PDA

View Full Version : Back to iOS 6.1.4

palmerized
Jun 22, 2013, 09:19 PM
Couldn't take the glitches, random restarts, etc.
When I got back to 6, I found it muuuuuch smoother, faster.
I know it's only beta 1, but they have a lot of work to do.

tekboi
Jun 22, 2013, 09:24 PM
Well, I'm actually a DEVELOPER and I don't use it on my main device. So it's fine for me.

palmerized
Jun 22, 2013, 09:27 PM
So am I. Just saying its not even close for prime time yet.

mrapplegate
Jun 22, 2013, 09:28 PM
So am I. Just saying its not even close for prime time yet.

Since when is a first beta?

Krissypantz2828
Jun 22, 2013, 09:32 PM
Well, I'm actually a DEVELOPER and I don't use it on my main device. So it's fine for me.

I use it on my main device, I dont find it that bad actually. Besides the battery issue which I made a little bit better on my device!

JOSE891
Jun 22, 2013, 09:34 PM
Thinking about going back to 6.1.4 on my iP5, but beta 2 should be out sum time next week. Im most of the bugs/issues aren't resolved im just gonna go back too 6.1.4.

nikicampos
Jun 22, 2013, 09:35 PM

First rule of iOS7 beta is: DEVELOPERS ONLY.
Second rule of iOS7 beta is: DEVELOPERS ONLY.

I'm tired of this "cool kids in the block" wannabes complaining about a beta and how much work this needs and trashing out iOS 7 for being buggy, then saying... going back to iOS 6, gonna wait for final release, sorry Apple.

iOS 7 beta is not meant for the average user.

Krissypantz2828
Jun 22, 2013, 09:39 PM

I'm tired of this "cool kids in the block" wannabes complaining about a beta and how much work this needs and trashing out iOS 7 for being buggy, then saying... going back to iOS 6, gonna wait for final release, sorry Apple.

No its not, BUT if you arent a developer you CAN try it at your own risk if you like!!!

Many people, like myself, were anxious to try it! There is nothing wrong with that. Also he wasnt complaining, just mentioning!

thegrants82
Jun 22, 2013, 09:49 PM
Lol bet your back tomorrow. iOS 7 is my daily driver and doing it better than iOS 6 ever did

Paradoxally
Jun 22, 2013, 09:54 PM
Lol bet your back tomorrow. iOS 7 is my daily driver and doing it better than iOS 6 ever did

Except for, you know:

- the decrease in battery life
- animations taking twice the time
- lag (even on iPhone 5)
- bugs
- graphical glitches with apps
- some app incompatibility

And in terms of subjectivity:
- horrid icons

iOS 7 is nice to play with, not for daily use unless you like charging your phone 3x a day.

lsutigerfan1976
Jun 22, 2013, 09:54 PM

That is what happened with me. I went back to ios 6 and not even 24 hrs went buy and i loaded ios 7 again. I am starting to really like the new ios. And i can deal with the minor problems. For me, since i am using an iphone 5. The only real stuff i have to deal with is apps not working. Or a minor glitch here and there.

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 22, 2013, 10:08 PM
Except for, you know:

- lag (even on iPhone 5)
- bugs

- horrid icons

iOS 7 is nice to play with, not for daily use unless you like charging your phone 3x a day.
Do you consider yourself a heavy user / gamer?

Krissypantz2828
Jun 22, 2013, 10:26 PM
Yah that's what happened to me! Iw net back to iOS 6 two times already and always ended up coming back lol

----------

Except for, you know:

- lag (even on iPhone 5)
- bugs

- horrid icons

I get 22 hours with my phone on iOS 7 iPhone 5!!!!

Sdahe
Jun 22, 2013, 10:37 PM
I went back to 6.1.4 today... couldn't stand ios 7. Not for me!!!. I don't really like the new OS... I'm really thinking on changing my iphone for a Galaxy S4

Beeplance
Jun 22, 2013, 10:58 PM

I concur. Most people just like to fumble with the betas because they want the latest software, and then go on to complain and whine alot about there are glitches here and there and the experience sucks.

Apparently, seems like some people don't quite comprehend the full meaning of the word "beta".

PNutts
Jun 22, 2013, 10:59 PM

The beta does not result in the phone needing charged three times a day. Not knowing how to manage an upgrade (including a beta) can result in a phone that needs charged multiple times a day.

batman75
Jun 22, 2013, 11:14 PM

Well if you only have one phone, it was pretty dumb of you to download beta 1.

I have 2 iphones - one for the beta, and one that I can count on.

hunter2k9
Jun 23, 2013, 12:04 AM

Let me chime in and say that I am not a developer and have had an iPhone since the first one released. This is the first time I have felt compelled to install a Beta on my device and the reason being I had been waiting for a change in UI design for a long time. The excitement on my part was too big to wait. I understand the "for developers only" label and I understand what a Beta software means. I have glitches just like anyone else but am willing to see this baby through till the end. So far other than a few apps not working and battery drainage I haven't had much problem and the small issues I do have I'm willing to put up with and not complain because at the end of the day its my own damn fault haha. It looks stunning in person and with the right wallpaper. Just my two cents, and good luck to everyone. Ohh and I agree completely with the above poster.

Sangdushi
Jun 23, 2013, 12:20 AM
Me too. Tried it since release but had enough last night and just DUFed and went back to iOS 6. I understand that it's a beta and there will be lag and things like that so the occasional lag wasn't the problem. It just feels much heavier than what I'm used to. They tried to go minimalist with everything but somehow everything from the icons to the apps and new features just feel heavier and clunkier. Felt like android :(. Sad thing is that I really truly tried to like it. Apple really has their work cut out for them before they release the official version.

TennisandMusic
Jun 23, 2013, 01:45 AM
Me too. Tried it since release but had enough last night and just DUFed and went back to iOS 6. I understand that it's a beta and there will be lag and things like that so the occasional lag wasn't the problem. It just feels much heavier than what I'm used to. They tried to go minimalist with everything but somehow everything from the icons to the apps and new features just feel heavier and clunkier. Felt like android :(. Sad thing is that I really truly tried to like it. Apple really has their work cut out for them before they release the official version.

Well my Android Nexus 4 feels light and zippy, so not sure what you mean by that.

I'm really hoping they release the iPad beta soon however. The fact they didn't shows they are behind IMO.

However, complaining about a first beta being buggy, is ridiculous. If they release a final that sucks, sure open the flood gates, but nothing is more infuriating as a software developer than having people criticize a WIP like it's a final product.

Trust me, the developers themselves know way more about what is wrong with the software than the end users do. Everyone just be a little patient and we'll see what is actually delivered.

Defender2010
Jun 23, 2013, 02:42 AM

Why did you feel the need to start a new thread when there are several already? You can't tell us anything we don't already know. You are just trolling, aren't you. Of course iOS 6 is faster and smoother - it is not a beta.

kodeman53
Jun 23, 2013, 04:08 AM

If people want to pay $99 to try it, great for them.

I'm tired of them starting a thread announcing they are going back to iOS6.

NovemberWhiskey
Jun 23, 2013, 04:52 AM

Oh sorry if its just for pro users like you. Heavens knows all the years of computer sci you spent at Stanford qualifies only you to try out the beta...

Rogifan
Jun 23, 2013, 05:08 AM
No its not, BUT if you arent a developer you CAN try it at your own risk if you like!!!

Many people, like myself, were anxious to try it! There is nothing wrong with that. Also he wasnt complaining, just mentioning!

Ugh....that's the problem. People just "wanting to try it", then complaining about it being buggy, not ready for prime time, bad battery life etc. Betas aren't released for people who just want to try something out. And how many of these people are reading beta release notes, doing proper testing and providing feedback to Apple vs those just trying it out and then coming to a site like MR to complain and say they're downgrading or going Android or whatever.

thegrants82
Jun 23, 2013, 05:31 AM
Except for, you know:

- lag (even on iPhone 5)
- bugs

Wrong. See you sometime later tonight or tomorrow.

naasrd
Jun 23, 2013, 07:13 AM

3rd rule of beta is; Ignore "Developers Only".

Quercus Alba
Jun 23, 2013, 07:46 AM
Went back to iOS 6.1.4 a few days ago (getting iPhone replaced next week due to WiFi issues) and holy crap, everything is so much easier to read and view. I never realised how bright and poorly divided the iOS 7 UI is until I went back to iOS 6. iOS 7 seriously made my eyes itch.

RE people going back to iOS 6 because of performance: you've clearly never used an iOS beta before :p iOS 7b1 is actually one of the best iOS betas I've ever used. Hardly anything is completely broken, and the performance is pretty solid for b1.

iOS 5b1... now that was hell.

Gregintosh
Jun 23, 2013, 08:41 AM
I went back to iOS 6.1.4 as well since I didn't want to be using buggy stuff long (just installed iOS 7 to play around with a few days and get a feel for it).

My observations: iOS 7 was cool to use for a while but exhausting. I don't care about the bugs/performance since its a beta and I know those will be resolved when it finally comes out.

The exhausting part is the interface. While at first it was nice to get a breath of fresh air, I just feel like the interface is more chaotic. For example, by removing a lot of lines and dividers, things just seem to blend in together.

Case in point: The Mail app. It no longer has divider lines between mailboxes, they are all just written on one block of white. And with little contrast between that area and the light grey areas on top or bottom the whole app just looks like chaos. Same with music app, same with many other apps.

I think they really need an accent color.

It reminds me of the time I painted a room completely green. It looked okay but "unfinished" So what I did was I painted a 10 inch purple line across the center of each wall (horizontal line), as if to split the wall in two green halves. All of a sudden the room looked attractive and complete and wayyy better than before -- all thanks to a simple, but bold purple line.

What iOS 7 badly needs is some accent colors also. White and Grey go together, sure, but there's no contrast. They need to accent each app with a bold contrast color, and add some contrast to some of the elements.

They can also accent the elements a bit, so that your eyes know which parts of the screen "go together" and help guide your eyes.

They don't have to make fake 3D effects or heaven forbid skeuomorphism. They just need to add some colored lines, or fill a few spaces with solid colors. It will look 10000x better. And complete.

Also, they need to remove the b.s. textures from places. If you go flat design it should be flat with SOLID colors.

Oh, and the lock screen should still tell you which way to slide. If you are a newbie you may think sliding up is the way to go because there's an up arrow.

I hope that they make a lot of visual tweaks by the time they launch. I know the odds are not in this favor as typically I hear betas were visually complete just had to have bugs ironed out or back end features put in, but I hope this one bucks the trend.

If it doesn't, I think this may be the first release of iOS that many people skip. I for one may skip it and just upgrade to iOS 8 when I know they will address these problems (or else Apple is going to be in serious trouble) or just wait entirely until I get new hardware. If this happens, it is going to damage Apple's fragmentation argument.

As much as I enjoyed the cool animations and iTunes Radio and such, I am back on iOS 6 and feel much better about it.

Quercus Alba
Jun 23, 2013, 08:50 AM
SEE ABOVE

This exactly.