PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 Beta 2 Running On iPhone 4

hnic247
Jun 24, 2013, 01:17 PM
Whats the verdict ? Still ridiculously slow or any improvement at all performance wise?

tymaster50
Jun 24, 2013, 01:18 PM
I think due to the outdated hardware of the ip4 that it's safe to assume iOS 7 will be slow.

heyimandy
Jun 24, 2013, 01:32 PM
Yeah I'm assuming the iPhone 4 is not going to do at all well with this new OS. I had the Beta 1 and unfortunately it was just too sluggish. Curious to see if speed has improved in Beta 2.

buckers
Jun 24, 2013, 01:49 PM
I gave up with iOS 7 on my iPhone 4, just before the weekend. Curious to see if there have been any improvements, yet.

DJLC
Jun 24, 2013, 01:52 PM
I've been using iOS 7 daily on my iPhone 4 since the release of Beta 1.

Beta 1 was a little bit slow, and we didn't get transparency in the dock or in folders. Otherwise it sounded like I wasn't having any more trouble than anyone on a 4S or 5. It consistently worked well enough to be passable, and the new design was enough to make me want to keep it over iOS 6.

Beta 2 is definitely faster, and transparency has been enabled on the dock and in folders. It looks better, and is much smoother. That said, I only did the OTA update to beta 2 about 30 minutes ago.

buckers
Jun 24, 2013, 02:11 PM
The real deal-breaker for me was I couldn't seem to download music from iCloud. The cloud buttons next to the tracks in the music app had disappeared. Does anyone know where they moved to, or if this is just a bug? (Or if they're back now in Beta 2)

tomislavf
Jun 24, 2013, 02:17 PM
Does the GPS work in beta 2? (didn't in beta 1)

Populus
Jun 24, 2013, 04:17 PM
Glad to see that iOS 7 will be fairly good on our old iPhone 4 :)

Any pic or vid will be appreciated! :p

Thierry ba
Jun 24, 2013, 04:46 PM
I cannot believe my eyes. It runs almost perfectly smooth, safari tabs are super smooth now, dock is transparent, aswell as folders, no lag in keyboard. Theres hope for iOS7 on the 4. Well done Apple.

darki
Jun 24, 2013, 04:48 PM
I cannot believe my eyes. It runs almost perfectly smooth, safari tabs are super smooth now, dock is transparent, aswell as folders, no lag in keyboard. Theres hope for iOS7 on the 4. Well done Apple.

Pictures please. :)

futbalguy
Jun 24, 2013, 04:51 PM

I ran Beta 1 and 2 on IP4. The Beta 1 was hardly usable everyday. Tons of slowdown for any action. Beta 2 feels much closer to the speed of iOS 6. It is fast enough for every day use now. Upgrade, you wont regret.

rrares1996
Jun 24, 2013, 04:55 PM

Oh god, you just made my day, thank you for sharing your thoughts, as soon as I arrive home, I am gonna install ios 7 on my 4. Thank you soooo much, you rock!

Thierry ba
Jun 24, 2013, 05:07 PM

I'll upload when i get to my pc. Trust me, this is miles smoother than previous beta. There are some bugs even now (dock not changing colors without reboot, no folder opening animation when placed in dock, wallpaper black when returning from multitasking etc) but its almost perfect now in terms of smoothness. No lag in keyboard at all. Safari tabs scrolling perfectly. Amazing.

rrares1996
Jun 24, 2013, 05:09 PM
I'll upload when i get to my pc. Trust me, this is miles smoother than previous beta. There are some bugs even now (dock not changing colors without reboot, no folder animation when places in dock, wallpaper black when returning from multitasking etc) but its almost perfect now in terms of smoothness. No lag in keyboard at all. Safari tabs scrolling perfectly. Amazing.

GOD, I love you man! Tell us more!:D

Thierry ba
Jun 24, 2013, 05:11 PM
I'm not english native so I cannot find right words lol. :)

Bawstun
Jun 24, 2013, 05:16 PM

lol. The device itself is old but he internals are still quite capable of handling much more than they allow. Parallax for example would run fine on an iP4, because panoramic wallpapers do (or did, they seem to have removed it in beta 2, lol). Can't have pano wallpapers because you'll have others asking where is the Parallax, I suppose.

Populus
Jun 24, 2013, 05:19 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-S_G-bF64Ca0/T7YlvpiIn4I/AAAAAAAABJY/KXm5GQFYF8s/s1600/homer-yuju.png

mototriu
Jun 24, 2013, 05:50 PM
Downloading Beta 2 right now. Will report back with general performance improvements. Is there anything anyone would like me to test specifically?

ijohn.8.80
Jun 24, 2013, 07:41 PM
Good to hear it's running smoothly on the ol' 4 now. The wife was a bit disappointed that she may miss out on iOS7 not having a dual-core processor.

If you were running with a jailbreak before going to iOS7, let us know here how it's been for you. From what I've heard it been these folks who are having the biggest prolem's with glitches.

hnic247
Jun 24, 2013, 08:18 PM
runs so much better thank you apple!!!!

Populus
Jun 25, 2013, 12:47 AM
People using beta 2 on iPhone 4, could you tell me which of this transparency effects are enabled?

-Messages, top menu portion.
-Messages, keyboard transparency.
-Springboard spotlight box.
-Notification Center (dont confuse with Control Center).
-Music app, top menu portion.

żAre this transparencies the same quality as seen on iPhone 4S and iPhone 5?

Thank you so much ^^

Ram27
Jun 25, 2013, 12:52 AM
NC doesn't blur like it does on other devices.

It's transparent but it doesn't diffuse.

larsamannen
Jun 25, 2013, 06:47 AM
Does the GPS work in beta 2? (didn't in beta 1)

It's now working, both with "Maps" and Google Maps.

Beta 2 is much smoother but now I have being forced twice to do a hard reset on the phone since it freezes. Both times the phone was locked and the screen was black. When I pressed the home button to lighten up the display to see the clock, the screen didn't light up and the phone was "dead". Restarted it by pressing home button + power button for 10 sec. I did an OTA update. If it hangs once more then I will try to to a reinstall from the computer to see if that helps.

One other small bug I've found; the "unlock your PIN" screen does not always show up after a restart. I have to try to make a call to be asked to enter the PIN code.

EKCI
Jun 25, 2013, 06:59 AM
Beta 2 is working faster but it's still to slow for me...
Screenshot with new (ugly) dock:

Populus
Jun 25, 2013, 07:07 AM
So that's the new translucent dock from Beta 2, huh? :confused:

DJLC
Jun 25, 2013, 07:46 AM
People using beta 2 on iPhone 4, could you tell me which of this transparency effects are enabled?

-Messages, top menu portion.
-Messages, keyboard transparency.
-Springboard spotlight box.
-Notification Center (dont confuse with Control Center).
-Music app, top menu portion.

żAre this transparencies the same quality as seen on iPhone 4S and iPhone 5?

-Messages, top menu: Yes.
-Messages, keyboard: No?
-Springboard Spotlight: No.
-Notification Center: Yes?
-Music app: Yes?

Attaching screen grabs of iOS7, Beta 2 on my iPhone 4 (GSM 3,1) since I'm not sure how it compares to a 4S or 5. And since the max number of attachments is 5, apparently, here's a link to a shot of the Music app (https://imageshack.com/scaled/large/89/jmk.png).

tommy08
Jun 25, 2013, 07:55 AM
Good to hear it's running smoothly on the ol' 4 now. The wife was a bit disappointed that she may miss out on iOS7 not having a dual-core processor.

If you were running with a jailbreak before going to iOS7, let us know here how it's been for you. From what I've heard it been these folks who are having the biggest prolem's with glitches.

You do reliese that dual-core processor is hardware and depends on the phone.. the OS doesn't have processors .. -_-

DJLC
Jun 25, 2013, 07:57 AM
You do reliese that dual-core processor is hardware and depends on the phone.. the OS doesn't have processors .. -_-

You do realize he was referring to the fact that the iPhone 4 doesn't have a dual-core processor, and as a result one could have speculated that iOS 7 would either not run at all or run poorly on the iPhone 4.

Populus
Jun 25, 2013, 08:17 AM
@Tommy08 & DJLC: Also, keep in mind the A5 chip (4S microprocessor) has a 9 times faster GPU (maybe is partially marketing, BUT it's still quite more powerfull than the iPhone 4 GPU). So, there were reasonables uncertainties. I know that's what you're arguing, but I wanted to point it out :)

BTW: Thank you so much, DJLC. Can't believe you have transparen folders! It seems some people have translucid folders, others don't, and some others can't even enjoy the translucid dock.

I just found a video from some guy who has made a visual walkthroug of iOS 7 in his iPhone 4, and I think his folders are grey.

Check it out! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIYHlwMuH1g)

DJLC
Jun 25, 2013, 08:46 AM
@Tommy08 & DJLC: Also, keep in mind the A5 chip (4S microprocessor) has a 9 times faster GPU (maybe is partially marketing, BUT it's still quite more powerfull than the iPhone 4 GPU). So, there were reasonables uncertainties. I know that's what you're arguing, but I wanted to point it out :)

BTW: Thank you so much, DJLC. Can't believe you have transparen folders! It seems some people have translucid folders, others don't, and some others can't even enjoy the translucid dock.

Not a problem! To clarify, I didn't have the translucent dock or folders in Beta 1 — just solid grey. I did an OTA update to Beta 2 and they were enabled.

I do plan to get the iPhone 5S when it comes out — I wanted to get the 5 when it was released, but my contract with AT&T prevented that. Luckily my contract will be up by the time the 5S comes out. But in the meantime I'm pretty happy with iOS 7 on my iPhone 4. I was getting bored with it, and this was the breath of fresh air I needed! :)

RoboCop001
Jun 25, 2013, 09:00 AM
-Messages, top menu: Yes.
-Messages, keyboard: No?
-Springboard Spotlight: No.
-Notification Center: Yes?
-Music app: Yes?

Attaching screen grabs of iOS7, Beta 2 on my iPhone 4 (GSM 3,1) since I'm not sure how it compares to a 4S or 5. And since the max number of attachments is 5, apparently, here's a link to a shot of the Music app (https://imageshack.com/scaled/large/89/jmk.png).

This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing with us. I think I'll definitely be updating my 4 to iOS 7, even though I'll probably upgrade the phone this year anyway. I'm hoping it doesn't run any slower than iOS 6 on the 4.

ijohn.8.80
Jun 25, 2013, 05:04 PM

Yes, that's a given. :rolleyes:

The iPhone 4 does not have a dual-core processor. Our concern was that maybe the single core processor iPhones were going to go the way of the dinosaur, like what happened to their bigger brothers, the laptops and desktops a few years ago.

Thanks to those above that pointed out our line of thinking, I just thought I'd expand on it a bit, being as I haven't had my first coffee yet this morning.

enalgre
Jun 25, 2013, 08:59 PM
I'll install it :apple::apple:

fortheus
Jun 26, 2013, 02:08 AM
Not a problem! To clarify, I didn't have the translucent dock or folders in Beta 1 — just solid grey. I did an OTA update to Beta 2 and they were enabled.

I do plan to get the iPhone 5S when it comes out — I wanted to get the 5 when it was released, but my contract with AT&T prevented that. Luckily my contract will be up by the time the 5S comes out. But in the meantime I'm pretty happy with iOS 7 on my iPhone 4. I was getting bored with it, and this was the breath of fresh air I needed! :)

Try change the wallpaper then reboot your phone. It's translucent. Likely the method they use is take snapshot of the wallpaper + mix it with translucency then save as new image. That's why it's not refreshed (bug) when you change wallpaper or didn't reboot the phone

Bug at my iphone:
- sometimes slow when open apps
- weather apps crash when try to remove location
- sometimes the status bar (signal strength, time, etc) show up in both horizontal mode and vertical
- phone, the favorite list get hidden under the status bar.
- during phone call, the green tab (tap to return to call) keep active while actually the current active apps is phone. Rightfully it's only shown if phone apps is in background

JonnieLott
Jun 27, 2013, 04:30 PM
How's notifications for all y'all? I get multiple sometimes, mostly using Messenger and Kik. Anyone else?

seble
Jun 28, 2013, 01:23 AM
Sounds like a mixed back to me tbh, I may just upgrade my phone rather then upgrading the OS of my phone...