Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I am contemplating buying an iPad mini (I already have a MBA) and am looking at keyboards to accompany it as I need to write a lot.

A colleague recently showed me (and highly recommended) his Logitech keyboard for the iPad mini, which had a reassuringly solid feel to it.

Cost is not really an issue, but I want something solid, well-build, easy to use and utterly reliable. As always, I am very grateful for any advise and would like to thank anyone who takes the time and trouble to post an answer.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks a lot for your comments and for taking the time and trouble to post.

Actually, the zagg also looks pretty solid, and seems to score quite highly on online reviews. A small keyboard is not really a problem, as my hands are quite small, too.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I don't have any personal experience with it, but after looking around Amazon and reading some reviews, it looks as if this case or this case would be your best bet! :)

Again, I thank you for having taken the time and trouble to post a response, and to post some links along with that. Much appreciated.

In the end, though, I decided to go with the Logitech ultra-thin keyboard for the iPad mini, and am looking forward to receiving it.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
Again, I thank you for having taken the time and trouble to post a response, and to post some links along with that. Much appreciated.

In the end, though, I decided to go with the Logitech ultra-thin keyboard for the iPad mini, and am looking forward to receiving it.

If I am in the market for a keyboard I will go with Logitech too. I was at bestbuy the other day and got the chance to see the Logitech mini keyboard and I could say that it looks nice and the quality is topnotch.

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Keyboards for the iPad mini

There are more and more options, for some reason, accessory makers were slow in releasing small keyboards for the mini. The ones I am most famlar with are called keyboard covers which leave the back side of the mini exposed. I currently use the MiniSuit chrome in silver. I have a clear matte back skin on the the back of the mini with a Body Guartz Pure glass screen protector.

There seems to be several types of keyboard covers. Mine uses a pressure clip lined in a soft felt like fabric that the mini slips into. It hinges on the long edge and opens up like a laptop. Zagg is proported to be releasing their version of this with a backlit option as well as a thin folio version. They are clearing out their current models as they seemed to have met with mixed reviews.

The other type are ones that have a magnetic hinge that attaches like the Smart Cover. You remove the iPad and stick it into a groove or as some others have referred to as a trench. The keys are actually located on the lower half of the keyboard. Logitech and now Belkin have come out with versions like this.

Another type that came out shortly after the mini's release were similar to the Smart Cover types mentioned above, but clamp down the mini like a snap cover. I ordered and returned a couple of these because they had weird keyboard layouts and one of them almost scratched the bezel on the iPad.

There are tons of folio type keyboards which have been reviewed.

If you have a difficult time with small keyboards, you might want to try the Apple wireless keyboard. Several of the accessory manufacturers make nice full sized wireless Bluetooth keyboards that work as well, but in that case, you would be carrying a separate accessory.

All of these smaller keyboards are probably prototyped after the old netbook keyboards which are cramped compared to full sized keyboards. For me it was finding the most optimal.

Right now I have the Minisuit Chrome which is far less expensive than mainstream accessory makers of the likes of Zagg, Belkin and Logitech. For me, cost is not an issue, by functionality and build quality is. I was considering the Belkin FastFit, but it is being criticized for a weird layout. The ZaggKey Cover has just been released, so I may order that one.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Use the MacBook Air. Much better choice in my opinion.

I already have a MBA, and expect that I shall always have one. It is my main work computer and I use it daily to write quite a lot, as my job involves writing many reports. The iPad is not envisaged as a replacement for the MBA, which lives on various desks, but as a supplementary machine, to accompany me when I'm not using the MBA, but need to take a few rapid notes, or check something. Besides, the version I have ordered includes the wifi and cellular capabilities, as I expect I shall have need of these particular options.

There are more and more options, for some reason, accessory makers were slow in releasing small keyboards for the mini. The ones I am most famlar with are called keyboard covers which leave the back side of the mini exposed. I currently use the MiniSuit chrome in silver. I have a clear matte back skin on the the back of the mini with a Body Guartz Pure glass screen protector.

There seems to be several types of keyboard covers. Mine uses a pressure clip lined in a soft felt like fabric that the mini slips into. It hinges on the long edge and opens up like a laptop. Zagg is proported to be releasing their version of this with a backlit option as well as a thin folio version. They are clearing out their current models as they seemed to have met with mixed reviews.

The other type are ones that have a magnetic hinge that attaches like the Smart Cover. You remove the iPad and stick it into a groove or as some others have referred to as a trench. The keys are actually located on the lower half of the keyboard. Logitech and now Belkin have come out with versions like this.

Another type that came out shortly after the mini's release were similar to the Smart Cover types mentioned above, but clamp down the mini like a snap cover. I ordered and returned a couple of these because they had weird keyboard layouts and one of them almost scratched the bezel on the iPad.

There are tons of folio type keyboards which have been reviewed.

If you have a difficult time with small keyboards, you might want to try the Apple wireless keyboard. Several of the accessory manufacturers make nice full sized wireless Bluetooth keyboards that work as well, but in that case, you would be carrying a separate accessory.

All of these smaller keyboards are probably prototyped after the old netbook keyboards which are cramped compared to full sized keyboards. For me it was finding the most optimal.

Right now I have the Minisuit Chrome which is far less expensive than mainstream accessory makers of the likes of Zagg, Belkin and Logitech. For me, cost is not an issue, by functionality and build quality is. I was considering the Belkin FastFit, but it is being criticized for a weird layout. The ZaggKey Cover has just been released, so I may order that one.

Good luck!

What a beautifully written, detailed and thoughtful post; thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to put this on the record. It is much appreciated (by me, at any rate).

Even though I have gone with the Logitech ultra-thin for now (I like the metallic solidity of the keyboard, along with its ultra thin appearance), it is nice to be made aware of advances in the field; certainly a backlit keyboard sounds extremely interesting......

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I already have a MBA, and expect that I shall always have one. It is my main work computer and I use it daily to write quite a lot, as my job involves writing many reports. The iPad is not envisaged as a replacement for the MBA, which lives on various desks, but as a supplementary machine, to accompany me when I'm not using the MBA, but need to take a few rapid notes, or check something. Besides, the version I have ordered includes the wifi and cellular capabilities, as I expect I shall have need of these particular options.

Ahhh fair enough. I meant to use the MBA keyboard to type on the iPad but you're right, you're not gonna bring them both everywhere.

alanrocks

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2011
United Kingdom
I am contemplating buying an iPad mini (I already have a MBA) and am looking at keyboards to accompany it as I need to write a lot.

A colleague recently showed me (and highly recommended) his Logitech keyboard for the iPad mini, which had a reassuringly solid feel to it.

Cost is not really an issue, but I want something solid, well-build, easy to use and utterly reliable. As always, I am very grateful for any advise and would like to thank anyone who takes the time and trouble to post an answer.

If cost is not really an issue then definitely go for the Apple Wireless Keyboard! It fits all the criteria you are looking for, strong frame, lightweight and easy to carry as well as being an apple product. It is also the best looking keyboard on the market in my opinion!
Hope this post helps,
Alan.

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
I had a logitech ultrathin mini keyboard case for mine, and honestly it's just way too small to write without error. I then bought a smart cover, to give it the slight tilt, and a logitech k760, which uses light to recharge. Since then I switched from the mini to an iPad 4 and still prefer the smart cover and separate keyboard. This way my iPad is still just a tablet.

I was going to get an Apple keyboard but no batteries is always a plus.

BerlingerT

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Amelia, Ohio
I use the Logitech Ultra Thin Mini, and I love it. I don't know if it's just with my hands, but I've never had issues with it. Every once in awhile, I accidentally enable Caps Lock, but overall, I love it to death.

It especially gives my tablet that professional look when I use it at my job to log calls and type up reference guides.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013

Buffalo makes a good folding keyboard.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
I must say I'm pretty interested in this keyboard:

LINK

It looks awesome and Zagg makes some pretty nice keyboards...

folio-hero-main-black.jpg

a042349

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
I must say I'm pretty interested in this keyboard:

LINK

It looks awesome and Zagg makes some pretty nice keyboards...

I just received one of these today and am typing on it now. It's a beautifully built keyboard and seems to work great. The hinge allows a full range of laptop like movement, yet the iPad pops out easily. I'm not much of a touch typist but my wife is and could use it pretty well. Great backlight options, non-fn number AND iPad controls (siri, home, volume, etc) make are great.

It's pricey, but it looks very good so far.

BTW I'm jailbroken and with BTC Keyboard/Trackpad I also have a full function BT mouse running with the keyboard. Full scroll wheel support, home with right mouse button, etc. It's a great mini-laptop/convertible in this setup.

BerlingerT

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Amelia, Ohio
I would also recommend the Logitech Ultrathin Mini Keyboard. It is pricey, but it is a great quality keyboard. One of the only I've seen for the Mini that has a full QUERTY keyboard. I had another keyboard before and I hated the ' and " were FN Shortcuts. It made typing so awkward at times. The Logitech Ultrathin Mini uses Caps Lock and Tab as shortcuts, but that is much less inconvenient than having conjunction punctuation as shortcuts.

I highly recommend it. It looks very professional (Most people can't even tell that I'm using a tablet. They even call it a laptop when it is sitting in portrait view) and is very good quality.

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Is there a hack or something that can be done to use the large ipad Logitech keyboard for the Mini as well?

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Now considering the Zagg iPad Mini Folio

Hi,

I have used the Logitech UltraThin BT iPad Mini keyboard. IMO, it is a good keyboard, but has two "limitations": 1) It only allows ONE FIXED angle to view the Ipad Mini,because of its mode of placing the mini-tablet into the keyboard. 2) This keyboard/case does not cover the back of the iPad, so the iPad-back is exposed naked when travelling.

Both these two "shortcomings" of the Logitech are eliminated by the new Zagg Folio for the iPad Mini. It allows to change the tilting of the iPad Mini when placed on the keyboard, and it also covers the back of the Ipad Mini when it's closed and being carried in for example a purse or bag. In my experience the Zagg keyboards are as good to write on as such a small area can be; the reviews I have read seem to confirm this.

The weights of the two are different, though: The Zagg is about 320 g, and the Logitech is about 220 g.

Further, the Zagg offers backlighted keys (7 colors).

Last edited:

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Full sized iPad keyboard

Is there a hack or something that can be done to use the large ipad Logitech keyboard for the Mini as well?

It will pair up just like any Bluetooth accessory. It just does not close up nicely together due the differences in size. I used my Zagg Pro plus for the full sized iPad until I found the keyboard that works for me at the moment. The mini will even fit into the slot, but it tilts back at a lower angle since the groove is designed to fit the the full sized iPad.

I am waiting for my order from Zagg for the smaller backlit keyboard cover.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hi,

I have used the Logitech UltraThin BT iPad Mini keyboard. IMO, it is a good keyboard, but has two "limitations": 1) It only allows ONE FIXED angle to view the Ipad Mini,because of its mode of placing the mini-tablet into the keyboard. 2) This keyboard/case does not cover the back of the iPad, so the iPad-back is exposed naked when travelling.

Both these two "shortcomings" of the Logitech are eliminated by the new Zagg Folio for the iPad Mini. It allows to change the tilting of the iPad Mini when placed on the keyboard, and it also covers the back of the Ipad Mini when it's closed and being carried in for example a purse or bag. In my experience the Zagg keyboards are as good to write on as such a small area can be; the reviews I have read seem to confirm this.

The weights of the two are different, though: The Zagg is about 320 g, and the Logitech is about 220 g.

Further, the Zagg offers backlighted keys (7 colors).

Thanks for posting this; the Zagg does look lovely (and I am impressed by the idea of the backlit keyboard feature - it is one of the things I love on my MBA) - but, for now, I am perfectly happy with my Logitech UltraThin iPad Mini keyboard.

One thing that you mentioned, however, prompted me to reply, and it is this: I don't use the Logitech keyboard as a 'cover' for the iPad - although, when closed, they match up perfectly. Instead, I bought a BookBook leather cover, designed for the iPad mini - they are really very attractive - and that is what I use for the iPad mini. Both the mini and its keyboard live very happily in the exquisite BookBook leather cover, which protects them both nicely.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Thanks for sharing info

Thanks for posting this; the Zagg does look lovely (and I am impressed by the idea of the backlit keyboard feature - it is one of the things I love on my MBA) - but, for now, I am perfectly happy with my Logitech UltraThin iPad Mini keyboard.

One thing that you mentioned, however, prompted me to reply, and it is this: I don't use the Logitech keyboard as a 'cover' for the iPad - although, when closed, they match up perfectly. Instead, I bought a BookBook leather cover, designed for the iPad mini - they are really very attractive - and that is what I use for the iPad mini. Both the mini and its keyboard live very happily in the exquisite BookBook leather cover, which protects them both nicely.

I have in fact been looking a bit for a leather cover for the iPad mini which also has room for the Logitech (or Zagg) keyboard. I will certainly take a closer look at BookBook leather cover!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.