Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

th3godf4th3r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Hello all,

I currently have a 17" MBP (2009) model, I am considering upgrading to the new 13" macbook air or the new 13" MBP, or possibly waiting as nothing is wrong with current MBP.

I am in my last year of college and most time is spent browsing the web, watching movies/music, papers and email. Hardly ever use anything more than that, however, sometimes I will need to use Parallels. I also connect it to my 52" samsung to watch movies.

So what is everyones opinion? I like the air just because they are the same size but the air i could easily take with me anywhere. I also dont need to much of a hard drive considering I keep all movies on my 1TB hard drive.

All this being said, my current MBP i upgraded it when i got it and would consider upgrading the air or MBP if necessary just because I hate slow computers. I would do 8gb memory and the 1.7 ghz intel core i7, would i need to do this or would it be fast enough as is?

what about on the MBP?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

th3godf4th3r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I see after reading through the 4 or 8gb posts that most people say to go with 8gb.

Here is a pic of my current MBP 17" system memory as well as a pic of the configuration

I do not keep anything open besides what i am using, which as i stated is usually only chrome with 5-7 open tabs, itunes, word, excel and sometimes mail/thunderbird/outlook (whatever I am in the mood to use). I for the most part only web browse but i do occasionally use parallels to connect certain things that need windows (maybe once a month if that)

The $100 isnt a big deal but comes down to picking up in store today or waiting for it to be shipped with 8gb. I have had my current MBP since 2009 and it still works fine for my use but being the 17" model i want something more portable and light weight. I would probably plan on upgrading in a year or so

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-06-21 at 6.12.43 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-06-21 at 6.12.43 PM.png
    136.5 KB · Views: 223
  • Screen shot 2013-06-21 at 6.15.51 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-06-21 at 6.15.51 PM.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 201

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I like the 8GB 13" MacBook Air with the 1.7GHz Haswell. It would be an upgrade versus what you have in terms of CPU, RAM, and portability.

I wouldn't buy another Retina until they get those straightened out. I got LG displays on mine with lots of ghosting. I also had far too much lag in scrolling to the point it was frustrating.

The MBA is my favorite Mac. I will be happy when it gets the Retina display, assuming Apple has figured out the driver situation by then. You can always upgrade later.

roblin

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2007
I in a very much similar position. Have the 2009 17" which I no longer need for my work. I went to Apple story, the retina is really sweet so I am not sure I can live without it. My hope is that the next 13" rMBP will be thinner, then it would be the ultimate computer for me :)

th3godf4th3r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Hey all just checking back in in this post, I still have not upgraded but my dad just got a MBA and my buddy just got the 8gb MBA. Long story short it has me itching to upgrade.

So going back to my original question, what is still recommended

1) 13" MBA 256gb 8gb ram

2) 13" rMBP 256gb

3) wait for the next updates?

Thanks all

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
if weight form/factor doesn't matter, add an ssd to your current mbp and you'll get a second wind from it for everyday use, will make a massive difference in speed... otherwise, i think both machines would suit you well and it doesn't really matter.. get the rMBP if you want a better screen, but get the mba if you want a better form factor.. i think the rMBP won't experience much ui lag with mavericks, my 15" certainly doesn't, the newer OS fixes most gripes in such regards...

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Wait for 2014, there will likely be a redesign of the Air. The 2013's have unresolved Wifi issues.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
Wait for 2014, there will likely be a redesign of the Air. The 2013's have unresolved Wifi issues.

I'm not sure where you got your crystal ball, but I cannot imagine Apple will redesign the Air ... at least, not substantially. As you can see elsewhere in this forum, most WiFi issues have been resolved satisfactorily.

One can always wait around for something better; if your need is fairly immediate, on the other hand, the current MBAs represent excellent value for money.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

The WiFi problems have probably been sorted by now. My WiFi has never missed a beat! And I doubt the Air is going to see a refresh any time soon.

I have both an Air (11" for carrying around) and a rMBP (15" as my workstation). The only way to pick between them is with what you're going to do with it. If you're going to be carrying it around all the time, go for the Air. No questions. It's so much nicer to have in your backpack than a MBP. If you're only going to carry it around every once in a while, then go for the pro. The retina display really does make one hell of a difference (especially compared to the much cheaper panels in the air). OS X is very nice to use on a retina display!

Lifter7

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
Same boat here.

I'll wait till the next rMBP gets announced. That way I can have a comparison between the three models, and see which suits me best.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I'm not sure where you got your crystal ball, but I cannot imagine Apple will redesign the Air ... at least, not substantially. As you can see elsewhere in this forum, most WiFi issues have been resolved satisfactorily.

This is the fourth year of the current Air chassis, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and historically Apple has not gone five years without a design... take it FWIW.

You might want to read a few of the 113 forum pages about the WiFi issue before proclaiming it's been mostly resolved....

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5100655?start=15&tstart=0

----------

The WiFi problems have probably been sorted by now. My WiFi has never missed a beat! And I doubt the Air is going to see a refresh any time soon.

As above....

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5100655?start=15&tstart=0

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
This is the fourth year of the current Air chassis, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and historically Apple has not gone five years without a design... take it FWIW.

I'm not sure you can pronounce any redesign or rework "likely" given Apple's track record over the past couple of years. That was why I took exception to your comment ... I can remember MacBook Pro iterations that lasted only two years.

The fact that the MBA design has succeeded for nearly three years (the current iteration debuted October 14, 2010) does not mean it's due for some revamp. I cannot see the sense of trying to "trick" a current design that is selling as well as the MBA.

Any substantial change - a retina screen, for instance - would come at the expense of battery life or machine speed. The current MBA hits a sweet spot in performance, price and usability. I can think of only a few Apple products over the past 20 years that have enjoyed such unparalleled success.

Likely? I don't think Apple is likely to screw around with a proven product in the current climate.

th3godf4th3r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I am really torn between the 13" rMBP and 13" MBA, realistically what are the pros and cons between the two? battery life, speed etc..

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
I am really torn between the 13" rMBP and 13" MBA, realistically what are the pros and cons between the two? battery life, speed etc..

Well since the Pro has not been updated to Haswell yet, you are going to get much better battery life on the Air than the Pro.

Otherwise the differences really are

Air-
Battery
Weight
More usable screen real estate than a pro in "retina" mode
Faster WiFi
Better Graphics

Pro-
Higher resolution screen
More RAM
Faster Processors
2 thunderbolt and an HDMI port
Scaled screen resolutions

When the Pro is updated to Haswell, it will gain the better battery life, 802.11 AC wifi, and the Intel HD5000 graphics. For now though, the differences are more substantial.

yocko

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
WEIGHT

oh god... i could never go back to a mbp... the protability of the air wins big time... yeah i would love to have retina, but i dont think that will come soon on a mba.... but i don't miss it. my partner has it and yes it looks nice... but i really don't miss it.

plus 12 hour battery life on the new mba...

but most iportantly:

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
^^ some people need portable machines that are more powerful than an air.

Hi-res MBA's are slated to be released in 2014. Hopefully towards the beginning as opposed to later in the year.

th3godf4th3r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Thanks all, I think I at least am going to wait until the 22nd when Apple talks about the new mini, maybe they will introduce the haswell and wifi stuff on the rMBP as well.

I really love the weight factor and battery life of the MBA but some part of me wants to stay with a pro. Plus it is only about ahalf pound heavier than the air and has a bigger output display when I connect it to my Samsung or projector.

I guess I'll just be patient for another 2 weeks at least

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
what do you use your computer for??

I highly doubt you would see the benefits of the processors in the Pro as much as you would enjoy the benefits of having a lighter more portable machine.

th3godf4th3r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
what do you use your computer for??

I highly doubt you would see the benefits of the processors in the Pro as much as you would enjoy the benefits of having a lighter more portable machine.

I am in my last year of college and most time is spent browsing the web, watching movies/music, papers and email. Hardly ever use anything more than that, however, sometimes I will need to use Parallels to do all that windows jazz. I also connect it to my 52" samsung or to my projector to watch movies.

I do not keep anything open besides what i am using, which as i stated is usually only chrome with 5-7 open tabs, itunes, word, excel and sometimes mail/thunderbird/outlook (whatever I am in the mood to use).

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Yeah, you don't really need a pro for those types of apps, you will be plenty happy with an Air and I think would appreciate the weight savings more because you will never tap the power of the pro.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Seems like you're doing fine with your current computer (in terms of weight and size, and it's working great), so i would wait until there is a refresh on the rMBP.

You won't have to deal with adapters for watching movies on your TV, it's got more I/O should you need it and the performance and screen will be nicer.

Personally I see no reason to buy a 13" MacBook Air over the 13" MacBook Pro Retina. The only MacBook Air, I would look at is the 11" which doesn't look like something you need.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I'm not sure you can pronounce any redesign or rework "likely" given Apple's track record over the past couple of years. That was why I took exception to your comment ... I can remember MacBook Pro iterations that lasted only two years.

The fact that the MBA design has succeeded for nearly three years (the current iteration debuted October 14, 2010) does not mean it's due for some revamp. I cannot see the sense of trying to "trick" a current design that is selling as well as the MBA.

Any substantial change - a retina screen, for instance - would come at the expense of battery life or machine speed. The current MBA hits a sweet spot in performance, price and usability. I can think of only a few Apple products over the past 20 years that have enjoyed such unparalleled success.

Likely? I don't think Apple is likely to screw around with a proven product in the current climate.

Haha, spoken like a true soothsayer, not...

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/1...inch-macbook-with-retina-display-in-mid-2014/

iMacca

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
so now is there any reason to upgrade to 1.7ghz on the air?

I don't think so. I am actually in the exact same boat as you, trying to decide whether to get the 13" MBA or 13" rMBP.
I currently have a 2011 13" MBP (i7) with 256GB SSD and 16GB RAM, but have had it swapped with my husband's 11" MBA for the last 3 months because the USB ports on the MBA didn't always work.
So, having used the 2012 11" MBA (i5, 8GB RAM) for the last 3 months I have to say I didn't miss my MBP much, except I prefer the bigger screen size. Performance was more than enough (web design & development) and the portability is just the best.
I am saying this because I really don't think processor speed matters too much these days, unless you are doing video work.
What makes me lean towards the MBA right now is that the rMBP won't have 16GB RAM. I run one or two VM's and it's handy having the extra RAM. So if both machines can have 8GB RAM max then the slightly lighter and slimmer design of the MBA is more appealing to me.
I might wait to see what the new rMBP's will look like, but I am most likely going to get the MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.