Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I received my new Macbook Air on Tuesday, and I just can't shake the way the backlight is on the bottom of the screen when it's white. You may not be able to make it out too well by the picture, but there's a couple places on the bottom left portion and a place on the bottom right portion where this happens, not to mention a faint change in color all over the bottom edge of the screen.

Is this common in Macbook Airs, as in is this something that I should just deal with? I compared it side by side with a 2008 Macbook and it doesn't have this.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 745

techn0lady

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
I think you should take it back. It looks to me like they installed the screen upside-down

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
I also had the uneven lighting on my previous 2013 11".. Returned it and got a 13" instead and never looked back.. 13" models seem to have a much better uniformed screen.

Appledreamer

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
Belfast
I also had the uneven lighting on my previous 2013 11".. Returned it and got a 13" instead and never looked back.. 13" models seem to have a much better uniformed screen.

mine too has the bottom corners and they fade out and there not white but would they really replace the macbook air, and what if i got one and it was even worse?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-22 at 08.56.31.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-22 at 08.56.31.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 222

snood

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
I noticed this too on my 13" 2013 model, and while trying to find others with the same issue stumbled on this thread about the 2011 models-

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1195183/

I think it's just how the MBA screen is made that creates this slight gradient. Most likely all models have it. I checked a 2012 model that we have at work and I could notice it on that one too.

jksu

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2009
I received my new Macbook Air on Tuesday, and I just can't shake the way the backlight is on the bottom of the screen when it's white. You may not be able to make it out too well by the picture, but there's a couple places on the bottom left portion and a place on the bottom right portion where this happens, not to mention a faint change in color all over the bottom edge of the screen.

Is this common in Macbook Airs, as in is this something that I should just deal with? I compared it side by side with a 2008 Macbook and it doesn't have this.

yes, unfortunately it's common, this backlight bleed. have it on mine (2010 11")... dont' notice it too much unless you have a mostly dark background.

when i bought a 2012 it was even worse i had to return it. the replacement 2012 was better, but after using it a few days, it ran hot and noisy so i decided to keep the 2010.

tempted with the 2013 for the battery life. sad to hear the screens are pretty much the same. definitely apple's way to push people towards retina but they dont' have retina in the 11" form factor!

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
This is a problem on all the Airs. When I first got my Fall 2010 11" Air I noticed the top and bottom of the display was dim about 2-3mm in.

I thought this was a defect in my computer so I went to the Apple store to see if the floor units had the same problem. They all did.

It's kind of annoying. Sometimes I avoid having apps open to the very bottom of the display. With Safari I have the Status Bar displayed which hides the backlight fade at the bottom of the screen.

I guess this is the price for thinness :rolleyes: Once you realize your computer is not defective it's easier to ignore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.