PDA

View Full Version : HBOGo Quality

theBigD23
Jun 20, 2013, 12:28 AM
I have been using HBOGo with Xbox 360 and today I just tried it on Apple TV. The quality is noticeable worse to me and my wife. The Xbox version just looks so much better.

Has anyone else noticed this?

IPadNParadise
Jun 21, 2013, 05:27 AM
I have been using HBOGo with Xbox 360 and today I just tried it on Apple TV. The quality is noticeable worse to me and my wife. The Xbox version just looks so much better.

Oh, I did, I posted a question on here asking if I need a high speed hdmi cable vs the regular hdmi I have in use now. I don't have an Xbox but have been watching HBO on directv satellite box and this HBOGO on my ATV is not as good a quality.

Asclepio
Jun 22, 2013, 08:47 AM
in apple tv the majority of streaming services are worse than one of the others brands. apple never been good in streaming content.

Droidrage729
Jun 22, 2013, 08:49 AM
I watched a few episodes of the wire looked hd quality as on my roku 3. Not having the same issue at all.

mic j
Jun 22, 2013, 09:10 AM
in apple tv the majority of streaming services are worse than one of the others brands. apple never been good in streaming content.
I think that is just...well...bunk!

GarrettL1979
Jun 22, 2013, 01:18 PM
I think that is just...well...bunk!

Yeah, he or she is pretty much just wrong.

DaPhatty
Jun 22, 2013, 02:09 PM
I can only compare the HBOGo Web Interface to the AppleTV. That said, I do not see a difference in quality unless my internet connection is having issues.

Droidrage729
Jun 22, 2013, 03:33 PM
Just watched all of the dark knight rises in hd no problem. Must be a connectivity issue?

andymodem
Jun 22, 2013, 04:02 PM
I've been watching Sopranos today and it was very sharp and clear the whole time. Hooked up via wifi and 75/35 Verizon FiOS.

takeshi74
Jun 22, 2013, 09:15 PM
I have been using HBOGo with Xbox 360 and today I just tried it on Apple TV. The quality is noticeable worse to me and my wife.
Wired or WiFi? If it's WiFi what sort of throughput are you getting? I don't have a 360 to compare with but no complaints regarding HBOGo image quality.

darster
Jun 22, 2013, 09:44 PM

What ATV model do you have. 720p or 1080p?

spacepower7
Jun 22, 2013, 11:33 PM

I prefer the AppleTv for Netflix over my high end Roku box (highest model before the Roku 3).

I can't scientifically prove one is better than the other, but neither can you ;)

Facts VS Opinions. Neither of us has facts.

theBigD23
Jun 23, 2013, 12:39 PM
What ATV model do you have. 720p or 1080p?

I have the 1080P version.

----------

Just watched all of the dark knight rises in hd no problem. Must be a connectivity issue?

It is WiFi, but my connection is very strong. The 360 is on WiFi and I get full HD, 5.1 (HBOGo on 360 shows connection strength and if the sound is in 5.1 or not) and it's always strong.

Wired or WiFi? If it's WiFi what sort of throughput are you getting? I don't have a 360 to compare with but no complaints regarding HBOGo image quality.

Throughput is strong. The quality is not bad at all, just not as good as the 360. If it were bad in general, my guess would be that complaints would be coming, but not everyone compares it to a 360.

zachlegomaniac
Jun 23, 2013, 01:09 PM
The Trailers app only streams sometimes for me (sometimes one trailer will play all the way through in HD, and other times I can barely get through a full trailer as it buffers forever). HBOGo sometimes slips into SD from HD as does MLBTV. Airplay from iMac has been so/so. Netflix and Hulu Plus work seamlessly, however. I have a blazing fast internet speed, and have tried the ATV3 hardwired as well as wi-fi. I love my ATV3 (and 2), but wish it worked better for me across all the apps that Apple makes available to us.

ZLM

iapplelove
Jun 23, 2013, 05:05 PM
Have yet to notice a quality issue using my Apple TV and I'm a bit picky

smithrh
Jun 23, 2013, 08:43 PM
I have 55 mbps down 15 mbps up cable internet (Comcast) and I've seen some issues here and there with the PQ changing to a pretty bad state, but then recovering after a minute or so.

I also see this when using HBOGO on my MBP, so it's not really a ATV issue.

Overall, pretty happy with the PQ - but not thrilled.

CocoaPuffs
Jun 24, 2013, 01:39 AM
Has anyone tried comparing AirPlay quality vs native streaming of ATV?

GarrettL1979
Jun 24, 2013, 10:16 AM
Looks great, but every once in a while it stalls, and I get the spinning wheel. Why would this be?

moogleii
Jun 24, 2013, 10:52 AM
It is WiFi, but my connection is very strong. The 360 is on WiFi and I get full HD, 5.1 (HBOGo on 360 shows connection strength and if the sound is in 5.1 or not) and it's always strong.

Throughput is strong. The quality is not bad at all, just not as good as the 360. If it were bad in general, my guess would be that complaints would be coming, but not everyone compares it to a 360.

Hook it up to ethernet and see what, if anything, happens.