look). :) There's really good write-ups of why Apple's chargers are safe (http://www.righto.com/2012/05/apple-iphone-charger-teardown-quality.html)and third-party chargers are not (http://www.righto.com/2012/03/inside-cheap-phone-charger-and-why-you.html). Both have 340 volts DC in them and third-party charger manufacturers cut corners that result in a better chance of you coming into contact with that high voltage.