Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
hey guys, i just wanted to know if OSX Mavericks will support ExFAT or not. i'm about to change all of my hard drives to ExFAT from NTFS and i wanted to know if Mavericks will support ExFAT or not?

i used google but nothing came up...

thanks!

hakuryuu

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Lomita, CA
So.. why? ExFAT really isn't designed for normal disks and is optimized for flash drives (i.e. SDHC). I assume this is for drive sharing between Windows and OSX but honestly NTFS is way more robust than ExFAT.

ExFAT was already supported in ML so I have no reason to believe it won't be supported in Mavericks. Don't have an external drive handy to see what disk utility can do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

Also, according to this post:

http://prateekvjoshi.wordpress.com/2013/04/21/ntfs-write-support-on-os-x-mountain-lion/

ML had "hidden" support for writing to NTFS anyways. I have not tried this as I don't have an external drive that I am about to format NTFS. I may however try to find a drive at work and see if 10.9 has better support for NTFS. I'm a little curious now.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
hey guys, i just wanted to know if OSX Mavericks will support ExFAT or not. i'm about to change all of my hard drives to ExFAT from NTFS and i wanted to know if Mavericks will support ExFAT or not?

i used google but nothing came up...

thanks!

Disk Utility has the option to format as exFAT in Mavericks.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
I don't believe it can be installed on exFAT but it can read and write to exFAT just fine. I use a 250gb hard drive as an iTunes/Steam/Documents share between Win8 and Mavericks.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
So.. why? ExFAT really isn't designed for normal disks and is optimized for flash drives (i.e. SDHC). I assume this is for drive sharing between Windows and OSX but honestly NTFS is way more robust than ExFAT.

ExFAT was already supported in ML so I have no reason to believe it won't be supported in Mavericks. Don't have an external drive handy to see what disk utility can do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

Also, according to this post:

http://prateekvjoshi.wordpress.com/2013/04/21/ntfs-write-support-on-os-x-mountain-lion/

ML had "hidden" support for writing to NTFS anyways. I have not tried this as I don't have an external drive that I am about to format NTFS. I may however try to find a drive at work and see if 10.9 has better support for NTFS. I'm a little curious now.

well yeah i just want to use ExFAT for external drives and wipe my current NTFS drives.

----------

exFAT has been supported in OS X since Snow Leopard...

i know, but i thought they might drop support for it.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
well yeah i just want to use ExFAT for external drives and wipe my current NTFS drives. ...
Like hakuryuu, I am confused why you want to sacrifice the proven reliability of NTFS in favor of exFAT. exFAT is not going to be any more reliable just because you use it on an external drive.

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Like hakuryuu, I am confused why you want to sacrifice the proven reliability of NTFS in favor of exFAT. exFAT is not going to be any more reliable just because you use it on an external drive.
Maybe because you can't write to NTFS in Mac?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
exFAT has been around long enough that I'm sure we would've heard of any reliability issues with it.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
How on Earth is that relevant?

Because a reasonable interpretation of the post you replied to would be "Write without requiring third-party solutions" rather than "There is no way a Mac ever could write NTFS". Hence the clarification.

Additionally, MikhailT makes a relevant point.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Because a reasonable interpretation of the post you replied to would be "Write without requiring third-party solutions" rather than "There is no way a Mac ever could write NTFS". ...
No, that is not a reasonable interpretation. By the same logic that outie2k asserted that Macs can't write NTFS, he can also assert that Macs cannot read Photoshop files.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
No, that is not a reasonable interpretation. By the same logic that outie2k asserted that Macs can't write NTFS, he can also assert that Macs cannot read Photoshop files.

Since the question starting this thread was whether or not Mavericks will support ExFat, it is very easy to assume that we are talking about what Mavericks (or at least OSX) supports. I therefore pointed out that third-party software was required for NTFS since it would be very easy to get the wrong impression reading the thread, ergo very relevant.

This is obviously going nowhere pretty fast, so I'm leaving this discussion. I mean, your contrived Photoshop-example isn't even making sense (or for that matter clashing with my reasonable interpretation if it did), so... :p

Feel free to reply and have the last word, I'm unsubscribing.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
exFAT has been around long enough that I'm sure we would've heard of any reliability issues with it.

There are lots of reliability issues, especially when shared with other devices like cameras. It really is intended for memory cards and so on, not entire disks.

DarkRyoushii

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
TO ANSWER THE THREAD QUESTION.

I use exFAT daily on all USB drives and external USBs I own. No issues at all running Mavericks DP1 and since there is little to no reason to depreciate support, I am going to take a calculated guess and say this will not be removed for a long while - think 5 to 10 years minimum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.