PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Apple devices in iOS 7 Beta 1 were auto-bricked

Pikachu4170
Jun 24, 2013, 07:42 AM
If you use iOS 7 Beta 1, there were some rumors that iOS 7 Beta 1 users will have their phone bricked in Recovery Mode in June 24 at 12:00 (Greenwich Mean Time).

Was this rumor real?

SvP
Jun 24, 2013, 07:44 AM
If you use iOS 7 Beta 1, there were some rumors that iOS 7 Beta 1 users will have their phone bricked in Recovery Mode in June 24 at 12:00 (Greenwich Mean Time).

Was this rumor real?
No, lol/ it's people being stupid. The beta (beta 1) will expire JULI 24th, wich will leave your phone unusable (unless you update, bricking is nearly impossible nowadays).

Pikachu4170
Jun 24, 2013, 07:45 AM
No, lol/ it's people being stupid. The beta (beta 1) will expire JULI 24th, wich will leave your phone unusable (unless you update, bricking is nearly impossible nowadays).

Wait... IT WAS IN JULY?!?!?!?

Shoot, I setted my calendar wrong...

Maybe I read the forums fast...

Gotta slow down.

Shrink
Jun 24, 2013, 07:46 AM

Was this rumor real?

Are you asking whether it was a real rumor, as opposed to a fake rumor. Or are you asking if the rumor was accurate. And since it was a rumor, by definition, no one knows if it was "real", or accurate..

Also...source of rumor, please.:D

Pikachu4170
Jun 24, 2013, 07:51 AM
Are you asking whether it was a real rumor, as opposed to a fake rumor. Or are you asking if the rumor was accurate. And since it was a rumor, by definition, no one knows if it was "real", or accurate..

Also...source of rumor, please.:D

Currently, I don't remember the source.

But I noticed it was JULY 24th than June 24.

I kinda skip lines...

----------

Can anyone close this thread? I realized it was in JULY 24...

snappyfool
Jun 24, 2013, 07:52 AM
no, let's leave it open to further embarrass you

mcfly88
Jun 24, 2013, 07:53 AM
No this is true! I woke up today to my phone on the activation screen, downgrading as we speak :(

edit- I'm not being sarcastic by the way, not sure how prove it on a forum.. but this really happened.

tymaster50
Jun 24, 2013, 07:55 AM
Yeah I missed the update too. Damn it Apple, releasing it at 11:55pm and closing the window at 12:05 am. Now I have to restore my iPhone and sync all my music back :(

aimee.elizabeth
Jun 24, 2013, 08:03 AM
Yeah I missed the update too. Damn it Apple, releasing it at 11:55pm and closing the window at 12:05 am. Now I have to restore my iPhone and sync all my music back :(

what update?

tymaster50
Jun 24, 2013, 08:11 AM
what update?

Beta 2 duh

CB1234
Jun 24, 2013, 08:13 AM
what update?

It's a 'RUMOURED' update, to brick your phone. A 'bricked' phone is secure against any threat...

gomoq13
Jun 24, 2013, 08:13 AM
Beta 2 is out?

masands
Jun 24, 2013, 08:16 AM
Got an update!!!! Here we go again.

Praying for new icons!

tymaster50
Jun 24, 2013, 08:18 AM
Got an update!!!! Here we go again.

Praying for new icons!

Lol if anyone falls for this

masands
Jun 24, 2013, 08:20 AM
Lol if anyone falls for this

bah was just playing along. You ruined it.

tymaster50
Jun 24, 2013, 08:22 AM
bah was just playing along. You ruined it.

No you ruined it. Your post and my post make no sense since they would usually see mines first lol

Compile 'em all
Jun 24, 2013, 08:28 AM
If you aren't a developer you shouldn't install it. And if you are a developer, you shouldn't worry about any bricking.

WordMasterRice
Jun 24, 2013, 08:55 AM
If you aren't a developer you shouldn't install it. And if you are a developer, you shouldn't worry about any bricking.

And why is that?

mcfly88
Jun 24, 2013, 08:57 AM
Did this really not happen to anyone else? I'm being 100% serious, woke up and my phone was in the activation screen. had to restore back to ios 6.

kabs1
Jun 24, 2013, 09:54 AM
No this rumour is not true!

KieranDotW
Jun 24, 2013, 10:54 AM
Did this really not happen to anyone else? I'm being 100% serious, woke up and my phone was in the activation screen. had to restore back to ios 6.

This hasn't happened to me, but now you've all got me scared. If it does happen will it just be as simple as restoring back to iOS 6 or does your iPhone become genuinely unusable?

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 24, 2013, 10:57 AM
This hasn't happened to me, but now you've all got me scared. If it does happen will it just be as simple as restoring back to iOS 6 or does your iPhone become genuinely unusable?

If this were true, it might make downgrading harder for "some" people. That is not the same as "bricking," which makes a device inoperable and worthy of the trash.

KieranDotW
Jun 24, 2013, 10:59 AM
If this were true, it might make downgrading harder for "some" people. That is not the same as "bricking," which makes a device inoperable and worthy of the trash.

So would the best move in this situation be to downgrade before Beta 2 is released?

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 24, 2013, 11:02 AM
So would the best move in this situation be to downgrade before Beta 2 is released?

I see no need to downgrade at this moment in time. If your UDID is registered, you shouldn't have any problems. If its not, beta 1 is still valid until July 24th I believe.

Don't let some internet rumor scare you.

GoCubsGo
Jun 24, 2013, 11:05 AM

This seems to be your opinion as it is not my experience. My beta expired with iOS 6 and it was incredibly easy to get to a computer and simply downgrade back to iOS 5. It was not hard. The hardest part was that the beta expired while I wasn't home and had to wait to get home before I had my phone again. I survived. ;)

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 24, 2013, 11:11 AM
This seems to be your opinion as it is not my experience. My beta expired with iOS 6 and it was incredibly easy to get to a computer and simply downgrade back to iOS 5. It was not hard. The hardest part was that the beta expired while I wasn't home and had to wait to get home before I had my phone again. I survived. ;)

I was mainly referring to people who downloaded a file off the interwebs somewhere and installed it, without having a registered UDID.

Granted, something like that happening is slim, but it has happened to a few people here trying to downgrade after installing iOS 7. Whether it was due to user error or some unknown bug, I don't know. Either way, rumors like what the OP is asking about are not something I am worried about. For all we know, the rumor was started on Twitter or some other social network, as a means for scammers to get more money selling UDID's.

mcfly88
Jun 24, 2013, 11:43 AM
I re-installed iOS 7 and its fine now, but decided to register my UDID this time around. Not sure how to prove im not a "scammer", but woke up and my phone was on the activation screen.. when I tried to get past it, it told me my device wasn't part of the program (obviously). I then had to restore back iOS 6. I hope for the sake of everyone else, it was just a random bug that caused this and not Apple blocking users. either way, very weird.

saving107
Jun 24, 2013, 12:00 PM

This happened to my mom and I, both iPhone 5 on iOS 6, so I don't think this has anything to do with iOS 7 beta.

I downgraded back to iOS 6 2 days ago and my mom just got the iPhone 5 less than a week ago, she was never on iOS 7 and around 1am both our phones went into DFU mode randomly.

goMac
Jun 24, 2013, 12:41 PM

Was this rumor real?

I dunno about the date, but every phone on every iOS beta has a brick date. All the betas are time limited.