Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powermi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
Hi, now i have a problem on a powermac g4 gigabyte ethernet, cause i want to use it as file serve, its a dual 500 so ill expect better performance than on my actual server, a Quicksilver 733.
The problem is once i want to run a 10.5 HD on the GBethernet, i get a kernel panic, i think due to the old firmware. in appleś website it is a manual that shows how to upgrade the firmware, but the problem is that you need os 9.

i also have and iso of os 9, but every time that i burn it on a CD i cant boot from that CD. I have tried to install Classic on 10.4 but the ROM for the firmware does not work on that mode. any idea?

i have to use 10.5 cause i need time machine and the lastest versions of some programs like transmission.

thanks

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
This is somehow a crazy idea but if you have time try it:
10.4 cd: format hdd and tick9 partitions
os9 cd, try to boot usinc c

see if it works
As you know I have a Gigabit Ethernet, and I was trying to do the same, the machine wouldn't boot os9, now it boots, although I didn't managed to install it yet :p

powermi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
Thanks.. but i dont get the idea. could you explain it better please?
i prefer to use the GB for the task of being a server due to it has one fan less, so less noise, and more power cause is a dual!

thanks again.

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Thanks.. but i dont get the idea. could you explain it better please?
i prefer to use the GB for the task of being a server due to it has one fan less, so less noise, and more power cause is a dual!

thanks again.

I've read on an os9 torrent that the drive must be formated using 10.4 installer os (less) because of the os9.
it's strange because 10.5 dvd has those drivers too.

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Make sure you use a CD with at least OS 9.1 on it. Your machine came with OS 9.04 but a retail version of 9.04 probably does not work.

In older versions of Disk Utility (10.4 and earlier, I think) you have this option for OS 9 support when partitioning hard drives. Could it have something to do with burning the CD? I honestly don't know...

powermi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
thanks.. a burned the iso on a PC, and the Graphic card is a Gforce 4 MX.
This afternoon i will try all your tips, lets see.

powermi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
SOLVED!

after few hours i get it!

i write the steps if someone need to boot on 9 to update the firmware.

1. make two partitions on your HD. and format them on Mac Plus.
2. install 10.4 or early on one.
3. install Classic on the 10.4 partition.
4. insert the os9 CD and start the installer. install it on the other free partition.
5. go to preferences, and select to boot from the os9 partition.
6. restart the computer.
7. after boot on os9, chose the ROM file, and follow the instructions.

PD: OS9 is really cool!

thanks... now i have another powerpc alive on 10.5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.