Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martinocando

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
When I use another music player on iOS6, the whole musical environment of the iPhone adjusts to use that app. I mean, if I open the task panel, and swipe right, the icon of the app currently playing is there, and the controls work for that app. The same when I double tap on the lock screen.

Why can Apple do the same with the camera, for example. Why can't we just set Pure camera or Kitcam as our default, and it will open it when swiping up on the lock screen?

Same as with default browser.

Northernist

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2013
Don't hold your breath. Apple uses a very closed-off ecosystem for their apps, I don't see this feature coming to iOS anytime soon unfortunately.

martinocando

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Don't hold your breath. Apple uses a very closed-off ecosystem for their apps, I don't see this feature coming to iOS anytime soon unfortunately.

I know. I'm just venting my frustration. Pure photo is years ahead of the default camera app, and is a pain to tap, unlock, enter code and open the app when in a hurry, that many times I have to resort to the default app.
Looks like the iOS7 camera app is much better, but still lacks the tweakability of pure.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
It's still impossible for apps to import music in to your music library.

I wouldn't count on them opening up media any time soon.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Tim Cook mentioned/hinted that Apple will open up more at The All Things D Conference. Give it time. iOS 7 is still a beta, plenty of time to open things up.

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
Remember the leak a few days ago that shows the internal settings. The ability to have nested folders and hiding default apps? The possibility is not that far fetched. Additionally, Tim Cook did hint at this during the All Things D interview, where he said they're going to be more open and not as closed-in.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Looks like the iOS7 camera app is much better, but still lacks the tweakability of pure.

Yup, better, but still nowhere as flexible as that of, say, WP8. For example, you still can't add your own functionality to it to avoid having to reimplement the entire thing in your app, with all its tidbits like start/stop icon, flash icon etc. WP8's approach is orders of magnitude better, which is particularly painful for me, the developer of several dynamic video trackers (see my UbiPic client).

BTW, I'm working on a huge article on the new Camera stuff; it'll be soon published. Some tidbits of it has already been published in my 60 fps thread.

----------

Tim Cook mentioned/hinted that Apple will open up more at The All Things D Conference. Give it time. iOS 7 is still a beta, plenty of time to open things up.

I wish they indeed did that... though I'm afraid they won't. For example, the camera API is as closed as before. Absolutely no openness or end-user code integration possibilities.

One can only hope iOS7 can also be jailbroken so that we can add functionality like that of the excellent CameraTweak (or my video tweaker - see https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1538193/ ) ourselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.