PDA

View Full Version : Have I always been able to do this?

arbogast777
Jun 19, 2013, 10:10 PM
I'm sure I'm going to be proven to be an idiot in fast order but I have an external HD hooked up to my MacBook Air where I have all my iTunes movies, and in order to access them through the Apple TV I've always have had to open the lid on the Air... or so I thought... because since I've installed the new software those movies are playing just fine with the lid closed. Has this always been how's its been?

pagansoul
Jun 20, 2013, 06:39 AM
I've seen pictures of people accessing their airs/notebooks with their lids closed all the time when they have them hooked up to external monitors so I would think having the lid open all the time was something you just did. Maybe you have to tell it not to go to sleep or something like that.

dugbug
Jun 20, 2013, 09:45 AM
Unfortunately an external monitor and home sharing are not the same thing to the power management options.

You can do a few things in settings: when hooked up to AC power disable going to sleep. Im not sure if the wake on ethernet thing will work since home sharing may not be instigated from the apple tv (i.e. it may require a computer say 'im here').

If you find a low power way to keep your air available as an itunes server let me know. Id also like to know about how to do this on the PC too as I have a windows NAS that I shove all my itunes libraries on.