Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boombox15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I am thinking of buying a new MacBook Air or a Retina MacBook Pro. I have heard that several people have been saying that they are having many issues with Wi-Fi, Heat,Performance etc. Sounds like the air is a flawed product for now, but should I stay away from it or buy a new Retina MacBook Pro? I also really don't think the air is for me but I am going to the apple store to try them out.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I've seen these types of reports in the past (i.e. Original iPad), but the weird thing is I've never been affected or have not seen it in person... I'm not going to say the issue does not exist, but maybe not in the scope its being made out to be. Also have to keep in the mind that some of the reports may be user error...

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Don't be silly. Plenty of happy folks out there. Besides, you have a two week return policy at your disposal in case there's something you don't like.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
I wouldn't worry about the wifi issues with the Air because, as with every new product release, there will be bugs and they will be ironed out. Knowing Apple it might take a couple of months (or longer who truly knows?), but realistically I see it as a non-factor if you're considering purchasing an Air. Also, I wouldn't worry about issues with performance, heat, etc. The build quality and finish that the Air boasts is extremely high and most people on the forums will only come to complain- not to rave- about their laptops.

I think trying it out like you said and comparing the Air/Retina Pro in person will be your best bet. I own older versions both machines and they are both really great- you'll be getting a great computer regardless.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
You have to think about it this way... For every 50-100 negative posts online, there are a few THOUSAND that are not having issues. People don't go to post on forums about a lack of problems.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
You have to think about it this way... For every 50-100 negative posts online, there are a few THOUSAND that are not having issues. People don't go to post on forums about a lack of problems.

I would like to register a complaint. My WiFi works perfectly, and I love my MacBook Air. LOL. I tend to believe when the issues like the WiFi thing come about, it's interference with someone's app or something they have outside the apple ecosystem causing the issue.

mj1108

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
California
It only looks like most are having issues, since people typically won't say anything if things are working correctly. If things aren't working, that's when they are vocal.

It's a very small percentage of people having the issue. Chances are, you will be fine.

flight

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
As others have mentioned, the wifi issue will likely be fixed with a firmware/software update. I've not had any issues with my base model 13" and ancient router (I'm not too familiar with networking technologies, but my router looks like the South Park one).

I should also mention that heat has not been an issue at all. Granted, I don't have Flash installed because it has been one of the few things that have brought down previous powerful Macs I have owned. This is the most comfortable laptop I have used and the only "laptop" I can actually use on my lap.

I hope you enjoy your new notebook, whether you go the Air or Retina route!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.