PDA

View Full Version : Do not like the .com in Safari

xkmxkmxlmx
Jun 24, 2013, 12:09 AM
Overall I am really liking iOS 7 so far. Especially once I installed some darker wallpapers to contrast all the new lighter white scheme.

I am looking forward to the final release with all the bugs ironed out and a snappier response time.

That said, one change I can not stand is the ".com" button when searching/typing in safari. I constantly hit it and it has made typing on the kb frustrating on a kb that I usually find far superior to any other mobile device.

canucksfan88
Jun 24, 2013, 12:21 AM
Overall I am really liking iOS 7 so far. Especially once I installed some darker wallpapers to contrast all the new lighter white scheme.

I am looking forward to the final release with all the bugs ironed out and a snappier response time.

That said, one change I can not stand is the ".com" button when searching/typing in safari. I constantly hit it and it has made typing on the kb frustrating on a kb that I usually find far superior to any other mobile device.

i agree! i have hit that so many times...

cennix
Jun 24, 2013, 12:24 AM
OMG, totally agree with this, it's one of the most frustrating things on this mediocre update >.<

Lunfai
Jun 24, 2013, 12:25 AM
it's even worse with .co.uk ://

ohbrilliance
Jun 24, 2013, 12:31 AM
Likewise, the missing period key on the main keyboard makes it harder to type URLs in the address bar.

tygrubb
Jun 24, 2013, 12:40 AM
This has to be the reason we didn't haven a unified location/search bar before. It's so super freaking frustrating to type anything there. Major usability issue. Hope they come up with another solution.

Ay_Zimmy
Jun 24, 2013, 12:49 AM
I have to practice hitting the space bar by pressing the exact middle.. not feeling it. maybe a .com symbol would help instead and make the spacebar bigger again..

Jimrod
Jun 24, 2013, 12:54 AM
Agreed, the .co.uk gets hit every other time I'm typing in the search bar.

fraggot
Jun 24, 2013, 02:55 AM
This will be something I surely hope they'll change or I'll have I start using Chrome.

aimee.elizabeth
Jun 24, 2013, 02:57 AM
Agreed! Hopefully they can change it, maybe revert it back to when you hold the period button, options for .com etc will show up.

HarryAinslie
Jun 24, 2013, 04:05 AM
Agreed, hopefully they remove this or adjust it before they release it in Autumn.

coffeemadmanUK
Jun 24, 2013, 04:28 AM
It is annoying, especially .co.uk which is longer. I think a .com/.co.uk button would be better if it was a symbol rather than words.

Firen
Jun 24, 2013, 04:54 AM
Yeah that button is bugging me as well. I don't think I've ever searched for something in the new Safari without there being a ".de" in the middle of my keyword.

8a22a
Jun 24, 2013, 05:03 AM
I don't find it a problem, space bar is big enough.

J.C
Jun 24, 2013, 05:18 AM
Even if they just switched the .com and spacebar around I'd be happy.

LastZion
Jun 24, 2013, 05:45 AM
This must change in B2. So annoying.

iMatt.
Jun 24, 2013, 06:15 AM
I'm glad it isn't just me that feels this way

DustinT
Jun 24, 2013, 07:30 AM
Ya, the tweaks to this have caused me to mistype so many things. This needs some more work. I do like the omnibar though.

GoCubsGo
Jun 24, 2013, 07:36 AM

Me too. I've hit the .com far too frequently.

Naor
Jun 24, 2013, 07:36 AM
When you think about it, the microphone also takes up space. If you disable it, it will be way easier to press the space key.

Sodner
Jun 24, 2013, 07:38 AM
Ditto. I can't count the number of times I hit that darn .com key by mistake. It's horrible!

ominx
Jun 24, 2013, 08:21 AM
Yes, add me to the list that thinks this needs to be changed. Plus, when you have a second keyboard activated (2nd language or emoji) the space bar becomes even smaller making it extremely difficult to search with the same speed and efficiency as before. If it stays like this my thumb will definitely need to retrain itself to move left a bit.

Parise
Jun 24, 2013, 08:30 AM
I don't find it a problem, space bar is big enough.

Are you lefty? I think it comes down to whatever hand you normally hit the space bar with physically.

I love searching for "iOS.com7.comBeta.com2.comRelease.comDate"

xkmxkmxlmx
Jun 24, 2013, 12:51 PM

That would solve it for me too, I think.

----------

Are you lefty? I think it comes down to whatever hand you normally hit the space bar with physically.

I love searching for "iOS.com7.comBeta.com2.comRelease.comDate"

Ha, that's perfect.

Trius
Jun 24, 2013, 02:56 PM
Agreed. I'd rather have the larger space bar and type '.com' myself.

WordMasterRice
Jun 24, 2013, 02:58 PM
Agreed. I'd rather have the larger space bar and type '.com' myself.

Yep, it would definitely take me a lot less time to type .com once vs having to go back and fix 4 .com's in the middle of my search.

fivedots
Jun 24, 2013, 02:59 PM
A long-press of Go would be a logical place for a .com, etc. type menu.

kiantech
Jun 24, 2013, 03:37 PM
I have this problem, it is very annoying. Its to the point where I do not want to search with safari.

trfjason
Jun 24, 2013, 04:02 PM
They took away the .com button for the iPad :(

Guru53
Jun 24, 2013, 04:07 PM
This is absolutely the worst thing about iOS 7 for me. Might have to switch to chrome for a while until they fix this issue. Every time I try to search I end up hitting the ".com" button instead of the space bar about half the time.

Phanatic
Jun 25, 2013, 05:13 PM
Anyone else hate the placement of the [.com] button in Safari? 9 times out of 10 I hit it on accident instead of hitting the [space].

Would like to see it moved, although not sure to where, the layout of the keyboard is already tightly confined. Any ideas?

inselstudent
Jun 25, 2013, 05:16 PM
You're not the first critizing that, but I think it's just a matter of getting used to. :-)

michaelfields
Jun 25, 2013, 05:17 PM
Anyone else hate the placement of the [.com] button in Safari? 9 times out of 10 I hit it on accident instead of hitting the [space].

Would like to see it moved, although not sure to where, the layout of the keyboard is already tightly confined. Any ideas?

Yeah I usually use chrome but I've been using safari a bit more now that you can have more tabs. That button is killing my desire to use it though because I'm more prone to tap the space bar with my right thumb so I hit it EVERY time.

JoEw
Jun 25, 2013, 05:18 PM
It would make more sense for apple to replace it with a "." button instead, smaller, makes more sense because a lot of companies will begin shifting away from .com to use their own TLD (apple.com >> .apple)

freedevil
Jun 25, 2013, 05:24 PM
What annoys me is when the .com autofills at the url bar for a google search.

Phanatic
Jun 25, 2013, 05:28 PM
Im right handed and I generally hit the [space] with my right thumb. It's discrimination against the right handed.

alanjfrancis
Jun 25, 2013, 05:32 PM
The .com button has defaulted to .co.uk on mine.

rpc33
Jun 25, 2013, 05:43 PM
I actually came on here to make a new thread about this change. It's driving me absolutely insane!!!

shandyman
Jun 25, 2013, 05:47 PM
It was bugging me at first, but after 2 weeks, I'm starting to retrain myself so less of an issue. Prefer it to be .com than .co.uk here in the uk tho.

ritmomundo
Jun 25, 2013, 06:30 PM
I'm right handed but hit space with my left thumb (when I'm 2-hand typing). Always did it this way. I haven't once accidentally hit .com.

C DM
Jun 25, 2013, 06:31 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1601082

mjpearce023
Jun 25, 2013, 07:20 PM
I had a problem with it the first week I had iOS 7 but have gotten used to it now. Its just one of those things that takes a minute to get used to.

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 25, 2013, 07:23 PM
www.thedotcombuttondoesntbothermeintheleast.com