Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
What would you guys/gals recommend for backup software? I will be using it mainly for pics, music, movies, excel docs, etc..., nothing major. Thanks!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Backup software??

Originally posted by nospleen
What would you guys/gals recommend for backup software? I will be using it mainly for pics, music, movies, excel docs, etc..., nothing major. Thanks!

What about .mac Backup? Easy, and comes with the price of .mac. Only holds a limited amount of data... so maybe not so much for music/movies... but will backup to CD/DVD.

arn

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Re: Re: Backup software??

Originally posted by arn

What about .mac Backup? Easy, and comes with the price of .mac. Only holds a limited amount of data... so maybe not so much for music/movies... but will backup to CD/DVD.

arn

If I chose to backup to CD/DVD am I still limited to the amount of my idisk? Or only by the size of the CD/DVD?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Re: Re: Backup software??

Originally posted by nospleen

If I chose to backup to CD/DVD am I still limited to the amount of my idisk? Or only by the size of the CD/DVD?

You can backup various documents, playlists etc... to your iDisk account which has a limited space...

but if you backup to CD or DVD it is not limited... and can even split over multiple disks from my understanding.

I'm pretty sure you can download it ( http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/backup.html ) and at least play with it... if not actually use it without a .mac account.

arn

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
tks for your help. it will let you back up to your idisk, you can only burn to cd's after purchasing .imac. however, i think it is probably worth it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.