PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 B2, better battery, yes or no?

naasrd
Jun 24, 2013, 02:48 PM
I'm finding a marked improvement at this early stage. Nothing major but certainly not what I was getting over the last few days. How's everyone else finding it?

Gjwilly
Jun 24, 2013, 02:49 PM
No one could possibly have anything meaningful to contribute after only 2-hours.
;)

Risco
Jun 24, 2013, 02:50 PM
So there was an englishmen, and irishman and a scotsman....

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 24, 2013, 02:50 PM
No one could possibly have anything meaningful to contribute after only 2-hours.
;)
True. Give it 48hrs or so OP.

Coleman2010
Jun 24, 2013, 03:32 PM
I'll let you know later once I'm off the charge cable.

WhackyNinja
Jun 24, 2013, 03:33 PM
Yes! For me I've noticed somewhat of an improvement

Edit: Actually its been a HUGE improvement

Chazz08
Jun 24, 2013, 03:35 PM
I'm finding a marked improvement at this early stage. Nothing major but certainly not what I was getting over the last few days. How's everyone else finding it?

I've actually noticed a HUGE improvement. Usually I leave my house around 8 to go out and my battery dies by 11. Tonight, it's 11:30 here and I still have 62% left. AND my phone is not super hot! Extremely thankful for these fixes.

WhackyNinja
Jun 24, 2013, 03:37 PM
I've actually noticed a HUGE improvement. Usually I leave my house around 8 to go out and my battery dies by 11. Tonight, it's 11:30 here and I still have 62% left. AND my phone is not super hot! Extremely thankful for these fixes.

Same here!

macbook-dan
Jun 24, 2013, 03:38 PM
sadly, 2 hours would probably be enough to know if it's better. Installing now, fingers crossed.

recklesslife85
Jun 24, 2013, 03:56 PM
Much better for me so far while in use. Was draining like mad before but now its to what it was like with iOS6.

thegrants82
Jun 24, 2013, 04:20 PM
Almost an hour and a half of usage and I'm still at 91%. So far it appears to be better than beta one and much better than iOS 6 for me. Very smooth and very stable. I did not upgrade I installed the full beta 2 from the Dev site. The full install for beta 2 is over 1.2 gig but it's gonna be much better than upgrading from Beta one. Beta 1 was more than good enough to be my daily driver and Beta 2 is even better. Don't upgrade, do the full install with beta 2.

GenesisST
Jun 24, 2013, 04:21 PM
Did you guys that report better battery life did a fresh install or restored from a backup?

thegrants82
Jun 24, 2013, 04:22 PM
Did you guys that report better battery life did a fresh install or restored from a backup?

Full install. Never upgrade or OTA with betas.

C DM
Jun 24, 2013, 04:25 PM
Full install. Never upgrade or OTA with betas.Plenty of people upgrade and generally via OTA without any issues.

thegrants82
Jun 24, 2013, 04:27 PM
Plenty of people upgrade and generally via OTA without any issues.

You won't say that the couple days when everybody starts posting their battery screen shots. We just went through two weeks of this with beta-1, nothing is changed

mavis
Jun 24, 2013, 04:28 PM
I did mine OTA (figured it's part of testing!) and after the OTA did a full settings reset (old habits for hard) and it seems to be working well for me.

filmfanatic24
Jun 24, 2013, 04:28 PM
I did an OTA update and I'm seeing better battery life, because most days I would have non by now.

Robert M.
Jun 24, 2013, 04:33 PM
My iPhone 5 has been at 100% (on standby) for three hours. On the first beta it would die in six hours even in standby. So I'm noticing a HUGE improvement. Although, the first time I restored from a backup and this time I didn't do that. So that could've been the problem. ;)

thegrants82
Jun 24, 2013, 04:34 PM
I did an OTA update and I'm seeing better battery life, because most days I would have non by now.

I guess it's going to take a couple days before everybody realizes that the full install is the only way to go. Kind of weird having to do this every time they release a new beta but it is what it is.

Tee00max
Jun 24, 2013, 04:37 PM
I know it hasnt been long but I can already see a big difference with the battery life. I do know that for a fact.

Dick Whitman
Jun 24, 2013, 04:41 PM
Almost an hour and a half of usage and I'm still at 91%. So far it appears to be better than beta one and much better than iOS 6 for me. Very smooth and very stable. I did not upgrade I installed the full beta 2 from the Dev site. The full install for beta 2 is over 1.2 gig but it's gonna be much better than upgrading from Beta one. Beta 1 was more than good enough to be my daily driver and Beta 2 is even better. Don't upgrade, do the full install with beta 2.

Will full installing to Beta 2 work if you do NOT have a developer account?

thegrants82
Jun 24, 2013, 04:42 PM
Will full installing to Beta 2 work if you do NOT have a developer account?

Nope.

C DM
Jun 24, 2013, 04:43 PM
You won't say that the couple days when everybody starts posting their battery screen shots. We just went through two weeks of this with beta-1, nothing is changedWhile there were certainly people with some type of battery-related issues with beta 1, just as it is often the case with pretty much any updates, plenty of people didn't experience them either. More than likely the same will apply to beta 2, and other updates, as is usually the case (short of some sort of actual widespread battery problem in the update itself, which can be the case of course, but often isn't).

tooshaggy
Jun 24, 2013, 04:46 PM
Batter life seems to be a bit better.
And if you want to potentially brick your phone, go ahead and install OS7 without a developer account! I accidentally installed it on a phone I did not have the ICCID registered on and it was a bit of a pain to fix.

PS: I did the full install, not OTA.

C DM
Jun 24, 2013, 04:47 PM
And if you want to potentially brick your phone, go ahead and install OS7 without a developer account! I accidentally installed it on a phone I did not have the ICCID registered on and it was a bit of a pain to fix.And many many others did it without any issues.

filmfanatic24
Jun 24, 2013, 04:47 PM
I'll run with the OTA for a few days and see if it's better. If I don't notice a different I'll try a fresh install and see how that goes.

Shockwave78
Jun 24, 2013, 04:49 PM
Only had it a couple hours now but yes, HUGE improvement noticed..

egraphixstudios
Jun 24, 2013, 05:01 PM
Are people restoring backups or just plain IOS7?

photogpab
Jun 24, 2013, 06:05 PM
I know it's only the first few hours but my battery seems to be doing just as poorly as ever.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ild45c.jpg

Actually maybe worse.

thegrants82
Jun 24, 2013, 06:09 PM
I know it's only the first few hours but my battery seems to be doing just as poorly as ever.

Image (http://i44.tinypic.com/2ild45c.jpg)

Actually maybe worse.

That's not too bad but it's not too good either

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 24, 2013, 06:11 PM
Usage 3hrs 50 minutes
Standby 4hrs 17 minutes
65% left

Have been running iTunes radio, with a lot of surfing and multitasking. Had bluetooth on temporarily. Have been on home wifi with cellular data on (weak cellular signal). Also did several speed test.

photogpab
Jun 24, 2013, 06:14 PM
That's not too bad but it's not too good either

Ive never experiences battery like this on my iPhone 5. For the first time I actually need to charge my phone twice a day (or more)

thegrants82
Jun 24, 2013, 06:19 PM
Usage 3hrs 50 minutes
Standby 4hrs 17 minutes
65% left

Have been running iTunes radio, with a lot of surfing and multitasking. Had bluetooth on temporarily. Have been on home wifi with cellular data on (weak cellular signal). Also did several speed test.
Nice. I was over 4 hours usage at around 50% with using maps for about 45 minutes driving around. This is blowing away ios6 and beta 1 battery times for me so far!

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 24, 2013, 06:22 PM
Nice. I was over 4 hours usage at around 50% with using maps for about 45 minutes driving around. This is blowing away ios6 and beta 1 battery times for me so far!

Interested to see over the rest of the week, if I get 7 - 8 hrs of use like I had been with beta 1.

NM08SRT8
Jun 24, 2013, 06:54 PM
;)

Battery drain was pretty drastic after just a hour. If after 2 hrs it's not draining as fast, I'd say that's a improvement to me..

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 24, 2013, 08:11 PM
This is since I installed beta 2 this afternoon. My previous post speaks of the type of usage today. I am not putting too much stock in this one charge. But, I thought others would be interested. It has been a noticeable improvement over beta 1 thus far.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g37/basicgreatguy/battery5_zps1178d365.png (http://s52.photobucket.com/user/basicgreatguy/media/battery5_zps1178d365.png.html)

Dick Whitman
Jun 24, 2013, 08:34 PM
Still experiencing horrendous battery life and a very warm phone. My phone was literally dropped 8% in minutes. Wtf is it doing that's cause it to work so hard? I need to restore, and not update, from iOS 7 but because I don't have a developer account I think it will lock me out.

----------

This is since I installed beta 2 this afternoon. My previous post speaks of the type of usage today. I am not putting too much stock in this one charge. But, I thought others would be interested. It has been a noticeable improvement over beta 1 thus far.

Image (http://s52.photobucket.com/user/basicgreatguy/media/battery5_zps1178d365.png.html)

That's absolutely phenomenal. Never on iPhone 5, not even on iOS 6, did I experience battery life like that. The most I ever got was 5 hours.

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 24, 2013, 08:35 PM
Still experiencing horrendous battery life and a very warm phone. My phone was literally dropped 8% in minutes. Wtf is it doing that's cause it to work so hard? I need to restore, and not update, from iOS 7 but because I don't have a developer account I think it will lock me out.

----------

That's absolutely phenomenal. Never on iPhone 5, not even on iOS 6, did I experience battery life like that. The most I ever got was 5 hours.

What do you have turned off right now, Dick?

CaptHenryMorgan
Jun 24, 2013, 08:41 PM
And if you want to potentially brick your phone, go ahead and install OS7 without a developer account! I accidentally installed it on a phone I did not have the ICCID registered on and it was a bit of a pain to fix.

A pain to fix if you don't know what you're doing. YOu only need the 6.1.4 ipsw file, put your iPhone into DFU mode and hold down Option when clicking Restore in iTunes. Simple.

Dick Whitman
Jun 24, 2013, 08:47 PM
What do you have turned off right now, Dick?

Pretty much everything. All the usual suspects anyway. Locations, Wifi, Bluetooth, etc. The funny thing is I know it's none of that stuff because the people who have reported great battery life have also reported having all of those settings ON. I honestly believe that updating (rather than restoring) to iOS 7 is the problem. When you guys installed iOS 7 did you have both the new and old iOS 6 wallpapers? I think this weird merging of iOS 6 and 7 has something to do with the battery drain.

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 24, 2013, 09:01 PM
Pretty much everything. All the usual suspects anyway. Locations, Wifi, Bluetooth, etc. The funny thing is I know it's none of that stuff because the people who have reported great battery life have also reported having all of those settings ON. I honestly believe that updating (rather than restoring) to iOS 7 is the problem. When you guys installed iOS 7 did you have both the new and old iOS 6 wallpapers? I think this weird merging of iOS 6 and 7 has something to do with the battery drain.

No old stuff. I had all new after the installation was complete. It sounds like you would benefit from a clean install.

roland.g
Jun 24, 2013, 09:10 PM
I didn't charge mine fully and took it off the charger about 3 hours ago. Still at 84%. Before Beta 2 it would drain 20% in 1 hour in my pocket.

Never did a clean install, wanted all my stuff from a backup, SMS, etc. my upgrade today was OTA.

Dick Whitman
Jun 24, 2013, 09:16 PM
No old stuff. I had all new after the installation was complete. It sounds like you would benefit from a clean install.

The only problem is that I think a clean install will lock me out as I am not a developer.

tremlock
Jun 24, 2013, 09:28 PM
Phone is definitely not as hot as beta 1

photogpab
Jun 24, 2013, 09:29 PM

everyone talks about a "clean install" being this miracle cure and it wasnt for me. i did a full clean install and my battery is still draining quickly.

its bizarre to me how drastically different results have been from one person to the next.

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 24, 2013, 09:37 PM
everyone talks about a "clean install" being this miracle cure and it wasnt for me. i did a full clean install and my battery is still draining quickly.

its bizarre to me how drastically different results have been from one person to the next.

I don't think there is any such thing a miracle cure in a beta. As you said, different results for different people. There are a lot of variables involved.

Whenever possible, I believe it is wise to do a clean install of the OS, instead of updating over current system files. Things can get fubar that way.

I just crossed the 7hr usage mark, with almost 8hrs standby and 40% battery left. My phone hasn't left the house today. Tomorrow, I don't expect to get quite as good battery life when I am out and about, as one of the places I will be is a bad cell area and weak wifi.

I do think there are a lot of things people leave running on their phone all the time, that does drain their battery, whether its beta or iOS 6. If we can help with that in either OS, that is a good thing in my book.

mikeydeezy
Jun 24, 2013, 10:19 PM
Noticing a nice improvement so far. A 5 minute phone call and 30 minutes of wifi browsing and I'm still at 97%.

I'm happy.

MaxMike
Jun 25, 2013, 12:04 AM
Much better for me so far while in use. Was draining like mad before but now its to what it was like with iOS6.

Same happened with me. Went through 50% after like 2.5 hours. But after that it's staying much higher now

nooaah
Jun 25, 2013, 12:14 AM
My battery is significantly better both with a backup and a factory install

AgentElliot007
Jun 25, 2013, 12:19 AM
What's nuts to me is that the first day beta 1 came out, my battery life was terrible. I did a clean restore and just ran stock apps to see if it would be better, no luck. So I just restored again from my backup and figured if it was really bad, I'd just switch to 6. Somewhere along day two or three, battery life stopped being an issue. I don't know how to explain it, but it was a night and day difference in performance for seemingly no apparent reason.

aimee.elizabeth
Jun 25, 2013, 12:26 AM

I have beta 2 on my phone without a developer's account. It's working great, it's not on fire, hasn't exploded, hasn't been bricked.

snappyfool
Jun 25, 2013, 12:29 AM
Full install. Never upgrade or OTA with betas.

Or, y'know, you could actually test the betas by installing them in different ways so you can report issues with each method.

Naor
Jun 25, 2013, 04:16 AM
After a heavy usage

bbfc
Jun 25, 2013, 04:21 AM
I would say that it is slightly better on my 4S, but not much.

gomoq13
Jun 25, 2013, 04:34 AM
My iPhone 4S is still at 100% with those settings enabled (Parallax, Location Services, etc). It has been on standby for 1 and a half hours and has been used for 30 minutes. If it was still on beta 1 (with many settings disabled), the battery would have been 95% or lesser by now. Not sure yet for my iPad 3 as I am still charging it to 100%.

kevingaffney
Jun 25, 2013, 05:37 AM
Have a half day done here at work, usual usage few phone calls, emails texts. Spectacular improvement on beta 1. Actually looking like battery may be better than ios6. Aside from a few 3rd party apps not fully functional, I wouldnt notice this is a beta. Great job apple

Defender2010
Jun 25, 2013, 05:52 AM

Accidently? Yeah right. There are no accidents when you deliberately download an IPSW and install it on a device.

w0mbat
Jun 25, 2013, 05:53 AM
My iPhone 5 gave great battery life under beta 1 but I have found a weird issue this morning.

My headphone remote wasn't working so I powered off and back on again to clear this. Immediately after the restart I noticed that the phone itself got very hot and the percentage dropped dramatically. Once I typed in my iCloud password (it was prompting for it but I'd missed as I just started playing music again) the phone cooled off and it returned to normal.

Maybe in my case it is going mad constantly polling the iCloud services and failing until I put in a valid password? :confused: Only mentioning it in case it helps someone in the same situation....

Jimrod
Jun 25, 2013, 06:10 AM
Same as Beta 1 for me, I already turn off all the crap that drains battery (including 3G as signal is patchy here) and after unplugging at 6am and occasional use, nothing heavy, it's at 81% at 12pm. iOS 6 would have been at around 95% from memory so still a little poor but not terrible.

arranjenks
Jun 25, 2013, 06:14 AM

Definite improvement!

SWIFTY1293
Jun 25, 2013, 07:00 AM
I did OTA update, Great improvement for me im on 74% with general use on and off use for around 6 hours. (iPhone 5) This time yesterday I was charging it again put it that way!

KeanosMagicHat
Jun 25, 2013, 07:03 AM
Too early for me to say as the usage minutes display is proving erratic on my 4S on both Beta 1 and now Beta 2. It doesn't always display after a full charge.

I could always time it manually I guess, but I'll wait and hopefully it'll kick in after the next charge.

illyb2000
Jun 25, 2013, 07:22 AM
Phone still heats up same as before on normal usage; updated OTA, also battery has went from 100 to 72 since 7am and it's now 13.21

Now 13.36 and battery at 66 with some light net browsing

13.43 and 60 with no use - looks like same issues with mines anyway

VSMacOne
Jun 25, 2013, 10:18 AM
Well, my battery life was really bad in Beta 1 so I was planning on doing a fresh install when beta 2 came out. However, I think i'm going to hold off on that. It seems that even without a clean install, beta 2 brought much better battery life. Obviously it'll take a few days to see just how much better it is, but so far it's solid! This was a few hours of both on and off wifi, some games, a lot of Safari browsing and Teeetbot, plus some
email.

hellomoto4
Jun 25, 2013, 10:30 AM
Accidently? Yeah right. There are no accidents when you deliberately download an IPSW and install it on a device.

You're joking right? Clearly this guy had simply forgotten to register his UDID onto the dev portal and mistakenly attempted to install firstly. In fact, I almost did the same today when updating my iPad. It's not normally linked as I only develop for iPhone. Luckily, I remembered just before installing.

--

As for my battery life, it has obviously only been a day, but I'm sitting on 15% at 1:30am (Australian time). Definitely a huge increase over beta 1, but still not at the iOS 6.x stage. Can't wait to see it improve as beta iterations continue.

Dick Whitman
Jun 25, 2013, 11:29 AM
Please help I am literally losing 1% of battery life every 2 minutes and my phone is very warm. I don't understand what is draining the battery.

filmfanatic24
Jun 25, 2013, 11:33 AM
Please help I am literally losing 1% of battery life every 2 minutes and my phone is very warm. I don't understand what is draining the battery.

Maybe try and do a hard reset (hold lock and home button down together until it reboots)?

Dick Whitman
Jun 25, 2013, 11:42 AM
Maybe try and do a hard reset (hold lock and home button down together until it reboots)?

Ok just tried that and resetting my network settings but don't seem to be having much luck. I have been having poor battery issues since iOS 7 beta 1 and very average (5 hours max) battery issues on iOS 6.1.4. Each time I've installed I've set my phone up as a new device. I honestly think the iOS 7 trouble is because I upgraded and did not fully restore when installing iOS 7. I would restore to iOS 7 but I'm pretty sure others have said that unless you're a developer this method will lock you out.

sou1 so1di3r
Jun 25, 2013, 11:50 AM
muuch better for me... AT&T iPhone 5

grockk
Jun 25, 2013, 11:53 AM
Ok just tried that and resetting my network settings but don't seem to be having much luck. I have been having poor battery issues since iOS 7 beta 1 and very average (5 hours max) battery issues on iOS 6.1.4. Each time I've installed I've set my phone up as a new device. I honestly think the iOS 7 trouble is because I upgraded and did not fully restore when installing iOS 7. I would restore to iOS 7 but I'm pretty sure others have said that unless you're a developer this method will lock you out.

I would restore to iOS 6 and bring into an apple store. I had a always warm, usage=standby time, terrible battery life phone and ended up one of the battery cells was bad and bulging. they replaced it.

Tmelon
Jun 25, 2013, 11:54 AM
Much better on Sprint 4S. On beta 1 it would be at 100% before I left for work and then dead before I left with low to moderate use. After installing it yesterday I still had over 30% battery left.

Dick Whitman
Jun 25, 2013, 11:59 AM
I would restore to iOS 6 and bring into an apple store. I had a always warm, usage=standby time, terrible battery life phone and ended up one of the battery cells was bad and bulging. they replaced it.

oh wow and this is actually my third iPhone. I traded in the other two because of the slightly yellow tinted screen issue during launch. with all three iPhones I had the same poor battery life and I've always been amazed that some have claimed to get 8-9 hours

DDustiNN
Jun 25, 2013, 01:29 PM
Yes, much better battery life with beta 2. Also my phone is no longer becoming ridiculously hot for no reason. It's been nice and cool the whole time so far. Very happy, as that was my biggest complaint.

papa8706
Jun 25, 2013, 02:03 PM
Can someone clarify the clean install/restore. I keep hearing about improved battery results. After restoring can I sync my backup or does that defeat the purpose of restoring?

jamesjingyi
Jun 25, 2013, 02:06 PM
Can someone clarify the clean install/restore. I keep hearing about improved battery results. After restoring can I sync my backup or does that defeat the purpose of restoring?

If you Option+click on 'Update', it will update it without loss of data. You can also do over the air updates, which will not affect files or Apps.

----------

Seems better and a lot less laggy :) I hope it stays like that... No longer try and press a letter on the keyboard and then press it again cuz I think the phone hasn't recognised it and then 5 'i's appear...

DDustiNN
Jun 25, 2013, 02:07 PM

I did the OTA update yesterday and everything has been perfectly fine, especially the much improved battery life. Anyone recommending otherwise is just paranoid. I'd only resort to a "clean" install if you are having problems afterward.

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 25, 2013, 02:08 PM
I did the OTA upgrade yesterday. Battery has been a lot better than beta 1. I am in the process of doing a fresh install. That way, if something starts acting weird, I don't have to wonder about it being part of the upgrade equation.

batting1000
Jun 25, 2013, 02:12 PM
I did the OTA upgrade yesterday. Battery has been a lot better than beta 1. I am in the process of doing a fresh install. That way, if something starts acting weird, I don't have to wonder about it being part of the upgrade equation.

OTA'd yesterday as well and just restored earlier to see if that fixes some things as well.

papa8706
Jun 25, 2013, 02:12 PM
If you Option+click on 'Update', it will update it without loss of data. You can also do over the air updates, which will not affect files or Apps.

Thanks, I installed beta1 by updating in itunes and did the beta 2 OTA but my battery has been brutal. About 15 percent drop per 30 mins of use. I understand beta battery life will suffer but all the talk about restoring and doing a clean install has me thinking of giving it a shot.

Can you install a backup after restoring or will that essentially defeat the purpose?

batting1000
Jun 25, 2013, 02:14 PM
Thanks, I installed beta1 by updating in itunes and did the beta 2 OTA but my battery has been brutal. About 15 percent drop per 30 mins of use. I understand beta battery life will suffer but all the talk about restoring and doing a clean install has me thinking of giving it a shot.

Can you install a backup after restoring or will that essentially defeat the purpose?

It would probably defeat the purpose.

ReallyOldGuy
Jun 25, 2013, 02:48 PM
iPhone 5, Beta 2 clean install, restore from iCloud backup. Phone is as cool as can be now with great battery life, better than 6. iPad 3 same set up process, seems about the same as 6 on battery life:cool: I'm pleased with this Beta much better than Beta 5,6.

solace
Jun 25, 2013, 03:09 PM
clean beta 2 install on an iPhone 5... got 3.5 hours of usage before it died this morning is all :(

was getting 4.5-5 on Beta 1 (on iOS 6 i get about 6-8)

:o

filmfanatic24
Jun 25, 2013, 03:10 PM
I did a fresh install of Beta 2 last night and did NOT restore a backup:

50% left

3 hours use
8 hours standby

The majority of the use time was on wifi.

dictoresno
Jun 25, 2013, 03:48 PM
I still can't decide if I want to risk beta 2, given the bad battery life of beta 1. Keep the results coming!

Coleman2010
Jun 25, 2013, 03:52 PM
I'll let you know later once I'm off the charge cable.

Battery life has improved for me over beta 1.

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 25, 2013, 03:58 PM
I still can't decide if I want to risk beta 2, given the bad battery life of beta 1. Keep the results coming!

I have been pleased with the difference. I got 7hrs 43 mins yesterday on beta upgrade, before the phone did a random reboot. Otherwise, I would have probably gotten close to 9hrs.

Eager to see if there is any difference, after doing a restore without backup.

Dick Whitman
Jun 25, 2013, 04:08 PM
how are some people getting phenomenal battery life while others are getting horrible battery? I think my problem is that I upgraded to ios 7. When I first launched ios 7 I still had wallpapers from iOS 6 so it's like the two merged or overlapped or something. I want to try restoring from iOS 7 ane setting up as a new phone but I'm worried that this method will lock me out as I am not a developer. Might have to just go back to ios 6. But even then I was only ever getting max 5 hours.

Shockwave78
Jun 25, 2013, 04:14 PM
Now after a full day of use I have to say the battery is better than it was in iOS 6. Pretty crazy but I use my phone a ton and this has been a very noticeable improvement in battery life.

I was not coming from beta 1 either, I unis stalled beta 1 after a couple days because of horrible battery life. Went back to 6.1.4 and then straight to 7/beta 2.

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 25, 2013, 04:16 PM
how are some people getting phenomenal battery life while others are getting horrible battery? I think my problem is that I upgraded to ios 7. When I first launched ios 7 I still had wallpapers from iOS 6 so it's like the two merged or overlapped or something. I want to try restoring from iOS 7 ane setting up as a new phone but I'm worried that this method will lock me out as I am not a developer. Might have to just go back to ios 6. But even then I was only ever getting max 5 hours.

If you are in an area with weak cellular signal, it can drain your battery. If you are using wifi at home and the wifi signal is strong, turn off the cellular data toggle. That will save you some battery, as well as data usage. And when you leave the house, turn cellular data back on.

Dick Whitman
Jun 25, 2013, 04:41 PM
If you are in an area with weak cellular signal, it can drain your battery. If you are using wifi at home and the wifi signal is strong, turn off the cellular data toggle. That will save you some battery, as well as data usage. And when you leave the house, turn cellular data back on.

Yeah I'm generally in an area that flip flops between LTE and 3G. When I am on LTE I get 1 - 2 bars. But even when I'm away from home for the weekend I never get 8 hours of battery life.

Phanatic
Jun 25, 2013, 05:25 PM
Battery life has improved for me over beta 1.

Same here. By the end of the day from normal use on Beta 1, I would generally be in the red, below 20%. Since updating OTA to Beta 2, I'm currently sitting pretty at 48% in the afternoon. Much, much better battery performance.

Armen
Jun 25, 2013, 05:29 PM
Took my phone off the charger at 6:30am. Been listening to music at my desk with headphones on most of the day aside from reading some articles on flipboard during lunch. The battery is at 29%. on iOS6 with similiar habits I would have been at 45% at this time.

NovemberWhiskey
Jun 25, 2013, 05:47 PM

Why don't you make a poll?

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 25, 2013, 05:59 PM
I wonder how many people have Parallax running all the time. My battery percentage dropped fast with that running, after a fresh install.

ritmomundo
Jun 25, 2013, 06:36 PM
I guess it's going to take a couple days before everybody realizes that the full install is the only way to go. Kind of weird having to do this every time they release a new beta but it is what it is.

I did an OTA update (out of convenience, and no network reset or anything). My battery performance is a night and day difference. Much improved!

----------

I wonder how many people have Parallax running all the time. My battery percentage dropped fast with that running, after a fresh install.

I do. No noticeable effects on the battery for me.

Dick Whitman
Jun 25, 2013, 09:18 PM
I have a serious problem.

CharismaticNerd
Jun 25, 2013, 09:22 PM
I have a serious problem.

Turn off LTE

Dick Whitman
Jun 25, 2013, 09:47 PM
Turn off LTE

Turned off LTE for a little but still experiencing crazy battery drain. Phone is very hot too. Also I basically have to keep LTE on because the 3G is so super slow in my area.

SirithX
Jun 25, 2013, 09:51 PM
OTA to beta 2, and it's definitely been a huge improvement over beta 1. Beta 1 I would need to charge mid-day every day, iOS 6 it would last a day and some extra generally (~15-20% left the next morning). It seems so far this is lasting at least a day, which is very, very nice. I'm expecting further improvements and refinement as far as battery life since this still seems to be a bit less than what I got with iOS 6.

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 25, 2013, 09:52 PM
Turned off LTE for a little but still experiencing crazy battery drain. Phone is very hot too. Also I basically have to keep LTE on because the 3G is so super slow in my area.
If you are using LTE most of the time, that probably accounts for your big battery drain in beta, Dick.

nheilweil
Jun 25, 2013, 10:01 PM
100% to 20%
2.5 hrs usage, 1.5 hrs standby

I bought a Mophie Air to ensure iOS 7 wouldn't be an issue but b1 and now b2 are rippling through my battery pack in a couple hours and then killing my phone in another couple hours. That's with no background app updates, no parallax, and no Passbook.

I fully understand that the codes not optimized for performance until much later betas but my battery path has been:
iOS 5: OK
iOS 6: Harsh
iOS 7 b1: Crap
iOS 7 b2: FML

:-)

----------

If you are using LTE most of the time, that probably accounts for your big battery drain in beta, Dick.

Wow...chill out! He's just making a comment about his phone usage.

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 25, 2013, 10:02 PM
100% to 20%

I bought a Mophie Air to ensure iOS 7 wouldn't be an issue but b1 and now b2 are rippling through my battery pack in a couple hours and then killing my phone in another couple hours. That's with no background app updates, no parallax, and no Passbook.

I fully understand that the codes not optimized for performance until much later betas but my battery path has been:

----------

Wow...chill out! He's just making a comment about his phone usage.

I am chill. I have been talking with Dick for a few days. I am not angry nor am I yelling at him. I don't know what you are going on about.

Dick Whitman
Jun 25, 2013, 10:14 PM
100% to 20%

Same. Both beta 1 and especially beta 2 have been horrible in terms of battery life. Did you update to or restore from iOS 7? I updated, which I think has a lot to do with the problem. Even with iOS 6 though I never saw more than 5 hours of battery life. Yes, I'm not in a great LTE area but even when I am on other days I always average similar battery life. If you look at the people who have reported having fantastic battery life you will see a common theme. None of them have any little settings (wifi, Bluetooth, location, etc.) turned off. Thus, I think for those still having battery issues its something much deeper. Perhaps a corrupt process continuously running in the background. I looked at my crash reports in the settings and the two I see the most are low memory (even though I only have one or two apps open at any time) and low battery log.

----------

I am chill. I have been talking with Dick for a few days. I am not angry nor am I yelling at him. I don't know what you are going on about.

Haha I think he thought you were using my name in a more offensive manner. That or he was just kidding. Anyway thanks for your help so far. I think once I'm around an Internet connection again this weekend I'm going to try and restore from iOS 7.

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 25, 2013, 10:22 PM
Same. Both beta 1 and especially beta 2 have been horrible in terms of battery life. Did you update to or restore from iOS 7? I updated, which I think has a lot to do with the problem. Even with iOS 6 though I never saw more than 5 hours of battery life. Yes, I'm not in a great LTE area but even when I am on other days I always average similar battery life. If you look at the people who have reported having fantastic battery life you will see a common theme. None of them have any little settings (wifi, Bluetooth, location, etc.) turned off. Thus, I think for those still having battery issues its something much deeper. Perhaps a corrupt process continuously running in the background. I looked at my crash reports in the settings and the two I see the most are low memory (even though I only have one or two apps open at any time) and low battery log.

----------

Haha I think he thought you were using my name in a more offensive manner. That or he was just kidding. Anyway thanks for your help so far. I think once I'm around an Internet connection again this weekend I'm going to try and restore from iOS 7.

I hope you can get it sorted out, Dick. I know it is frustrating for you.

JJDolfan92
Jun 25, 2013, 10:23 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/f3sztx.jpg

ErikGrim
Jun 25, 2013, 10:42 PM
First thing to check if your phone is running hot and battery is draining is to see if you have an iCloud restore happening.

C DM
Jun 25, 2013, 11:24 PM
100% to 20%

----------

Wow...chill out! He's just making a comment about his phone usage.How do you get more usage than standby? :confused:

iKaushal
Jun 26, 2013, 12:24 AM
did OTA of beta 2 and I am very happy with battery life.

I used to get about 3 to 4 hrs of battery life in beta 1 and now in beta 2 its about 10 - 12 hours for me......!! amazing :apple:

ECJ
Jun 26, 2013, 12:42 AM
I bought a Morphie Helium for my i5 during beta 1. Battery was very bad. I didnt play any games or video. It would drop 10% every 30mins. Now with beta 2, its much better. I feel I don't need the Morphie Helium anymore.

iBreatheApple
Jun 26, 2013, 12:53 AM
I feel like it's still doing the whole -stay at the upper percentages forever and then skydive to zero- thing.

nheilweil
Jun 26, 2013, 01:49 AM
Haha I think he thought you were using my name in a more offensive manner.

LOL...yes, I did. I'm an idiot! My first thought was your name was Dick. And had I read through the posts like a normal person would, that would have been obvious. But having missed that I thought he was just giving you crap for having LTE on and calling you names for not knowing better!

Sorry about that guys!

freedevil
Jun 26, 2013, 02:40 AM

A poll would have been helpful.

paulmadejong
Jun 26, 2013, 06:07 AM
Battery life seems similar to Beta 1, but looks to improve each cycle. However, just now, I noticed that my iPhone 5 automatically turned off at 8% remaining battery. This happened also when I jailbreaked my device on iOS 6.1.2 (I did a restore of Beta 1 and recovered an iCloud backup and OTA for Beta 2, so perhaps a left over of the JB?)

mavis
Jun 26, 2013, 06:15 AM
Parallax, Bluetooth, and background App Refresh are off; everything else on. Phone was on LTE all day, with wifi about half of the time. OTA update to b2, followed by a "Reset All Settings." Mostly iTunes Match and Facebook + texts today, plus quite a bit of browsing.

6h11m usage
15h39m standby
13% remaining.

Not too bad at all, and a marked improvement over b1. :D

p3ncil
Jun 26, 2013, 06:49 AM
I've having issues with playing Songs.
Device will heat up and battery life will drop terribly fast.

aDRock1154
Jun 26, 2013, 07:30 AM
I've having issues with playing Songs.
Device will heat up and battery life will drop terribly fast.

I'm also having issues with Music. It just happened to me this morning. I was able to play a song and then nothing after it. I had to close the Music app and reopen.

My device isn't heating up anymore, though.

OneZweiThree
Jun 26, 2013, 07:56 AM
Battery seems pretty decent to me...
My iPhone isn`t heating up anymore, and especially the Stand-by time seems improved over b1.

I`m happy with this performance, so I think I will keep it as my daily driver.

EDIT: I did a clean install of beta2 but restored from backup instead of setting up as new.

darthraige
Jun 26, 2013, 09:15 AM
With iOS 7 beta 1 I had to charge fully 4 times in 12 hours with moderate use. With iOS 7 beta 2. Once in 12 hours. Actually lasted 18 with moderate use. Pretty solid so far. Few glitches here and there.

nigameash
Jun 26, 2013, 11:50 AM
I think the battery is much better. I did a clean install multiple times on beta 1 and barely got 4 hours on my i5. The battery life on beta 2 is close to ios 6 levels.

Dick Whitman
Jun 26, 2013, 06:32 PM
Is it possible for me to restore to iOS 6.1.4 without an Internet connection?

dictoresno
Jun 26, 2013, 07:57 PM
Is it possible for me to restore to iOS 6.1.4 without an Internet connection?

i think you should be able to if you have the IPSW file, but not 100% sure since i think itunes still wants to check with apples servers. ive never tried since im always on wifi.

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 26, 2013, 08:00 PM
i think you should be able to if you have the IPSW file, but not 100% sure since i think itunes still wants to check with apples servers. ive never tried since im always on wifi.

It checks the Apple servers.

dictoresno
Jun 26, 2013, 08:06 PM
It checks the Apple servers.

thats what i figured

gh4master97
Jun 26, 2013, 08:17 PM
hello, i have an iphone 5 running on sprint that is currently running on ios7 beta 2 because i was able to bypass the UDID activation check. i called sprint and they had to factory restore my phone to unlock my phone by erasing all my content and settings. after it erased, i could not reactivate my phone under ios7 after i got a message saying activation error, your not a developer and your phone could not be activated. i downgraded back to ios 6.1.4 and i was able to activate my phone and the guy at sprint international support told me that the unlock was successful. i then upgraded back to ios 7 beta 2 with no problems and restored all my data. im worried now that the pre-paid sim card running on orange-israel that i bought for when i travel to israel in about a week wont be able to activate on the iphone and will give me an activation error like what happened recently when i factory restored my phone running iOS 7 to unlock the phone. Does anyone know if this will be a problem, have had problems like this or are in the same position as me?

TH3D4RKKN1GH7
Jun 26, 2013, 08:23 PM
My battery life has been quite abysmal with beta 2. I'm on a 4S. Don't know if there's much I can do to fix it, so I'm rolling with my Nexus 4 until beta 3 begins.

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/1363/ai61.png

dictoresno
Jun 26, 2013, 08:32 PM
hello, i have an iphone 5 running on sprint that is currently running on ios7 beta 2 because i was able to bypass the UDID activation check. i called sprint and they had to factory restore my phone to unlock my phone by erasing all my content and settings. after it erased, i could not reactivate my phone under ios7 after i got a message saying activation error, your not a developer and your phone could not be activated. i downgraded back to ios 6.1.4 and i was able to activate my phone and the guy at sprint international support told me that the unlock was successful. i then upgraded back to ios 7 beta 2 with no problems and restored all my data. im worried now that the pre-paid sim card running on orange-israel that i bought for when i travel to israel in about a week wont be able to activate on the iphone and will give me an activation error like what happened recently when i factory restored my phone running iOS 7 to unlock the phone. Does anyone know if this will be a problem, have had problems like this or are in the same position as me?

this has nothing to do with this thread, which is about battery life. you should get acclimated with how forums work. threadjacking isnt exactly something you should do.

photogpab
Jun 26, 2013, 09:16 PM
since my battery is worse now than ever, let me just confirm that i performed the "clean install" correctly.

i downloaded the .ipsw file for beta 2, and did option + restore, selected the file, set up as "new phone".

thats all right? because right now i'm at usage of 2 hours and 30 min with only 10% left :(

karthik.k
Jun 27, 2013, 01:51 AM
I'm having a better battery life after upgrading to B2.

papa8706
Jun 27, 2013, 01:51 AM
My battery life has been quite abysmal with beta 2. I'm on a 4S. Don't know if there's much I can do to fix it, so I'm rolling with my Nexus 4 until beta 3 begins.

Image (http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/1363/ai61.png)

Getting about the same with my 4s. Tried upgrading and restoring with little to no improvement. It does okay with texting and browsing the web/email but soon as I make a phone call or play some music its drops rapidly

Prabas
Jun 27, 2013, 04:31 AM
iPhone 5. Wi-Fi, 3G and GPS (when needed, for weather etc.) is on 24/7. Bluetooth was on for about one hour (listening to the music through headphones). I'd say that battery life is quite decent.

aimee.elizabeth
Jun 27, 2013, 07:14 AM
http://puu.sh/3ptC1.PNG

My battery life has been quite terrible too. I've tried everything under the sun - I first updated to b2 OTA, but then did a clean restore with itunes backup. I've reset network settings, I've reset all settings, and nothing seems to improve my battery life. I mostly just listen to music/email/text/angry birds. I don't think those things consume too much batter, but it seems like they do. It could do with the fact that right now I am in a rural part of China and their 3G coverage is pretty abysmal, so maybe the weak signal and the constant effort of my phone trying to find signals is hurting my battery life. Would that have this much of an impact? I can get 5-6 hours of battery life at best, and over night it seems to drain 5-10%.

Prabas
Jun 27, 2013, 07:48 AM
Yes, it can have an impact, and a huge one.

TreeDude
Jun 27, 2013, 07:59 AM
Mine has been much better, but still nowhere near 6.1.3.

Beta 2 seems to have more serious memory leaks than beta 1. I find my apps get slow faster than they did in beta 1 causing me to have to reboot the phone more often. That may be part of why my battery life has been better. I am doing a rest 4-5 times a day now instead of once or twice.

VSMacOne
Jun 27, 2013, 08:03 AM
Image (http://puu.sh/3ptC1.PNG)

My battery life has been quite terrible too. I've tried everything under the sun - I first updated to b2 OTA, but then did a clean restore with itunes backup. I've reset network settings, I've reset all settings, and nothing seems to improve my battery life. I mostly just listen to music/email/text/angry birds. I don't think those things consume too much batter, but it seems like they do. It could do with the fact that right now I am in a rural part of China and their 3G coverage is pretty abysmal, so maybe the weak signal and the constant effort of my phone trying to find signals is hurting my battery life. Would that have this much of an impact? I can get 5-6 hours of battery life at best, and over night it seems to drain 5-10%.

That's the real culprit. Poor reception murders battery life!

aimee.elizabeth
Jun 27, 2013, 08:08 AM
That's the real culprit. Poor reception murders battery life!

Hmm alright, thanks! I guess I'll have to wait until I get back to the states to see how ios7's battery life really performs.

deathr0w
Jun 27, 2013, 08:08 AM
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/1557/bbdh.png

:eek:
So far,, EXCELLENT battery life for me, even better than IOS6, canīt complain really

Prime85
Jun 27, 2013, 08:23 AM
Image (http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/1557/bbdh.png)

So far,, EXCELLENT battery life for me, even better than IOS6, canīt complain really

Mine is good as well until I start listening to music. Then it drops from the 90s to 60s in the hour I am at the gym.

aimee.elizabeth
Jun 27, 2013, 09:19 AM
Image (http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/1557/bbdh.png)

That's amazing :( I'd be around 20-30% at 3 hours. What do you do mostly on your phone?

apollo1444
Jun 27, 2013, 09:44 AM
I'm having 40% better battery than B1 but god, playing music murders the battery

PedroDias
Jun 27, 2013, 09:50 AM
My battery has gotten worse. I'm getting about 4 hours usage with parallax and most localization services turned of.

kayloh20
Jun 27, 2013, 10:26 AM
I would say mine is worse. Only two hours usage before going down to around 5% of battery life. I don't have Bluetooth turned on, but I do have Wi-Fi and I was using spotty cellular and music quite a bit.

That being said, what's interesting is that it is worse than the first beta...considerably. I hope the next one at least is a step towards where the first one was.

bushido
Jun 27, 2013, 11:48 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2v92cg9.png

not really sure where those 5 hours are coming from as i just left work like an hour ago and i unplugged it this morning.

i have bluetooth, gps, background fetching turned off as well as wifi when im not at home. i also close all apps when i dont use them. using anything that requires a internet connection seems to drain it quite fast and it gets "warm" not as hot as it did on beta 1 but still unusual warm

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 27, 2013, 12:49 PM
Usage - 3hrs 27 minutes

Standby - 15hrs 11 minutes

63% battery left

aimee.elizabeth
Jun 27, 2013, 01:46 PM
It's interesting that people have been mentioning that the music app appears to be a big battery killer as well. Maybe that's the problem - everyone is still listening to music and expecting the same battery life, but maybe some underlying changes caused the music app to suck more battery in these betas. So if the people who get good battery life (6hr+) could confirm whether they listen to music as a big chunk of their usage or not, that would be very helpful in narrowing down the specific causes for the polarizing statistics on battery life.

Msan
Jun 27, 2013, 04:18 PM
Can't complain here either..

robotphood
Jun 27, 2013, 04:38 PM
I'm getting well over double the battery life in Beta 2. Same usage. The first discharge however was going fairly quick (something in the BG stayed active/leaking but I couldn't narrow it down). I killed all apps and hard reboot and battery life has been great. Haven't used the music app yet. Will give it a try and see.

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 27, 2013, 04:41 PM
Usage 5:50 minutes

Standby 19hrs 2 minutes

39% battery

Used a third party app to record a 2hr+ lecture this morning. Have had multiple apps open this afternoon, moderate surfing and listening to iTunes Radio.

daviddth
Jun 27, 2013, 05:06 PM
with the fact that right now I am in a rural part of China and their 3G coverage is pretty abysmal, so maybe the weak signal and the constant effort of my phone trying to find signals is hurting my battery life. Would that have this much of an impact?

Massive reason there, yes. I used to get 1 bar of 3G coverage at work and it was not unusual to lose 60-80% in 12 hours. Now I have 5 bars thanks to microcells, I lose 10% in the same time

B2 may have the edge on battery here, but it still seems to want to use location services a little more than I would like, thus affecting battery. I think I'm maybe 1/4 worse than the last version of iOS6, but put that down to the Beta

Sethdavidsdad
Jun 27, 2013, 06:41 PM
Don't know what changed but today battery life has been great. Before today battery was awful!

mrcam216
Jul 4, 2013, 06:35 AM
I upgraded my software to 7 beta 2 yesterday afternoon and my battery was terrible. I was loosing like 1 percentage every 30 to 45 seconds and my phone was crazy hot. I am one of the people that did not pay the $100 blah blah blah. What I did to fix the battery was did a clean instal by clicking restore. (not alt update) It installed the ios 7 beta two and i was unable to activate it since i'm not a developer. (Which i knew would happen) Then I downgraded back to 6.1.4, then upgraded it back to ios 7 beta 2 using the alt upgrade option. Now my battery works excellent. Hope this helps any non developers like me that should not have ios7 bust just couldn't resist the temptation.

Bobajobbob
Jul 4, 2013, 09:07 AM
Beta 2 battery life is significantly better than beta 1 for me. Not quite as good as iOS6 but not far off. Good enough that I am able to run it on my day to day phone. I have turned off Traffic, Popular near me and Frequent locations from location services but otherwise am using the phone normally.

coffeemadmanUK
Jul 4, 2013, 09:12 AM
So far yes, better battery.

Though I have now turned off dynamic wallpapers and the parallax so that might also be having an effect.

daviddth
Jul 4, 2013, 06:03 PM
Yes I think it may actually be better here but I can't show time since last charge as when phone reap rings after a crash that number gets erased. At the moment I have 25% battery left after roughly 38 hours standby and last I looked it had 7 hours of light use.

HeyKatie
Jul 4, 2013, 10:30 PM
I can't tell if mine is better or worse because it never shows my batter stats even after a full recharge.

Damolee
Jul 5, 2013, 01:48 PM
Not that great here. Not as good as iOS 6. Turned Parallax off, traffic location services and a few others. Use to get about an hours usage per 10% battery roughly. Evened out to around 8 hrs. Won't get that here. Shame.

Damolee
Jul 6, 2013, 06:23 AM
Well that's more like it. Sorted.

Installed iOS 6, did iCloud restore. Created a new back up in iTunes.

Installed iOS 7 beta 1 and restored from the new back up, then run the OTA to 2. Perfecto!

Apps are going to look superb in this once the final GM is out.

SanjeevRana
Jul 6, 2013, 07:27 PM
Disabled Location Services for weather and disabled Background Refresh for both and now battery on Beta 2 is phenomenal !!!!

(All the usage below is iTunes Radio streaming over LTE, little Safari, Whatsapp as usual , few iMessages and Calls, little FB)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-XpIXvFYxJlM/Udixy70urdI/AAAAAAAAd6w/5LVmCIlu2PA/s400/IMAGE_63BDD54B-7098-4127-8DAD-F0F5B13025A8.PNG