PDA

View Full Version : Jailbreaking ATV2 assistance?

CasperDK
Jun 24, 2013, 02:05 AM
Hello all

I just got an ATV2, with version 4.4.3 or something along those lines. I would like it to run 5.2.1 and be jailbroken. I tried using seasonpass, but it seems to fail when reaching the iTunes part where I have to restore the custom ipsw, probably because Apple has released 5.3 and won't allow it? I got an error code 3194.

Can I only jailbreak its current version 4.4.3 or wait for a 5.3 jailbreak? Isn't there a way to get it updated and jailbroken with 5.2.1?

Thanks a lot for any help you can provide!

dugbug
Jun 27, 2013, 08:20 AM
Hello all

I just got an ATV2, with version 4.4.3 or something along those lines. I would like it to run 5.2.1 and be jailbroken. I tried using seasonpass, but it seems to fail when reaching the iTunes part where I have to restore the custom ipsw, probably because Apple has released 5.3 and won't allow it? I got an error code 3194.

Can I only jailbreak its current version 4.4.3 or wait for a 5.3 jailbreak? Isn't there a way to get it updated and jailbroken with 5.2.1?

Thanks a lot for any help you can provide!

To my knowledge there are no jailbreak options for the puck apple TVs. However with plexconnect there isn't much reason any more (other than having to establish a server).

lunaoso
Jun 27, 2013, 09:47 AM
To my knowledge there are no jailbreak options for the puck apple TVs. However with plexconnect there isn't much reason any more (other than having to establish a server).

No there is a jailbreak for the 2nd gen ones, but not the 3rd gens. They look the same but 3rd gen has 1080p.

To OP: If you update to 5.3, you might be able to do a tethered jailbreak. Not sure if Seas0npass has been updated to support 5.3 yet though.

dgalvan123
Jun 27, 2013, 11:08 AM
I would like it to run 5.2.1 and be jailbroken. I tried using seasonpass, but it seems to fail when reaching the iTunes part where I have to restore the custom ipsw, probably because Apple has released 5.3 and won't allow it? I got an error code 3194.

That sounds similar to a problem I had when doing this a few months back: when Seasonpass threw to iTunes to restore the ATV using the custom ipsw, iTunes just never did anything. I had to force iTunes to restore by right-clicking and selecting the particular .ipsw.

See this post for a step-by-step guide to jailbreaking your ATV2 and installing XBMC and Hulu/Amazon add-ons:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1305573

Relevant to your problem:
. . .
2. Run Seasonpass on your computer and follow instructions at http://support.firecore.com/entries/...101-Seas0nPass.
If you successfully jailbreak your ATV2 here (which you will know by a temporary Firecore icon on your Apple TV "Settings" icon when you hook it back up to your TV), move on to step 3.

I ran into two problems in this part. If you have either of these problems, see my notes below. (I think they are caused by bugs in SeasonPass. Perhaps an updated version of SeasonPass will eschew these problems sometime soon.)

*Note A: If you have a problem where Seasonpass fails to create the .ipsw file, saying "Filesystem patches failed", then visit this URL for a solution. http://forum.firecore.com/topic/4010...#comment-58963

**Note B: Another problem I ran into: After creating the .ipsw file, when the ATV2 was in DFU mode, Seasonpass said that iTunes would restore the ATV2 using the custom-built .ipsw firmware. Seasonpass said I should just wait for iTunes to do it, but iTunes never did anything. It saw the plugged-in Apple TV 2, but didn't automatically restore it.
The solution: after Seasonpass says that "iTunes will now restore your Apple TV. . .", you should manually go into iTunes and "option + click" on the "Restore" button. This will give you a dialog box. Navigate to your home directory, then Library --> Application Support --> Seas0nPass --> Firmware. Choose the file that looks like: "AppleTV2,1_5.2_xxxxxx_SP_Restore.ipsw" (where xxxxxx is some combination of characters that may be unique). The "SP" stands for seasonpass, which distinguishes it from Apple's official .ipsw firmware.
iTunes will then "restore" your ATV2 using the jailbroken firmware created by SeasonPass. For me, after iTunes was done, SeasonPass was still stuck on the "please wait for iTunes to finish" message. But that's ok. As soon as iTunes finishes restoring, your ATV2 is jailbroken, and you can just unplug the ATV2 and go hook it back up to your TV. You can even click cancel on SeasonPass (I had to to close that program).
. . .