Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyturbouk

macrumors 68000
Original poster
I have the gut feeling that the mac pro, as much as I would love to have one would be an overkill for me! I think I am a minority on these forums, in that I think the new mac. Pros look awesome-

I have been giving some serious thoughts to a mac mini
The features I would personally love to see in the next round of refreshs are:
-Dedicated gpu
-Dual TB
-pci-e ssd

My current needs are that I need a portable machine, and a desktop machine for my work.
I suppose a MBp would give me all these options, however, I feel a mac air (ordered) for portability and mac mini for my desktop needs
My current set up is 2010 iMac with dell 27 ultrassharp, apple keyboard+trackpad. Also have LaCie tb my little disk with two 500gb ssds for data storage :)

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I have always bought Mac minis for the size and have always ended up getting the most maxed out model (i.e. current 2.6Ghz).

I will probably end up getting the Mac pro instead of the mini next time I upgrade so I can take advantage of the 'power to weight' ratio that i am guessing the Mac pro will smash when it is released. It doesn't appear to have much more of a desktop foot print than the current mini - in fact it looks smaller. I would never have looked at a pro until now.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I have always bought Mac minis for the size and have always ended up getting the most maxed out model (i.e. current 2.6Ghz).

I will probably end up getting the Mac pro instead of the mini next time I upgrade so I can take advantage of the 'power to weight' ratio that i am guessing the Mac pro will smash when it is released. It doesn't appear to have much more of a desktop foot print than the current mini - in fact it looks smaller. I would never have looked at a pro until now.

I started in the Mac world with the early Mac Pro and since have gone to Mac Minis. I am like you - will probably get the Mac Pro (assuming the price is not outrageous) as it is in ever sense - a Mac Pro Mini. Given that most of my work is in Photoshop and light movie editing stuff, this should be an ideal upgrade for me.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
If you want a mid-end tower, just pick up an old refurb Mac Pro.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
No tb and no usb3 = no point!

Wonder what's the feasibility that the new macpros will be sub $2000

I think they will have an entry level just under $2000. It works so much better from an advertising perspective. More people 'feel' they can afford it and then consider it. It will be hard to say no once your hooked :) Then spec up the RAM,Cores,SSD,GPU/s... and then you mortgage the house...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The features I would personally love to see in the next round of refreshs are:
-Dedicated gpu
-Dual TB
-pci-e ssd
I highly doubt you'll see these specs. You're looking for a desktop computer that is positioned below the Mac Pro but above the iMac, where as the Mini is blow the iMac.

Apple isn't about to roll out a head-less iMac or desktop that has these features which would impact its sales of the iMac or soon to be released Mac Pro.

People have been clamoring for a machine that is between the Mac Pro/iMac ever since the Mac Pro came out and Apple has yet to release it.

johnnyturbouk

macrumors 68000
Original poster
I think they will have an entry level just under $2000. It works so much better from an advertising perspective. More people 'feel' they can afford it and then consider it. It will be hard to say no once your hooked :) Then spec up the RAM,Cores,SSD,GPU/s... and then you mortgage the house...

I think you have dissolved the shroud over apple's magical PR campaign!
God they always get me - I bet I end up copping both the Mac Pro and mac airs!

I highly doubt you'll see these specs. You're looking for a desktop computer that is positioned below the Mac Pro but above the iMac, where as the Mini is blow the iMac.

Apple isn't about to roll out a head-less iMac or desktop that has these features which would impact its sales of the iMac or soon to be released Mac Pro.

People have been clamoring for a machine that is between the Mac Pro/iMac ever since the Mac Pro came out and Apple has yet to release it.
This beauty would be ideal for me. However TB hub could also solve this
One tb to a hub and other hdmi to my dell monitor hoping it upscales ok
Then tb to pci-e for external graphics card. Got a feeling this option would cost almost as much as the Mac Pro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.