PDA

View Full Version : I still have old voice on iOS 7 Siri?

FreeStyLeMaSTeR
Jun 20, 2013, 08:55 AM
I tried turning off Siri and back on but I still have old robotic voice of Siri. Is there anything I can do to enable new voice of it?

aDRock1154
Jun 20, 2013, 09:01 AM
This option isn't available in the current build (beta 1)

FreeStyLeMaSTeR
Jun 20, 2013, 09:05 AM
Oh Ok. Thank you for the info.

Cloverof4
Jun 20, 2013, 10:02 AM
This option isn't available in the current build (beta 1)

Do you know when they'll be changing that?

SuperPolli
Jun 20, 2013, 10:14 AM
Use common sense. We're in Beta 1 right now. It obviously wasn't ready. Same goes for Voice Memos, full Twitter and Facebook integration (ie. Notification Center posting ability). Beta 1 is obviously not the final version. Siri's new voices may not even come in Beta 2. We may not see those new voices leave alpha testing for months.

reeve
Jun 20, 2013, 10:51 AM
You CAN select new voices for Siri. I've been using the English accented Siri for a few days now. Go to settings and change it there.

batting1000
Jun 20, 2013, 10:53 AM
You CAN select new voices for Siri. I've been using the English accented Siri for a few days now. Go to settings and change it there.

iOS 7 includes new female and male voices. They are not available in this beta. While you can change the language, the new iOS 7 voices are not in this beta.

aDRock1154
Jun 20, 2013, 10:56 AM
Do you know when they'll be changing that?

Ha, I wish I did ;)

reeve
Jun 20, 2013, 10:59 AM
iOS 7 includes new female and male voices. They are not available in this beta. While you can change the language, the new iOS 7 voices are not in this beta.

Are you sure? The Siri voice I am using on my phone right now is a male voice with an English accent.

aDRock1154
Jun 20, 2013, 11:01 AM
Are you sure? The Siri voice I am using on my phone right now is a male voice with an English accent.

Yes. We're sure.

rmeadejr
Jun 20, 2013, 11:02 AM

from the iOS 7 release notes:

Siri
Known Issues

The new Siri voices are not in this seed.

batting1000
Jun 20, 2013, 11:06 AM

I'm sure. Those aren't new. They've been there since iOS 5 came out with Siri on the 4S. The new voices sound life-like and don't have a robotic tone to them.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SRmjUzcpLO0#t=6125s

reeve
Jun 20, 2013, 11:08 AM
from the iOS 7 release notes:

Siri
Known Issues

The new Siri voices are not in this seed.

I'm confused now. I could have sworn that the option to change the voice of Siri was not available in iOS 6.

----------

I'm sure. Those aren't new. They've been there since iOS 5 came out with Siri on the 4S. The new voices sound life-like and don't have a robotic tone to them.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SRmjUzcpLO0#t=6125s

Ah ok. My apologies. I'm embarrassed I didn't know this until now!

batting1000
Jun 20, 2013, 11:08 AM
I'm confused now. I could have sworn that the option to change the voice of Siri was not available in iOS 6.

----------

:cool:

Sheza
Jun 20, 2013, 11:59 AM
FYI the English accented Siri has been available for a long time.

brendu
Jun 20, 2013, 09:15 PM

I tried that but it doesn't understand some of my contacts... For example if I say "call mom" Siri says there is no contact for mom... There is and it works when on US English...

NewbieCanada
Jun 20, 2013, 09:17 PM

Then you've set it to British English. The original Siri voice in the UK is male.

daviddth
Jun 20, 2013, 09:24 PM
I tried that but it doesn't understand some of my contacts... For example if I say "call mom" Siri says there is no contact for mom... There is and it works when on US English...

Try Mum or Mother.

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 20, 2013, 09:26 PM
FYI the English accented Siri has been available for a long time.

In my opinion, it doesn't sound as good as the female voice. The male voice is over-modulated.

Paddle1
Jun 20, 2013, 10:12 PM
The English Siri voice sounds a bit robotic.

Sheza
Jun 21, 2013, 02:43 AM
In my opinion, it doesn't sound as good as the female voice. The male voice is over-modulated.
That's interesting, because I have the opposite view. The female voice sounds a bit robotic, almost GLaDOS style. The words are bit more all-over-the-place when a sentence is spoken.
Whereas the male, although still robotic, speaks with a more coherent accent.

Andeavor
Jun 21, 2013, 03:52 AM

----------

There have always been four English voices due to the various accents, dialects, words and grammar used between them ('Merican, Brit, Aussie and Canuck). Those voices were always only male or female, but with iOS7 they'll release the opposite gender version... soon

I can't wait for the female UK voice. Let's hope she'll sound like Joanna Lumley. But Liz Hurley will do. Or even Emma Thompson, she'd be a riot when unable to answer a request.

KeanosMagicHat
Jun 21, 2013, 04:56 AM

I agree.

Bizarrely we've not yet had the option of a female Siri in the UK.

brendu
Jun 21, 2013, 09:24 AM
Try Mum or Mother.

Yeah that was my natural thought process but since she is in my phone as mom it doesn't recognize mother and has no idea what's saying when I say mum. no big deal really just a funny observation when I tried using British Siri.

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 21, 2013, 09:26 AM
What we need is a Samuel Jackson (from Pulp Fiction) character voice option in Siri. :cool:

PNutts
Jun 21, 2013, 12:04 PM
Use common sense. We're in Beta 1 right now. It obviously wasn't ready. Same goes for Voice Memos, full Twitter and Facebook integration (ie. Notification Center posting ability). Beta 1 is obviously not the final version. Siri's new voices may not even come in Beta 2. We may not see those new voices leave alpha testing for months.

Not to be rude but common sense doesn't apply to betas. A beta includes what it does and does not include what it doesn't. A feature may be in beta x and not in beta x+1 and then back in beta x+2. That's what the documentation that comes with each beta covers.

SuperPolli
Jun 21, 2013, 02:55 PM
Not to be rude but common sense doesn't apply to betas. A beta includes what it does and does not include what it doesn't. A feature may be in beta x and not in beta x+1 and then back in beta x+2. That's what the documentation that comes with each beta covers.

I understand that common sense shouldn't apply to betas, but I think only after Beta 1 is that true. If a feature is announced, but then is not found in Beta 1, common sense says that it just wasn't ready to go beta at that point. That's just my opinion. Same goes for Twitter integration in Notification Center. I very much doubt that Apple would get rid of such a useful little feature, so the redesigned version just wasn't ready for Beta 1. However I will agree with you that the release notes are very useful for every beta. i.e., if a feature is so buggy in one beta that it may hurt the system, then the company may remove it, fix it, then re-insert the feature in a later beta.

Carlanga
Jun 21, 2013, 03:00 PM

yeah that one has always existed, UK voice was male and US is female..
the other member is talking about the new male/female US voices that are way less robotic.

dcp10
Jun 21, 2013, 03:03 PM
My guess I'd that the improved voices, along with some of the other new Siri features i.e car integration will be part of Siri 2.0 and only available on the new model introduced in the fall.

ajt1995
Jun 21, 2013, 03:08 PM
My guess I'd that the improved voices, along with some of the other new Siri features i.e car integration will be part of Siri 2.0 and only available on the new model introduced in the fall.

No. If that were the case, apple wouldn't have shown it to us.