PDA

View Full Version : buying pb in uk

Gokhan
Nov 6, 2005, 07:10 PM
hi

i am gonna order a new powerbook in the uk but have some concerns with all the supposed problems is it still a good idea to buy as i dont want to deal with apple when i get these problems and to be bumped off with the its ok excuse :mad:

joecool85
Nov 6, 2005, 07:12 PM
I would order it. If you are worried about the current PB, order up a refurb and save some money. I can't vouch for the current ones, but the older revs are all great machines.

Gokhan
Nov 7, 2005, 06:00 AM
yeah the refurbs are close in price to the new when i use my edu discount and egg card discount thats the only bug i have i might just take the risk and buy new

Vanilla
Nov 7, 2005, 07:15 AM
hi

i am gonna order a new powerbook in the uk but have some concerns with all the supposed problems is it still a good idea to buy as i dont want to deal with apple when i get these problems and to be bumped off with the its ok excuse :mad:

I would buy a stock configuration model from the Regent Street Apple Store. They are very friendly and have a 14 day returns policy. I used that policy myself when I returned a recently purchased (from them) 17" iMac because of a really noisy fan and replaced it with a 20" iMac. It was no problem at all, apart from lugging the beast to where my car was parked.

Vanilla

dcv
Nov 7, 2005, 07:25 AM
I would buy a stock configuration model from the Regent Street Apple Store. They are very friendly and have a 14 day returns policy. I used that policy myself when I returned a recently purchased (from them) 17" iMac because of a really noisy fan and replaced it with a 20" iMac. It was no problem at all, apart from lugging the beast to where my car was parked.

Vanilla

Whilst that's good advice (and i did this with my PowerBook rather than ordering online), unfortunately you don't get the Egg 10% cashback deal when buying in-store. If i'd have known about the Egg deal then i probably would have ordered online.

Yeah the only thing to bear in mind, is that there is a returns charge of about 60 if you decide to return an item bought from the online store, whereas there isn't if you buy from Regent St.

Which PB model were you thinking of getting? The 12 inch hasn't changed so it's "safe" to buy that one anyway.

russed
Nov 7, 2005, 08:19 AM
but if there isnt a problem, you wont need to return it. however, as you are in london, if there is a problem just nip down to the apple store and get it repaired for free!

Gokhan
Nov 7, 2005, 05:02 PM
i am going for the stock 15" and i dont want to get it reapired after say 1 month this is something that costs 1400 for **** sake !!

maybe i will go for the 12" its just screen res and graphics which hold me back !!!

Zoowatch
Nov 7, 2005, 06:10 PM
get your Powerbook from an Apple Store in London / Bluewater / Bullring

make sure they do some kind of test for you and pay for it only if you're completely satisfied... don't feel rushed into buying a computer

oh, look out for dead pixels

get a larger powerbook (i.e. 15" or 17")

bigger screen is a great asset, trust me

also... there haven't been any update to the 12" PB line for quite some time...
so the future of PB 12" is rather uncertain....

Gokhan
Nov 7, 2005, 06:51 PM
see i cant buy from store as i dont get egg discount there but i will buy 15" within a week and test it very hard the day i get it and any i mean any problems and i will send it back for a refund no repairs:mad:

glawrie
Nov 8, 2005, 02:53 PM
Our firm now has four of the previous generation 15" powerbooks (1.67 Ghz, most of the optional bits added) which all have been purchased via the online store. Of the four machines, one had to go back and be replaced (wierd keyboard problem prevented you entering any information... so hard to use!) and the other had to have its motherboard replaced (USB sockets all not working). Not a great hit rate (50% failure seems high...) but Apple were very very responsive and fixed / replaced with no problems or funny business. But we've now got a corporate policy to buy the 3 year support package on all new machines, as in both cases these would have been very expensive failures to fix if they happened outside of warranty period.

Now that we have them all working, all have worked extremely well and are very much liked by their users - all of whom used to have WinXP laptops.

We also have a 12" Powerbook (867Mhz) which has been soundly abused for two and half years (including being dropped down a staircase...). Worked very well (but now getting a bit slow...) but last month the superdrive gave up the ghost: getting it fixed would have been $$$$ so we've purchased a firewire DVD burner for much less and it carries on.

So... purchasing online in UK is OK to do. 15" 1.67Ghz machines very good. But be prepared for first one you get not to work - but if it doesn't Apple should be pretty good to fix it up for you.

denial
Nov 8, 2005, 03:11 PM
I would buy from the store as has been suggested (even though you lose out on the "EGG" discount). You could then leave the store with a 100% working machine (they will be happy to power it up for you and let you give it a prod or two).

Gokhan
Nov 9, 2005, 09:06 AM
ok i am using an ibook for now but i am checking refurb pb's as i tr
pe this so u never know ??

Gokhan
Nov 9, 2005, 07:32 PM
well i am gonna pick up a used powerbook g4 17inch superdrive 100gb etc
what do u guys reckon 1000 by the way its not the newest rev but the one before still 1.67ghz though with all the rpoblems with the new screen i am sticking to the old revisions