Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cemorris

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2004
With Apple now including the mighty mouse in the iMac. I would presume they are going to start including it with the powermac as well. Anyone case to speculate wether they will put two button mice in the powerbook/iBook. I am looking forward to some nice inovations in this area.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I hope not. While I do love my MX1000 when I use an external mouse, I do like having the simplistic one button on my PowerBook. It will be a sin if they change that.

cemorris

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2004
Fender said:
If they do put 2 buttons on the Powerbook it will still physically look like one button. I'm sure of that.

That is the kind of stuff I am hoping for. I would love them to inovate something new like that. I use all of Apples one button stuff, but would like to see them put two button functionality in the notebook lines. Perhaps one finger is a left click and two fingers on the button turns into a right click?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
cemorris said:
That is the kind of stuff I am hoping for. I would love them to inovate something new like that. I use all of Apples one button stuff, but would like to see them put two button functionality in the notebook lines. Perhaps one finger is a left click and two fingers on the button turns into a right click?
That wouldn't really be innovative. Fingerworks has had things like this for years. BTW, the two guys who invented Fingerworks now work for Apple.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
grapes911 said:
That wouldn't really be innovative. Fingerworks has had things like this for years. BTW, the two guys who invented Fingerworks now work for Apple.
Well that's kinda interesting. Two button functionality with the Intel Powerbooks possibly?

dansgil

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Well, maybe something like in the Mighty mice. If you touch the depress the left side, you get a left click, if you press the right side you get a right click.

I am planning on buying the first gen Intel Powerbook, and this would be a great feature to have.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
dansgil said:
Well, maybe something like in the Mighty mice. If you touch the depress the left side, you get a left click, if you press the right side you get a right click.
Thats probably exactly how it would be.
I hope they keep the one button look, 2 buttons would look wierd, especially on an apple notebook.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I like how iScroll implements the 2nd button.

You simply press down on the scroll pad with two fingers, press on the trackpad button and that acts as the second button. It keeps it simple. I use the 2-finger trick all the time.

A second button could get confusing for the new users, especially since the trackpad can be used with either hand, whereas with a 2-button mouse, it's formed to fit either the left or right hand only.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
cemorris said:
...Perhaps one finger is a left click and two fingers on the button turns into a right click?

Very interesting idea... Except, maybe make 3 fingers on the button be a right click... Sometimes I click it with 2 fingers since the button on my 17" is sooo wide... Or maybe it could be set in the preferences, 2 or 3 fingers.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Lacero said:
I like how iScroll implements the 2nd button.

You simply press down on the scroll pad with two fingers, press on the trackpad button and that acts as the second button. It keeps it simple. I use the 2-finger trick all the time.

A second button could get confusing for the new users, especially since the trackpad can be used with either hand, whereas with a 2-button mouse, it's formed to fit either the left or right hand only.
I agree, I think iScroll is probably the best way to implement a 2nd button. It takes a little getting used to, but I have a hard time using a notebook that doesn't have the feature now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.