PDA

View Full Version : Beware: Offers to "Share" Your Cable Account

robbieduncan
Jun 21, 2013, 08:00 AM
Users of this forum please beware of users offering (via PM, posts, email or otherwise) to share your US based Cable TV account/login, either in exchange for cash or even for free. Whilst you are free to enter into such an agreement if you want you need to be aware that the person you "share" with will have access to all your account details and you are almost certainly breaking your contract with your cable provider. If you see posts in the forums asking for this please report them as such posts are against the rules.

unplugme71
Oct 21, 2013, 11:46 AM
Users of this forum please beware of users offering (via PM, posts, email or otherwise) to share your US based Cable TV account/login, either in exchange for cash or even for free. Whilst you are free to enter into such an agreement if you want you need to be aware that the person you "share" with will have access to all your account details and you are almost certainly breaking your contract with your cable provider. If you see posts in the forums asking for this please report them as such posts are against the rules.

I would never. Nothing like seeing your cable bill go up a few hundred dollars because they added additional services.

efpierce
Dec 28, 2013, 10:19 PM
I didn't even know things like this happened! Why would anyone want to link to my cable and how would that benefit them in the first place?

Mr. McMac
Dec 28, 2013, 10:39 PM
Has anyone gotten suckered into giving out their account information? Hey, you want my social security number too?? Sure no problem!

aristobrat
Dec 28, 2013, 10:47 PM
I didn't even know things like this happened! Why would anyone want to link to my cable and how would that benefit them in the first place?
They can use your credentials to login to online streaming services that require you have a cable account, like HBO Go, etc.

efpierce
Dec 29, 2013, 11:03 PM
They can use your credentials to login to online streaming services that require you have a cable account, like HBO Go, etc.

Thank you! Now I get it, I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what they could be doing with my cable tv. :)

Southern Dad
Mar 20, 2014, 12:26 PM
While I'm not a sharing person, so this isn't a danger for me. The only thing I've found that I can do with my username/password is log into a few channel apps on kid's iPads. Is there a way I could get charged from a five-year-old watching Disney, Nick or Cartoon channels?