Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ageofempires-1.jpg
According to a report by the Nikkei (via Reuters), Microsoft is planning on bringing a number of its Xbox and Windows games to the iPhone as soon as later this year.

Microsoft has partnered up with Japanese gaming firm KLab Inc. to port its games over to both iOS and Android.
Microsoft Corp will offer its console and computer games for Apple Inc's iPhone and other smartphone platforms this fiscal year, through a tie-up with Japanese smartphone game maker Klab Inc, the Nikkei said on Monday.

Through a licensing deal, Klab will bring Microsoft's Xbox and Windows-based computer games to the iPhone and smartphones using Google Inc's Android operating system, according to the Nikkei.
Age of Empires is said to be one of the first to arrive, with Reuters saying it will be a free-to-play game expected by the end of fiscal 2013.

Article Link: Microsoft to Bring Some Xbox and PC Games to the iPhone, 'Age of Empires' Expected First

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
A classic

This is awesome. I'm in.

Now, hopefully the new APIs let Nintendo build a controller like the one from NES, and re-release classics on iOS. I'd pay lots of money for those oldies!

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Wow, AoE is my fav Microsoft game. Too bad it wouldn't play so well on iPhone. I'd expect this to be an iPad only game or a tablet only game on Android. I guess I could buy it for my Touchpad with Cyanogen mod. :)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Age of Empires is said to be one of the first to arrive, with Reuters saying it will be a free-to-play game expected by the end of fiscal 2013.

Bleh. Pass. I love this new age terminology "free to play" games. Yeah, it's about as enjoyable playing in free mode as it was pretending to play an arcade game in demo mode when you were out of tokens.

----------

Does this mean Microsoft is giving up on making a phone themselves?

No it means they are not going to discriminate against OSes when it comes to pocket picking.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Why is Age of Empires III on the article? AoE III is very, very different from the original AoE, and it kinda sucks.

Forget it. I want Age of Empires II HD on Mac already. Best strategy game since chess. AoE was a pretty good game, but nothing comes close to AoE II.

----------

so we get the games and the windows phone doesn't LOL

Hehehe :p

----------

Original Halo please. My god, that would be so sick...

*Ahem* Halo 3.

M

Mr.damien

I am sorry but the title is wrong. Microsoft don't do ****, they allowed licensing of their games. Not the same thing at all.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
srsly?
I'd be all over AOE on IOS. I wonder if we will just get AOE III or if we will get the previous versions and the expansions as well. Some of the expansions on the first two were the best versions of the game.
Rise of Rome is actually my favorite of all of the versions. I feel like the later versions sacrificed gameplay and strategic possibilities for killer graphics and cinematics.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.