PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake: faac vs CoreAudio

ThePiratkapten
Jun 21, 2013, 12:48 PM
Hi!

I am converting some movies with Handbrake and wonder if there is a difference between "faac" and "CoreAudio" in the audio tab when using AAC. I think if the audio quality is better with one or the other (I will use 320kbit/s).

Thanks in advance!

dynaflash
Jun 21, 2013, 01:31 PM
Core Audio is waaaay better than faac. In fact in the nightlies now HB has dropped faac on the mac. Note: Core Audio is only available on the mac version of HB.

ThePiratkapten
Jun 21, 2013, 02:20 PM
Core Audio is waaaay better than faac. In fact in the nightlies now HB has dropped faac on the mac. Note: Core Audio is only available on the mac version of HB.

Okay, but can you hear the difference with a pair of good headphones? Also, why is Core Audio better?

jayhawk11
Jun 23, 2013, 11:59 AM
Okay, but can you hear the difference with a pair of good headphones? Also, why is Core Audio better?

No, and because it's integrated into OS X (hence the "Core" name). Is there any particular reason why you aren't just sticking with a preset in Handbrake?

ThePiratkapten
Jun 23, 2013, 12:29 PM
No, and because it's integrated into OS X (hence the "Core" name). Is there any particular reason why you aren't just sticking with a preset in Handbrake?

Thanks for the clarification! (By the way, thank you dynaflash too!) I don't use the presets because I want to have full control over the settings and use more optimized settings for my needs. :)