Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RagingGoat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I meant to open an old version of my project in xcode 5 and made a change to a xib file then realized that I had opened the newest version of my project by mistake. I then couldn't open the project in xcode 4.6.3 so I went back into xcode 5 opened the xib in IB and under Interface Builder Document, changed Opens in from Xcode 5.0 to Xcode 4.6. Then every time I tried to open the project in 4.6.3, xcode would crash before the project could open.

I made a copy of the project folder and now, even though all of the files are in the old project folder, none of them show in xcode 4.6 or 5 when I open the project. None of my images, class files, or anything are showing in xcode even though they are all still in the project folder.

Any ideas?

Duncan C

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Northern Virginia
I meant to open an old version of my project in xcode 5 and made a change to a xib file then realized that I had opened the newest version of my project by mistake. I then couldn't open the project in xcode 4.6.3 so I went back into xcode 5 opened the xib in IB and under Interface Builder Document, changed Opens in from Xcode 5.0 to Xcode 4.6. Then every time I tried to open the project in 4.6.3, xcode would crash before the project could open.

I made a copy of the project folder and now, even though all of the files are in the old project folder, none of them show in xcode 4.6 or 5 when I open the project. None of my images, class files, or anything are showing in xcode even though they are all still in the project folder.

Any ideas?

It sounds to me as though some or all of the files in your project got set up using absolute paths instead of relative paths. You almost always want all your project files to use relative paths (relative to the Xcode project file) so if you move the project folder everything still works.

I would suggest selecting your missing files one at a time in the file navigator, right clicking on them, selecting "show file inspector" and looking at the location entry in the identity and type section. You want your location to be "Relative" or "Relative to group."

RagingGoat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I would suggest selecting your missing files one at a time in the file navigator, right clicking on them, selecting "show file inspector" and looking at the location entry in the identity and type section. You want your location to be "Relative" or "Relative to group."

They don't show up in xcode at all. They are all in the folder with the xcodeproj file like they always have been but they don't come up in xcode when I open the project. I ended up just copying all of my files into a new project and got everything set up again and everything seems ok now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.