PDA

View Full Version : BBC iPlayer App ->(Airplay)-> ATV results in "An error has occurred"

melvynadam
Jun 24, 2013, 08:17 AM
I am outside the UK but using BBC iPlayer (via a VPN connection) on a 4th gen iPad as well as my iPhone 4. The playback is flawless - stutter free and crisp.

Yet, when I try to Airplay it to my Apple TV (3rd generation) I get an error on-screen: "An error has occurred".

I know I'm not the first to see (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1544935) this but I can't find answers. Anyone got a solution I can try?

institute
Jun 24, 2013, 08:23 AM
This happens often with the live feeds I find. Have never found a clear answer why.

f00b4r
Jun 25, 2013, 05:31 PM
This happens often with the live feeds I find. Have never found a clear answer why.

When you Airplay you remove the middle device like an iPad, so all of a sudden the BBC knows you are not in the UK.
If the ATV was configured for the unblock service as well then it should work.

institute
Jun 25, 2013, 05:57 PM
Ahh, but it is. I use my ATV to receive US Netflix (outside of the US of course).

----------

I can also Airplay any bbc show that is archived rather than live streaming.

tomwilley
Jun 25, 2013, 07:05 PM
Because I use a DNS service (StreamVia) and modify the DNS server setting in my router to their DNS, anything that I connect to for iPlayer works well.

When you Airplay you remove the middle device like an iPad, so all of a sudden the BBC knows you are not in the UK.
If the ATV was configured for the unblock service as well then it should work.

dugbug
Jun 27, 2013, 08:09 AM
crackle used to do this a lot when it returned from playing an interstitial ad.
Does bbc player interrupt streams for ads? It may not have anything to do with your DNS, location, etc.