Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
Who thinks there will be a new shuffle update soon? When do you think there will be a shuffle update next?

Its almost the perfect stocking stuffer cause of its price, and the fact that people who already have bigger iPods are still interested in shuffles. Besides, now that the nanos are out the shuffles aren't so small.

If apple cut the shuffles in half and trimmed them down a bit I would pick one up immediately.

Any thoughts?

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
howard said:
If apple cut the shuffles in half and trimmed them down a bit I would pick one up immediately.

i second that, but they'd have to keep the internal (flash memory) sizes the same. anyways, i think a price drop would be in order:D, but i don't know what else they can add to it...waterproof-ness would be nice though...

maybe let it be an apple remote too? as in, add an IR port and have another notch on the slide, so you can use it with the universal dock and front row?

if anybody knows about an update, i'd like to know as well; i'm seriously considering buying the shuffle...

EDIT it's always been my opinion that whenever the apple site has the same thing up for +2.5 weeks, they're gonna put something new up soon...a new shuffle would work, IMO...or new vids from ABC and some from NBC, like grey's anatomy and the west wing...

Lord Sandwich

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2005
Price drop, most definitely--it seems too early for them to bump up the capacity because they'd have to update the nano as well. Maybe they'll shrink it a bit (thinner?) but I don't know how much further they can go.

The shuffle I just bought fits perfectly in my hand, though, so I can't really complain.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
howard said:
Who thinks there will be a new shuffle update soon? When do you think there will be a shuffle update next?

Its almost the perfect stocking stuffer cause of its price, and the fact that people who already have bigger iPods are still interested in shuffles. Besides, now that the nanos are out the shuffles aren't so small.

Any thoughts?

soon? i don't think so but maybe somewhere next year or so...

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
i don't really think the shuffle should be bigger in memory size. thats not really the point of the shuffle. but smaller yes. And the remote control idea was pretty cool too.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i dont think the shuffle's will be altered anytime soon. it appears that in the past month or so apple has moved to sort its ipod line up in time for christmas. i wouldnt expect to see any changes to the ipod line up till 2nd quarter next year at a guess.

the only think they can do to the shuffle is form factor and battery life. increasing capacity would make it a competitor to the nano.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Maybe at MacWorld SF. It'll be the shuffle's first year anniversary then, and Apple tends to update their iPods yearly. A black shuffle maybe? I'd buy that!

playaproved

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
Raven VII said:
Maybe at MacWorld SF. It'll be the shuffle's first year anniversary then, and Apple tends to update their iPods yearly. A black shuffle maybe? I'd buy that!

I would definately purchase a black iPod shuffle... I already own the other black iPods and would have to own a shuffle to match as well.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Raven VII said:
Good call, maybe even a Sony-esque OLED on there too. Invisible on the black, cool looking on the white. I think a small display would be nice as that is the only real difference between the shuffle and other flash mp3 players that holds back the shuffles already impressive sales. If you can get a 1GB shuffle for the same cost as a Sony/Creative flash, both having screens and similar battery lives, the shuffles will corner yet another section of the market.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
no reason to increase the capacity of the shuffle unless you're going to add a screen. If I can't find what I'm looking for and exercise is the main purpose, 1 GB is more than enough. (and I say this as the very contented owner of a 1 GB shuffle)

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
I agree with others that if anything they'd probably do a pricecut before upping the capicity, although I can easily see them moving to a 1 gig/1.5 gig line-up at $99 & $129.

MWSF seems like the place for this to happen, but I wouldn't put it past Apple to pull something out sooner or later than that.

MankieApple

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2005
UK
I think the whole design of the Shuffle is beautiful, the sizes they come in are great, i use my shuffle to take to college with me, i would rather not have to carry my bigger one. The only update i would make would be the remote as already suggested, the black option would be cool, and also i think that they should make the USB cover slightly more robust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.