Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Powertoola

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
anyone else noticed, some icons display a preview of the app rather than the icon it's supposed to show ?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Has anyone tried restarting to see if that might fix the issue?

tornego

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
Maybe it's not broken, maybe the'll start experimenting with live icons, I'd appreciate that. :D

rlambie

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
iOS 7 iPad broken app icons

I can confirm the same problem. Currently affected apps are:

• Chrome
  • MailBox
  • PhotoStackr for 500px
  • Linkedin
  • Full Fitness HD
  • Web Albums
  • BBC News
  • Feedly
  • WWDC
  • PocketCloud
  • Citrix Receiver
  • FedEx Mobile
  • Woolworths
  • Units
  • Timeanddate Timer

All these apps show an image of their splash/first screen as the icon. Not sure what they have in common, but they all seem to be webapp style apps.

They may have been built using a common set of tools.

Also, restarting the iPad didn't affect it.

I Re-installed one app, PhotoStackr, to see what affect that had. That was interesting. It showed the correct app icon during the install, with the progress bar overlaid on the icon. Once the install was complete, the progress bar was removed and the icon reverted to screenshot of the application splash page.

I think it is related to the live-icon functionality in some way, but smarter folk than I will need to work out how.

justdep

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
I can confirm the same problem. Currently affected apps are:

• Chrome
  • MailBox
  • PhotoStackr for 500px
  • Linkedin
  • Full Fitness HD
  • Web Albums
  • BBC News
  • Feedly
  • WWDC
  • PocketCloud
  • Citrix Receiver
  • FedEx Mobile
  • Woolworths
  • Units
  • Timeanddate Timer

All these apps show an image of their splash/first screen as the icon. Not sure what they have in common, but they all seem to be webapp style apps.

They may have been built using a common set of tools.

Also, restarting the iPad didn't affect it.

I Re-installed one app, PhotoStackr, to see what affect that had. That was interesting. It showed the correct app icon during the install, with the progress bar overlaid on the icon. Once the install was complete, the progress bar was removed and the icon reverted to screenshot of the application splash page.

I think it is related to the live-icon functionality in some way, but smarter folk than I will need to work out how.

Those apps are consistent with the apps on my iPad that are broken. Seems to be consistent with each app from device to device.

FWIW I've tried restarting and re-installing the broken apps.

Here's a screenshot showing Chrome and Mailbox: http://db.tt/mLrY1GGo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.